PDA

View Full Version : Thinking outside the Medicine cabinet

Sniper-T
09-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Had this kicking around for a couple weeks now (via email), I haven't researched them all, but some seem sound. Does anyone have any experience with these (good or bad)

thoughts?

Did you know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can
relieve headache pain almost immediately-without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers?

Did you know that Colgate Toothpaste makes an excellent
salve for burns?

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler
filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously
strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose..

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 tablespoon
horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes,
then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of
honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day The vinegar kills the
bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just
dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of
the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections
almost instantly-even though the product was never advertised for this
use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes...... Cover the blemish with
a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria,
keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus: Get rid of unsightly
toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine Mouthwash. The
powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in
eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal
Clear Nail Polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing
bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409.. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover: Just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All
over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The
splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's Tomato Paste boil cure.. Cover the boil with Hunt's
Tomato Paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister,
dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic..

Vinegar to heal bruises... Soak a cotton ball in white
vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the
blueness and speeds up the healing process..

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief.... it's not for breakfast
anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the
mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

4suchatimeasthis
09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Wow!!! Awesome thread! I may actually need to print this one up, and stick it in my medicine cabinet. Thanks for posting!

bacpacker
09-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Good stuff T.

Echo2
09-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I like it....I think I'll test a small patch of the Colgate though before I slather it up....:eek:

Willie51
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
bacteria.

The DW swears by this and used on our children and still does today when we start feeling a sore throat coming on.

Evolver
09-05-2012, 10:55 PM
One Tsp of mustard or dill pickles as an antacid in place of Rolaids.

JustAPrepper
09-05-2012, 11:04 PM
As for the Urinary Tract Infection and Alka Seltzer - the same can be said for regular old Baking Soda. It's an Alkaline thing. It *won't* cure the infection but it will help alleviate the symptoms of burning and constant feelings of wanting to urinate. I just googled the mixture and it's 1 cup water:1 teaspoon Baking Soda. ***Don't rely on this for too long. UTI's are actually quite serious. A few years ago I had a Hemorrhagic UTI, ie, blood in my urine. Ended up in the ER. Another thing to keep on hand is AZO Standard (which I always have on hand). Funny name but it's found in every drug store. Causes your urine to turn red/orange/bright yellow but also alleviates the pain symptoms. You can also store Cranberry supplements. Something I purchased after that event but am guilty of never taking. :(

Listerine and Toenail Fungus - If you don't have Listerine available use straight, every day vinegar. Years ago I caught a Toenail Fungus on one of my toes from a boyfriend. I saw a doctor about it and they prescribed a very potent...and expensive...medication for it but the Physician's Assistant pulled me aside and told me to fore-go all that and use vinegar several times a day. I bought a cheap bottle and kept it near the tub. Every morning and night I would douse my toe nail with vinegar. It took several months, at least for the entire nail to completely grow out and then some (I suspect for the Quick to heal) but eventually it started growing back healthy.

Taz Baby
09-09-2012, 01:30 AM
bacteria.

The DW swears by this and used on our children and still does today when we start feeling a sore throat coming on.

Also 1 capful of peroxide to 4 oz. water, gargle 3 times a day for 3 days. peroxide kills strep. I gargle everyday with straight peroxide.

Echo2
09-10-2012, 02:39 AM
Also 1 capful of peroxide to 4 oz. water, gargle 3 times a day for 3 days. peroxide kills strep. I gargle everyday with straight peroxide.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/11/6/d9265592-5181-4505-b08f-2c0addf9ea50.jpg

4suchatimeasthis
09-10-2012, 09:50 PM
"Johnny was a chemist son, but Johnny is no more, what Johnny thought was H2O was H2So4" .....