PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

bacpacker
05-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Today while working up the garden and started haveing trouble with the drive system. I've only had this tiller for less than 2 years so I've never had any trouble with it. It is a belt drive system. I tried to get into it and repair today. I really had never gave it much thought, but the sheild around the belt is held on by some torx head bolts. I have all kinds of different tools, but have never ran across anything that had them, so before I can work on the tiller I gotta go buy more tools. Damn! Not sure if the belt just needs adjusting or if it's chuncked and will have to be replaced.

What are other different type tools you all have ran across that aren't your normal type stuff?

biggcarl
05-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Harbor Freight sells a set of bits for almost every type of security bolt/screw that you're likely to run across. Priced fairly cheap too if I recall correctly.

alaska
05-08-2011, 02:34 AM
yeah they have torx and then theres safety torx wich are hollow in the middle

THROWS backpacker the key to my snap on box. ENJOY.

PS. if its troy built throw it away and buy a new one lol

bacpacker
05-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys. BTW Alaska you'd never get rid of me from the snap on box! It's actually a Huskee from tractor supply. I don't like it near as well as the old troy buit's my stepdad has. they are direct drive (gearbox not belt), will accept multiple attachments, and will get down and dig. Multiple gears and speed range as well. The only plus mine has is a honda engine. The new troynuilts are not nearly as good from what I've seen.

alaska
05-08-2011, 03:57 AM
most troy built anything from 2000 on up is junk. Its actually put together by a buncha different subs and sold under the troy built name. I had the " privledge" to be a service manager for a small engine repair shop. The name that came in the most was troy built. Engines in them self are all good. Honda is great but you should never have any problems really with any of the brands. Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Tecumseh,Wisconsin.

I am curious to see what you find after you get into it.

As for the box here is the one I have
KRL1022BPJJ, Roll Cab, Double Bank, 13 Drawers, Extreme Green (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=storage&item_ID=91776&group_ID=17806&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog)

bacpacker
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Sweet box. I'm lookin for a new bottom box. Mine's an old Craftsman I had since 73. I replaced the lttle top box that came with it with a nice Mac box back in 79.

My dad's troybilts are both early-mid 90's vintage. He has a 5 & 8 horse model. Other than tines and oil changes, he's done nothing to either of them.

LUNCHBOX
05-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Bacpacker.....I looked at the Huskee tillers and the guy at TS took me aside and said they just give out. For the $$$ he said go somewhere else. (I have dealt with this guy woth my Cub Cadet stuff in the past so he tells me how it is. Just a heads up.

bacpacker
05-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Thats exactly what I'm starting to see already. I've been searching Criaglist for a old 8hp troy bilt. They were well made and hold up well. New ones are garbage. Plus I have a dealer just a few miles away that can get most any part for Troy bilt tiller and mowers. They also have a good service shop if I can't figure something out.