PDA

View Full Version : Simple Solar Homesteading

RedJohn
09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Found this today on the web:

http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/

Some interesting read, video and pictures for living off the grid.

Echo2
09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Cool....thank for the link.

Sniper-T
09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Seems like a shyster to me.

It seems like he is touting that fully equiped cabin for the $2000. But that $2000 only gets you the wooden shell, without even doors and windows.

But in the next chapter, you can install this $5000 solar system... and then install toilets, drill wells, propane appliances... extra extra extra

What does the "well" chapter state, "go find an artesian well, and tap into it?" Or how about hire a drilling company, and they can come out for $50./ft and drill a couple hundred feet for $10 grand!!

It really should be called off grid living for $100, 000.

If it were only that easy...

IMO

Echo2
09-05-2012, 01:37 PM
When you see something with the $$$$numbers.....you need to ignore them.

Look at the method of what they are doing.

I could build a much nicer place for a reasonable amount of $$$$....but I'm a scavenger in a big kind of way.

Solar....

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1319/5170164708_ce23b84e96_z.jpg

Every time I catch these on sale....I buy one....got 3 at sale price....and 2 even less because of damaged box....:)

I also have a body off a solar car that VT built.....in it's day was capable of running 11hp motor....I'll find a pic...

Evolver
09-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Yeah... I would also say that the price listed above for living off the grid in a 20'x20' with solar is misleading. You could build one that size if you already had all the the tools needed to build your own log home, a nice tree stand on your property for the build, a crew of three to manage the timbers that work for free, couple of batteries, solar panel and a cheep power management system (inverter), discarded doors and windows and a whole lot of extra time on your hands.

ladyhk13
09-07-2012, 05:06 AM
And they always assume the people who want to go off grid want to live in a sardine can. Why can't we ever find plans/systems for normal (3000 sq/ft or so) homes that aren't always a log cabin?
I appreciate the link and effort though RJ :) or as we say here in TN.... I appreciate cha!

realist
09-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Well lady in a couple of years I hope to be in a position to show you some plans like that. I want to build just as you are saying. My first chore it to get my small cabin built. This will be used as a base of operations in order to have a place to live when the larger place is built. This cabin will be a guest house later on. However it will be about 20 by 24 so it will have a little more room than that guys place. I may be able to live in a place like that 14x14 so long as it is by myself. However if I were to bring my wife along she would probably kill me in a week. Additionally I could never divorce her because then I would not even have enough money to start my cabin..............

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Take it from LadyHK13..............her plan is what will have to happen over the next year or two. First will have to be a live in building/shop office/stable/garage.......BIG! Completely solar powered............heavily powered! Then we can watch them build that "3000+ft house that can be run on the same system. Once done I'll work my hydro system in to replace the solar system placing that one into storage for a rainy day. There's a great day a commin!.............................keep ya posted on how this is going to work out so everyone can take notes.........on what not to do.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

ladyhk13
09-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Well lady in a couple of years I hope to be in a position to show you some plans like that. I want to build just as you are saying. My first chore it to get my small cabin built. This will be used as a base of operations in order to have a place to live when the larger place is built. This cabin will be a guest house later on. However it will be about 20 by 24 so it will have a little more room than that guys place. I may be able to live in a place like that 14x14 so long as it is by myself. However if I were to bring my wife along she would probably kill me in a week. Additionally I could never divorce her because then I would not even have enough money to start my cabin..............

We thought about building a guest cabin first but decided against it and chose to build a large workshop/garage/barn (a metal building - think dh is thinking maybe 100x40 or so?) that we can put a one bedroom unit upstairs and as long as we have an area for animals (so we would build a couple stables downstairs on the other end for my 2 mini cows) we don't need a building permit here. Once we move into the main house the unit can be used if needed for people or more storage, art studio, who knows?
I really didn't want to spend the money on a separate living space just to turn around and build another house but since we needed the metal building anyway it really wouldn't be a big deal to add some living space to it.
Yeah, I agree with your wife...I'd probably divorce ya too. Maybe you better think about a bigger building or start off calling it your "weekend" retreat?
I am just looking at regular floorplans, find ones we like, make sure they can be situated south for the best solar gain and have a basement. I think anything can be designed for solar. The big thing is getting the system large enough to power all my needs, but as BWRR said we will be going off solar as soon as he can get our hydro system perfected so he'll make sure that we still have all the comforts. I want radiant heating and have been looking into geothermal systems.

hank2222
09-08-2012, 04:45 PM
And they always assume the people who want to go off grid want to live in a sardine can. Why can't we ever find plans/systems for normal (3000 sq/ft or so) homes that aren't always a log cabin?
I appreciate the link and effort though RJ :) or as we say here in TN.... I appreciate cha!

You bring up a very good point about building a bigger off grid homestead most of the plans are for a small compact places not a family of four or five or six trying to make as a group .But for me the socalled plan fitts me to a T but it going to cost more than a $2000.oo dollars to build

realist
09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
The problem with my location is that I will have a very hard and expensive time getting cement into my location. So when I do then it will be all at once. I would love to have a nice shop with a large slab floor but that will have to wait.

ladyhk13
09-09-2012, 12:46 AM
You bring up a very good point about building a bigger off grid homestead most of the plans are for a small compact places not a family of four or five or six trying to make as a group .But for me the socalled plan fitts me to a T but it going to cost more than a $2000.oo dollars to build

Yeah, I don't know where they are getting their prices from. Maybe recycled materials, friends and family doing the work and everything on sale? Or maybe they built it 20 years ago but aren't telling us that info.

ladyhk13
09-09-2012, 12:53 AM
The problem with my location is that I will have a very hard and expensive time getting cement into my location. So when I do then it will be all at once. I would love to have a nice shop with a large slab floor but that will have to wait.

I think we will have the same issue. We have to build a bridge first and then hopefully there won't be an issue getting a concrete truck up the hill. We were told today that the cost for concrete in the area is around $100 per yard, don't know if that's expensive or not.

bacpacker
09-09-2012, 02:29 AM
That seems to be about average for around here. I don't know how far up the hill you will have to go, but if it's not too far you may be able to use a pumper truck to get it to the build site.

Echo2
09-09-2012, 02:59 AM
That's not a bad price.....make sure they don't have a delivery fee that jacks the price per yard up.

realist
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
The bridge that I am talking abaout is about 1/2 mile away. Soooo my neighbor came up with an interesting solution. The bridge can take quite a bit of weight but not the weight of a full cement truck. So he got one empty one on one side of the bridge, a pumper on the other and pumped the cement across. Then they would truck it up the hill. Expensive yes however depending upon what you want it might be worth it. So if we go that route then everything that I have that requires cement will be formed and graded awaiting the cement arrival.

ladyhk13
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
That seems to be about average for around here. I don't know how far up the hill you will have to go, but if it's not too far you may be able to use a pumper truck to get it to the build site.

Way too far for a pumper truck. They'll have to drive it. Just have to bite the bullet and do it. Met some preppers that live in the next town over and he has some friends who are basically rocket scientists and said to get the measurements for the bridge and he'll give it to them because they like to design that kind of stuff for shits and grins. Looks like we just found a designer for free! Yahoo. I'm all for free.

bacpacker
09-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Well that is excellent news Lady. Both on the help with the bridge and meeting some folks close by. I'll be interested in the bridge design to see what they come up with.

Realist, using two trucks is something not many folks would come up with. Great solution!

Taz Baby
09-10-2012, 02:04 AM
That's great news. Free is better than cheap