PDA

View Full Version : Weather

4suchatimeasthis
09-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Something occurred to me during Issac, with my multiple online visits to various weather sites......I have no idea how to read the weather. It seems like post shtf that would be a good thing to know.

Back in the day I think most everyone knew how, at the very least farmers did. I'm pretty sure my 89yr old Grandfather can, I remember him telling me something about some bug making noises and figuring out something about something....bah, I don't remember. I also remember hearing something about when the cows to do such and such, it means one thing and something else it means something. See, I'm lost here!

I wonder how a person would learn about this sort of thing. Post fan if we aren't getting weather updates on our smart phones, weather channel, or online, it would be nice to know the basics.

Oh, and I need something a little more in depth than the weather rock. http://new.yankeemagazine.com/sites/new.yankeemagazine.com/files/yankee-weathe-rock-sign.jpg

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Farmer's Almanac is a good place to start, wealth of information. Me I learned allot as a "squid" in the Navy. Has a way of creepin up on ya out at sea, especially at night.

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

4suchatimeasthis
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I have in times past read the farmers/poor richards almanac....lots of good stuff in them!

Sniper-T
09-01-2012, 05:47 PM
When the cows are grouped tight together, it means some foul weather is coming in. When They're all spread out, expect nice weather.

bacpacker
09-01-2012, 08:44 PM
They will also move to the fence opposite the way the wx is coming in.

LUNCHBOX
09-02-2012, 10:10 AM
IIRC, I think cows will lay down when rain/weather is coming. Something about birds taking to trees and not flying???

4suchatimeasthis
09-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I grew up on cattle farm, and the only thing I remember the cows doing before bad weather blew in was to mosey over to the barn and stand under the lean to. That's about as helpful as a weather rock, lol.

Now the horses, they are dumb critters, they stand out in the weather, snow, rain, sleet or hail.

realist
09-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Regarding your rock it is supposed to be hung off a tripod. Otherwise you will never be able to tell if it is windy..........

In our area it is the clouds that will help tell you what is coming. We are lucky because it usually takes a couple of days before any hits us.