PDA

View Full Version : What camouflage is best for your location?

The Stig
09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
While this is likely mostly appropriate for catastrophic meltdowns it can also apply to hunting, avoiding detection and kick-ass games of hide & go seek.

What camouflage type is best for your location?

I have three main types of camouflage BDU's in my rotation: 3-color desert (DCU's), 6-color desert (chocolate chips) and old-skool Woodland's from the 1980's.

Here they are in the general vegetation type common in my area. I hope to get out into a pine forest too see how they perform since there's so much pine in this area. But this is a good start for a discussion.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-09-03_11-29-00_718.jpg

Woodland, 6-Color, 3-color. I didn't realize the woodlands on the left were obscured by a bush. That said, you can see that even been relatively new they blend in nicely. Coincidentally the 3-color desert's fell in a pocket of sunshine and seem to radiate. 6-color's not so bad.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-09-03_11-30-26_843.jpg

3-color, woodland, 6-color. Here both the desert schemes seem to do a little better but the woodlands blend nicely. Picture taken at 15 yards.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-09-03_11-30-41_500.jpg

Same group from 30ish yards. The woodlands disappear. 6-colors do ok but the 3-colors again stand out like a sore thumb.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-09-03_11-33-02_976.jpg

3-color desert, 6-color desert, woodland.

Once again the woodland's on the left are flat gone at 20ish yards. The 1990's vintage chocolate chips do ok and the 3-color's radiate in the sunlight.

Depending on what happens later today I'll try the same thing again once the sun goes down. But early returns are indicating I need to snag some more woodland BDU's for my stash.

helomech
09-03-2012, 05:47 PM
We are mostly pine also, but do have some hardwoods. Ground around my house is iron ore, but other spots are sand and then good soil in some places. Here is a pic of my son hiding in his ghilie suit. (spelling)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/hunting/456144_2029257027301_1720919291_o.jpg

Echo2
09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I have found that in my AO depending on season....

Spring...standard mil woodland shirt/pants

Summer....woodland shirt....coyote brown or desert pants

Fall...I really dig the Realtree stuff....and dirty tan or gray pants/shirt

Winter....I have a set if faded charcoal gray....and a set of faded sheriff brown....swap either or....and wow...you would be amazed.

I do keep my ghilisuit up to snuff (hooded tunic with rear drape)....along with my leg bands, veil, and gloves....add some natural foliage.....presto.

GunnerMax
09-03-2012, 06:40 PM
NWU Type 3s, Marpat and old school woodlands go best here, with ACU in the Urban areas.

Gunfixr
09-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Several areas I've been seem to work well with Multicam, but Woodland isn't too far off. Kinda depends on the season, and area.
The Desert patterns are ok in some drier areas in the summer.
While I have Multicam, the later Desert pattern, and ACUs, mostly I just use earth tone colors, such as a brown or tan pair of pants with shades of green shirts.

ETA: For hunting, my wife made me a set of Multicam insulated coveralls. Since coveralls are warmer than a separate shirt and pants, she took a set, sewed them together and added a lining.
They are quite warm.

Evolver
09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Sorry to say but... For us it's a black hoody and baggy denims

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/19/article-1214549-067EB705000005DC-404_468x353.jpg

cwconnertx
09-04-2012, 12:52 AM
I've pretty much only gone with Multicam, I've done little testing but it seems to work ok, the hard part about the north texas area is we are right between the deserts of west texas and the pine forests of east texas.

Its a hard area to deal with, but Multicam seems to be one of the best patterns I've come across. I can't really depend on multiple patterns, I travel a lot mostly across the southeast and this seems to be the best option I've come across

realist
09-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Where we are woodland seems to be best. Even OD green blends in very well especially in an urban environment. Evolver I look at black as a target indicator soooooooooo......they could just be targets of opportunity. I am going to test out some of the other desert camo designs. They my be good in the late fall around here due to the dry grasses.

Evolver
09-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Where we are woodland seems to be best. Even OD green blends in very well especially in an urban environment. Evolver I look at black as a target indicator soooooooooo......they could just be targets of opportunity. I am going to test out some of the other desert camo designs. They my be good in the late fall around here due to the dry grasses.

It's not you that I'm worried about. :) We live close to "The Hood" so for us it's going to be more important to blend in as much as possible. (wink) I've even been working on the swagger.

Evolver
09-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Also... As some say keep your friends and family close but keep your enemy closer.

Echo2
09-05-2012, 02:33 AM
be far enough away the enemies take care of taking care of each other....:)

msomnipotent
09-05-2012, 02:42 AM
In my area it would be Christian Louboutin shoes and Chanel. Unfortunately, I'm not even joking. Any kind of camouflage would stick out like a sore thumb if we had to evacuate and we would look suspicious enough to have the police called on us. What kind of camouflage would someone recommend? The oldest tree in our subdivision is probably 10 years old. Our subdivision is the oldest for a couple of miles. The "wildest" area is the sod farm near us. I would probably just stick to traveling at night and wear all black in certain emergencies. I would wear name brand jeans and a college sweatshirt or t shirt (a decent college but not too prestigious) and my husband has khaki cargo pants and a polo if we had to blend in/evacuate during the day.

realist
09-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Evolver I understand about keeping your enemies close however I also believe long distance is the next best thing to being there.........

Sniper-T
09-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Around here, mossy oak is probably one of the best, although it has some drawbacks in the height of summer, as well as the depths of winter. I have a couple different types of snow camo, but they are 'meh' at best. Even brand new, they could not mimic the pure white of snow. That's kinda like me... Pure as the driven sn... yeah, no! I can't even say that with a straight face. :)

Kodiak
09-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Here in southern ohio woodland would prob be a good choice.

Grumpy Old Man
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Fall mossy oak type pattern is good in the desert as are tans cargo pants and a mossy oak fall pattern t-shirt. I have multi-cams that are good too. In the mountains I have a woodland digital that works pretty well. I have found over time that subdued colors like gray, dark green, green and black plaids are effective in the woods as well. And sometimes for shits and giggles I'll wear my tiger stripe BDUs, but they really are good for much out here.

bacpacker
09-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Woodland is good for most of the year around here. I like my tiger stripes as well. I got a mossy oak parka that is pretty good in the winter since we get so little snow here.

LUNCHBOX
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Don't take this wrong (cause I like my cammies) but maybe regular civilian attire would almost be the way to go. Most individuals will be in civilian clothing unless they were ahead of the curve and that could make them/you a target. Of course, if your looking for that added edge or keeping a low profile (hiding) them camo is the way to go.

Gunfixr
09-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Well, where we actually live, Evolver's pic is right on.

I guess I'll just have to stand out then, because I'm not wearing my pants down below my ass, I don't care what anybody says about how cool it is.

Funny thing is, it started in prison as an "ad" for being available to be someone's "bitch".

realist
09-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Gunfixer you are just old fashion. I bet you remember way back when gay used to mean that you were happy...

To change gears a little we have gone over what we will be wearing, what about vehicles or locations? I see vehicles as being the hardest. If you have a completely camo vehicle and you go to your business meeting it might just draw a little attention unless you are a logger. So what about your vehicle, how are you going to set it up so you can camo it out but still be able to use it everyday. I have a bunch of camo netting that I keep on hand and want to add to it. However I do not carry it all the time it is stored at home.

As for my locations tree screens are good but they stand out too. I do like blackberries, because they will hide anything. I remember one home, if you want to call it that, was abated had a pile of old tires two stories tall covered with blackberries. Just some thoughts.

idahobob
09-10-2012, 01:38 PM
In our AO, Woodland works well. I'm going to do some experiments with this one:

http://www.a-tacs.com/2011/11/introducing-a-tacs-fg-camo/

It looks promising. Plus Propper makes it.:cool:

Bob
III

rentprop1
09-11-2012, 01:50 AM
On the bonus features on the DVD of the movie Shooter, Mark W said , you don't know if that tree is gonna be there, camo is something you do in the field ???

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-11-2012, 02:51 AM
I'd say a burgundy/brown leather, it really goes with the couch.....................

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

The Stig
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Don't take this wrong (cause I like my cammies) but maybe regular civilian attire would almost be the way to go. Most individuals will be in civilian clothing unless they were ahead of the curve and that could make them/you a target. Of course, if your looking for that added edge or keeping a low profile (hiding) them camo is the way to go.

I don't think camouflage is necessarily limited to military issue BDUs. As you say, blending in might just be a low profile outfit.

Depends on the situation and your needs to define what the best "camouflage" would be.

Showing up to a swap meet in a suit and tie might make you stand out a tad. Walking through the rough part of town with a fur coat makes you a prime target.

As always, mission drives the gear.

Gunfixr
09-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I do remember when gay meant happy.

My BOV is already mostly earth-tone colors, so it's more or less ok now. However, as I drive almost 40 miles each way, and the BOV gets something around 12-14mpg, I drive something else, so I can paint it any color I like.
Lots of folks around here are into hunting, and there is lots of prime hunting not that far away, so there are more than a few trucks decked out for hunting running around. It wouldn't stand out excessively.

ak474u
09-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd say a burgundy/brown leather, it really goes with the couch.....................

Maybe that would work for this guy?

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/support-our-civilians/

Stormfeather
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
One of the best Ive found so far has got to be multicam. Now, there is one camo pattern out there that I have to admit, cannot be beat. I had a set a long long time ago, and truly regret losing them here so many years later. That camo pattern is Thailand Royal Marines Tigerstripe from the late 80's. It was a black base, with a almost neon green and dark green stripe pattern. They worked extensively good in heavily forested areas. Ive never found another pair since that fit me. Being as how they are from Thailand, they are geared for a much smaller size and larger sizes are hard to find. I actually got my set when I did a training mission there and did some horse trading with a Thai Marine for a full set with boonie hat.

This is about the closest match I can find for it. . . http://www.ebay.com/itm/b0589-60-Vietnam-era-Thai-Tiger-Stripe-Camo-short-brim-boonie-hat-/380396131589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5891605505

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't think camouflage is necessarily limited to military issue BDUs. As you say, blending in might just be a low profile outfit.

Depends on the situation and your needs to define what the best "camouflage" would be.

Showing up to a swap meet in a suit and tie might make you stand out a tad. Walking through the rough part of town with a fur coat makes you a prime target.

In order to infiltrate the enemy one must smell like the enemy.................Fish balls and rice! Camel shit on a stick! Goats and onions! Need I say more?

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe that would work for this guy?

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/support-our-civilians/

I was a "couch potatoe" at the time of my writing that thank you.

ak474u
09-13-2012, 02:45 AM

My buddy knows the guy (a class III manuf.) who did blank firing weapons for blackhawk down, saving private Ryan etc. he in turn knows the people who do the uniforms and tac gear for various movies... He was talking to my buddy about "train how you fight" etc. well, my buddy opened his mouth about he should train in a suit, with the chest rig from Heat... The movie prop guy offered to have someone make it for him, AND pay for the course, if he would take a tactical rifle course in a suit dressed like he was in the movie. He chickened out, but talk about looking out of place... Lol

izzyscout21
09-13-2012, 03:56 AM
My buddy knows the guy (a class III manuf.) who did blank firing weapons for blackhawk down, saving private Ryan etc. he in turn knows the people who do the uniforms and tac gear for various movies... He was talking to my buddy about "train how you fight" etc. well, my buddy opened his mouth about he should train in a suit, with the chest rig from Heat... The movie prop guy offered to have someone make it for him, AND pay for the course, if he would take a tactical rifle course in a suit dressed like he was in the movie. He chickened out, but talk about looking out of place... Lol

I'm down. I'll take the offer. Gotta get my Al Pacino on..........:cool:

Stormfeather
09-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm down. I'll take the offer. Gotta get my Al Pacino on..........:cool:

Heck yea, I would do that with ya too!

Taz Baby
09-13-2012, 10:31 PM
This would work most of the year except for spring.
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/callouts/mossy_oak_infinity_camo_life.jpg

This would work for spring and summer

http://www.camouflagepatterns.com/content/modules/rhino.pages/files/uploads/camouflage/mossy-oak/obsession-001.jpg

But where we are it really doesn't matter. we don't need to hide we are far enough in the woods away from civilization.

Twitchy
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Big fan of multicam myself, but i stumbled upon the following VERY effective patterns a few days ago...

http://www.a-tacs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_4896agilite_atacs_au1-1024x628.jpg
http://www.a-tacs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fg-front-1.jpg
http://a-tacs.com/images/where-to-buy-img.jpg

Its two different patterns, Standard A-TAC (The desert-ish one) and A-TAC FG (the green one...) I've seen pictures of it in use and its REALLY nice!

However, I also vouch for the "low profile" camouflage in most situations... Each type of camouflage has its own specific use... Gotta figure out which ones you need in your local area, be it fatigues, or fatigues and a set of roughed up clothes to play the part if your in a high population area... Like I said, all depends on the specific situation.

izzyscout21
09-14-2012, 02:08 AM
I like ATACS, but im so invested in other camo systems, it's just not cost effective for me.

ak474u
09-14-2012, 04:04 AM
I like ATACS, but im so invested in other camo systems, it's just not cost effective for me.

I've thought about Atacs too, I like the green one, but MC goes better with my OD and black gear

cwconnertx
09-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I know about being invested, I have probably close to 2000 in my armor that is multicam (just the soft parts), doubt I'll be switching anytime soon.

This prepping isn't good for the bank account. But changing camo patterns would be eve worse.