PDA

View Full Version : Cache: Better safe than sorry

Sniper-T
09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Does anyone maintain a cache? what's it's purpose? Is it enroute home or to your BOL? How often do you check on it or update it? What do you have in it?

I came across this article a while back, I don't know where, but the author is notated.

CACHE: BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY

by Ian McInnis

"The idea of caching may be drastic to some, but not if you are a student
of history...."

(American Survival Guide // December 1994)

Let’s face it. The idea of actually taking your prize possessions and putting them into hiding, or caching, seems almost ludicrous. Personally, I like to get them out and just “play” with them. I take great pride in owning my toys. Caching, to place something in hiding, really does seem a bit drastic in a sense, doesn’t it? In this article the assertion that everyone must decide for themselves stands alone. Is the time at hand? Only you can answer that. Still, if you think it may be, keep reading.

In an effort to focus on a more practical or rational point of view, the past must be explored. Historically, people have always used so called implements of war for both peaceful and forceful purposes. To foment uprisings, disturb the peace, or to thwart the same. By implements of war we mean, tools such as firearms, bows, edged or pointed objects and blunt instruments. The people who advocate “gun control” (a euphemism for people control) do not actually fear the implements of war, they fear those who possess the implements of war. Therefor, the agenda must be seen for what it really is: a plan to control a population, while limiting the liability to those seizing the power. A historical list of these lessons would fill volumes and volumes. Clearly, our own history should ring a familiar bell in terms of people control. The British Crown, advocated the total disarmament of the colonial population by whatever means possible, including, finally, shooting all those civilians bearing firearms. Caching, or hiding clearly stands as the antithesis of this agenda. Caching must be more than just stashing them in your back yard. It must be carefully contrived and perfectly executed. So, for the sake of simplicity and organization here, caching has been divided into three “threat” levels. Each level corresponds to the threat level perceived by the individual caching. Then, a brief description of caches or an anatomy of a cache. Finally, a complete explanation for deployment of your cache. Level one, defined as a hasty “hiding” of your cache items. This, most often, will be hidden in the home or work. The principal idea, to have the item close at hand. The major disadvantage, it can be found relatively easily by a trained searcher, thus, a high risk. Preparation for the caching items does not require extensive work, only light plastic covering like 4 mil bags and light oiling. Level one most commonly will be used when the threat level to your cache items tends to be low. Level two, has a more serious nature to it. Here you will prepare the cache for a longer term. The threat to the items you have is potentially high, perhaps they are either illegal or will be. In a level two cache, preparation will be similar to a level three, the deployment will differ. The proximity to your operational area must be far enough removed to be out of direct range, yet, still within a half hour of travel under normal circumstances. For example, a gym locker or a friend’s garage. Here, the cache will be available, though not directly accessible. Level three, the threat is imminent. Signals have given you a clear cut reason to be greatly concerned. Perhaps, confiscation or incarceration could transpire. Thus, a level three cache must be prepared for a long term storage. High threat level caches tend to be organized like military caches for obvious reasons. Deployment should be within one hour range of your operational area and be set up to meet the needs you feel may arise. The critical nature of a level three cache calls for strict attention to detail. There are several ways to deploy high threat caches, including burial, submersion and concealment.

ANATOMY OF A CACHE:

When the cache parameters require long term storage capabilities, the cache must be deployed using a layered system. This layering consists of four elements: the item you are caching, an inner protective membrane, a closed barrier and a container. We will discuss each of these briefly.

1. The item you intend to cache. For the sake of the article, the author uses an AKM rifle, a .22 pistol, some ammo and a selection of gear.

2. Each item that contains ferrous metal (metal made with iron) must be coated or covered with a protective membrane to restrict corrosion or rust. Here the author uses a thin coating of lithium grease, although there are many excellent such preservatives. A word of caution, some products designed for specific applications may not be suited to long term storage. Check with the manufacturer to be sure. Also, the heavier the preservative you use, the more cleaning there will be. Stocks made of plastic need no special treatment. Wood stocks should be treated with the manufacturer’s suggested treatment like linseed oil. Chinese imports, come with a heavy coating of grease, for good reason. The cacher should take a lesson from them.

3. Once coated, the items get the bag. A good choice would be a 4 mil thick plastic bag. Some bags like the one shown are laced with a special treatment to resist oxidation. Double bagging offers the most security in the event of a container compromise. Simply push the air from the bag and seal it shut. Here the author uses simple zip ties from any automotive store.

4. There are many different types of containers available to the public.

The author likes to use PVC tubing, SDR-35 (sewer and drain pipe) this pipe comes in standard 20-foot lengths and the caps are standard fittings. To cut the pipe, use a reciprocating saw. Permanently seal one end with PVC glue and cap the other end with a standard boot cap. The Patriot Safe shown here is an excellent example of the preassembled caches on the market. To seal the lid for long term storage, use the same lithium grease around the inside of the lid to create an air tight, water tight seal. When the lid is pressed on the safe, an air lock is created through the compression of the air in the container. Once the air pressure settles, the lid is held in place by a negative vacuum, much like the thermal dynamics in a hot or cold beverage container. To remove the lid, equal force must be exerted on the lid upwards. If you have difficulty, a hole may be drilled in the top of the lid to offset the air pressure. Cache containers using threaded closures can leak due to capillary action. Great care must be exercised to insure a correct leak proof seal. Use an “O”-ring or a gasket if possible. The author has learned that grease alone will not seal the threaded closure well enough. When out shopping, use a keen eye, some plumbing parts are not built to high enough tolerance standards to achieve the right fit. Be sure to get good parts or purchase a pre-made canister from a reputable company. In the long run this will save you time and money.

Place the items you intend to cache into the canister. A dry run or two may be needed to get all the parts in satisfactorily. Finally, desiccant can be helpful to reduce any residual moisture trapped inside the container. Desiccant, hygroscopic by nature (meaning to attract moisture in the atmosphere) will trap the moisture and hold it. Arguably, desiccant is only needed in areas where the relative humidity is high enough to rust things standing still, but the added safety will help. Here the author used CaSO4 known as Dri-rite. This desiccant can be found in many drug stores and mail order houses. It does not create any gases or third agents when exposed to water, making it excellent for caching. Place the desiccant into a breathable sachet, like an old cotton sock, then, toss it into the canister prior to sealing.

STRATEGIC, TACTICAL PLANNING:

Strategic and tactical considerations for a level three cache.

1. The site you choose must be carefully chosen to meet the demands.
A. Dependable—Under situations of duress, does the site have the ability to have a security team watch over it?
B. Proximity—If transportation becomes scarce, can the site be walked to?
C. Control—Do you have control of the site or will there be construction? Could earth movement cause a possible breach of the site?
D. Site Address—Can the site be easily located, are there landmarks to guide you?

2. Deployment—Choose a site familiar to you. Perhaps one that you know from your childhood or hunting trips. Geographic points not subject to change can not be over emphasized. Large outcroppings of rocks, permanent manmade structures or physical landmarks all may help you later when you go to retrieve your safe. Finally, you must find or create an accurate address to your cache site.

A site address contains the following bits of data:
1. Find the six or eight digit grid coordinates by using a standard military grid system. See FM-21-26 MAP READING and LAND NAVIGATION, for more information.

2. Draw a physical map of the cache site. Detail the major land marks not subject to change. Use a sturdy paper then treat with a map preservative.

3. The contents of the safe, a basic description.

4. The date the cache was placed in the ground.

5. If any of the safe contents are subject to time limitation, like food, medical supplies.

6. Also, include any information on safety precautions such as booby traps (NOT recommended), warning devices or area hazards such as high power lines, gas lines, unfriendly people, etc.
While there are several ways to cache a level three cache, here we discuss a burial type.

To create a space for the cache, plan on working. Power tools, such as post hole augers will make the job easier, still, hand tools will be handy. Keep the site as sterile as possible. Earth removed from the hole you create should be treated with caution. Ground cloths help keep the environment clean surrounding the site. Remember, the earth or soil you displace must be removed. A good way to remove the soil would be burlap sacks. If the area resembles an archaeological dig, it may tip your hand. A vertical space (90 degrees to the ground) will offer less of a metal registry, yet, a well placed cache site, in theory, should support any type of burial. One very important advantage to placing the cache container perpendicular to the ground will be the retrieval of the cached items. A cache place parallel to the ground must be totally removed, while a perpendicular cache can be accessed and re-sealed. Dig the hole or make the place you want to use suitable. Once your cache is in the earth or placed in your space, the area needs to be physically sterilized. Create a natural look. Do what you can to make the cache site look as natural as possible.

Finally, a few tips to remember when caching.

1. Think in terms of security. While you may not be under duress when you cache the items, retrieval may be quite another story.

2. Keep the information about your cache to yourself. A braggart may not find his cache there upon his return. If you must tell someone, do so via your address.

3. Make several caches, complete with a variety of items. Remember, things in good supply today may be scarce in a rush.

4. You can not totally secure a site, metal detectors in the hands of a pro will find the cache, so cache in places they will never look. Increase any possible search area by going further out.

5. Read all the data you can on the subject, it can never hurt to be as well read as possible.

In closing, the idea of caching may be drastic to some, but not if you are a student of history. Think in terms of being a treasure hider. What do you treasure most that may come under the scrutiny of certain people? Cache it!

We stand as the last bastion of freedom. Now, as in the past, we have a duty to perform. It does seem a bit odd to put your prized possessions into a cache, and what a shame we even must consider it. Still, the alternative of hoping nothing happens, while waiting to see, is simply foolish. Indeed, drastic times always call for drastic measures. So do your part, dig deep, but do not delay, because the future of this great land depends, in part, on what you have prepared for.

4suchatimeasthis
09-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I always thought a junkyard, under a particular car, would be a good place to stash a cache :) Too bad I don't have one!

Echo2
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes....a few of the folks in the group do.....I keep one with a few basic supplies....more for COMMs than anything.

Kodiak
09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Ive thought about placing one back in my woods behind the house, a change of clothes for each member of the family, basic survival items and maybe a .22 cal rifle with ammo. It would be nice to have an emergency cache outside of the house for obvious reasons.

bacpacker
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I've been giving some thought along the lines of what Kodiak was discussing. I relly need to do something on my route to work as well. 34 miles across two good rivers. I'm gonna need some stuff.

Sniper-T
09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
For those who do have, or want to make one... what are you going to use for a case? waterproof, heatproof, cold proof... openable...

thoughts?

Evolver
09-06-2012, 12:15 AM
I have also thought about caching things in the back yard in 5gal buckets or for that mater somewhere. They are easy to bury and will hold up for a long long time. In my thinking for items such as can goods or non O2ed and mylared I thought of using a 1/2'' layer or bagged kitty litter like in a sock or nylons in the bottom to adsorb any moisture that might enter the bucket and pack each with 72hrs, weeks worth of food for two or any needed supplies. To mark the X on the spot of burial you could use a rock or a plant on top or along side.

LUNCHBOX
09-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Ive thought about placing one back in my woods behind the house, a change of clothes for each member of the family, basic survival items and maybe a .22 cal rifle with ammo. It would be nice to have an emergency cache outside of the house for obvious reasons.

Why don't you (we) build a small (12x12) shack back in your woods and I'll cache myself there and hold onto your .22 for you also.....lol

- - - Updated - - -

I've been giving some thought along the lines of what Kodiak was discussing. I relly need to do something on my route to work as well. 34 miles across two good rivers. I'm gonna need some stuff.

All kidding aside BP, you might want to look at a small inflatable raft.

Sniper-T
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
That's my biggest concern... I also have two rivers (river and floodway) to cross. The first river is urban, so caching something would be extremely difficult, The second wouldn't be as bad, but it is still a popular place for recreation. I'd like to get at least a change of clothes, as I am confident I can cross them, even in near freezing temps, but it sure would be nice to have some warm dry clothes waiting.

Gunfixr
09-07-2012, 03:27 AM
I started one awhile back, mostly because I was tired of tripping over ammo cans walking around the house.

I did finally get a small gun locker in it, and a small safe. No guns as of yet, just can't decide on which ones. Need to move some other stuff in as well, some tools maybe.
Got some water there, rotated every six months. It is shared with a trusted friend, he has food stored.

I guess clearly it's not underground.

bacpacker
09-08-2012, 12:11 AM
LB, the inflatable raft is kinda what I've been considering. Also gave some thought to the self inflating life vest. I could carry two of those with several cartridges without going up drastically on weight. I think they would handle me and the GHB OK.

First river I don't worry a huge amount about. It is about a mile down stream from the dam, but only maybe 2-300 yards wide. The second however is right below the dam and I'm not sure how wide and then would have a canal beyond that. Or go above the dam and cross probably a mile or better in the lake. Not great options either way.

If I go up stream further I start getting into an even larger city, but closer to the house. Go downstream, getting further away from home and still have a the river and a lake to cross. The only bridges are spread out by several miles and all are in town's. I've been trying to figure this out for 3 years now and still don't have a good plan if the bridges are closed.

ak474u
09-08-2012, 12:37 AM
LB, the inflatable raft is kinda what I've been considering. Also gave some thought to the self inflating life vest. I could carry two of those with several cartridges without going up drastically on weight. I think they would handle me and the GHB OK.

First river I don't worry a huge amount about. It is about a mile down stream from the dam, but only maybe 2-300 yards wide. The second however is right below the dam and I'm not sure how wide and then would have a canal beyond that. Or go above the dam and cross probably a mile or better in the lake. Not great options either way.

If I go up stream further I start getting into an even larger city, but closer to the house. Go downstream, getting further away from home and still have a the river and a lake to cross. The only bridges are spread out by several miles and all are in town's. I've been trying to figure this out for 3 years now and still don't have a good plan if the bridges are closed.

Any pipelines crossing over the rivers? They can be used like a bridge, or may at least be located in a narrow spot. In. Terrorist attack type get home, they might be secured by authorities, but it might be a way to keep your feet dry. Also, there are lots of jogging trails that have pedestrian bridges on them crossing over water here, I doubt they would be guarded.

bacpacker
09-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Gas line I hadn't gave any thought to, good call on that.

To my knowledge, the larger river only has 7 bridges, including rail lines, that cross it at the dam or upstream. 5 of those are in the largest city near me and in a shit load of people. One of the other is not far from the house but well out of the way of the route I would take home. The last one is near the dam and right at a small town. Below the dam within 10 miles are 2 other dams, one on the interstate, the other in another town and both of those will force another lake crossing or many miles to another dam.

realist
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
1 foot diameter PVC scrap pipe with capped and glued ends. Then they look like a big pill. Weapons, other metal objects and non ammo inside. Cleaning equipment. Clothing and food in sealed bags. The second one is were the ammo is stored. All ammo is in seal a meal bags with desiccant packs.

One thing that you need to make sure is that you ammo is not around solvents. There is the potential that the solvent will destroy your ammo. Most of the things that I put into the cache are in separate bags so in the event of a breach I can salvage some.

Sniper-T
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
^
how do you get into it realist? do you carry a saw with you?

realist
09-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes, I carry on in my pack all the time. The more aggressive hand saws work much better than a hacksaw. Additionally things that I put in these are not going to be perishable. Also in a pinch older PVC pipe can be fragile, if you hit is with a pick or BFR it will shatter, but then you will have a noise issue.

I have another one that has a removable lid that I store my food in. This one would be on top with the others underneath. This one will be checked periodically.

izzyscout21
09-09-2012, 01:08 AM

If you had to go that far up closer to town, you could float across from Poland Creek area and wind up around Northshore or vice versa...............

bacpacker
09-09-2012, 02:39 AM
That is actually one of the scenario's I've been considering. I have done a little research on boat launch areas (small out of the way places) and looking for the best places to come out at. My thoughts were cross the interstates and head east to a crossing point.

It sure would be nice to find a small self storage facility near there, or a good contact that lives in the area.

Still lots more work to do in this area.

izzyscout21
09-09-2012, 05:21 AM
BP, just for reference.............

here are a few crossing places that would probably work best without going too far off course:

IN this frame, both crossing sites are a hair over 300yards

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/BP1.jpg

This site is narrower at 180 some odd yards, but crossing is more dangerous due to obvious reasons.............

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/bp2.jpg

Echo2
09-09-2012, 11:25 AM
You guys around the rivers need to get a good railroad map also....especially in urban areas....all you have to do is "GET OUT" of the city...the RR tracks do that....moving in rural is much less frightening....even if it's longer.

In urban areas....most the RR areas have fences with access gates....you'll need a set of bolt cutters....and a new lock to keep folks from following wouldn't be a bad idea.

RR bridges cross rivers too....and the night is definitely your friend when moving in rail yards.

Kodiak
09-09-2012, 01:22 PM
In urban areas....most the RR areas have fences with access gates....you'll need a set of bolt cutters....and a new lock to keep folks from following wouldn't be a bad idea.

RR bridges cross rivers too....and the night is definitely your friend when moving in rail yards.

Good call on the bolt cutters, they would def be a valuable asset to keep in the vehicle.

The Stig
09-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Has anybody had a cache disaster?

Where you open one up only to find the contents ruined?

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
^
or gone!
???

Echo2
09-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Has anybody had a cache disaster?

Where you open one up only to find the contents ruined?

I know down in the woods below my Dads place.....there is a large 50cal can with a old pr of boots and a old set of BDUs....been there since 1990....I'll see if I can dig it up sometime....If I can remember where exactly I put it that is.....I....being the brain child that I was....sprinkled the area with ball bearings....so a metal detector would be useless.....:rolleyes:

I'm sure it's deteriorated.