PDA

View Full Version : Tire puncture kit for BOV

Echo2
09-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Had an old welding rod box.....decided to put this together....after I picked up a screw in my work/utility truck.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7962502596_27577c05bd_z.jpg

valves and wrench....

patches, scuffer, and glue...

plugs and tool....

reamer....

caps....

I also have a booster pack that has an 12v compressor.....and a foot pump if that fails.

The kit stores nicely in our "travel truck tote".....has a few tools....antifreeze....fan belt....bulbs....etc.

The Stig
09-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Very nice.

Any experiences using it?

I've got similar but have never actually plugged a tire. I should probably remedy that before I'm on that dark lonely road.

Echo2
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Yup....the plugs work very well.....the installation of the plug isn't the issue....it's if the tire comes off the bead.

I do have a ratchet strap and a CO2 inflator.....but there are still no promises with even those on the side of the road.

Starter spray or carb/brake cleaner can do it.....but is very hazardous.

rentprop1
09-10-2012, 03:25 AM
I carry the tire rasp and plug tool in my truck, but luckily I always find myself having to repair it in my driveway

LUNCHBOX
09-10-2012, 04:57 AM
I agree, the plugs work very well. I have found the pump is usually the issue (make sure you check your pump so it has enough pressure) I also feel "Fix-A-Flat" works better than the "Slime" but its anybodies ball game here.

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I also carry a plug kit, and have used to far too often. Something else invaluable is a sturdy set of needle nosed pliers. Welding rod, nail, screw whatever, you cant plug the tire until the object is out.

x2 on the ratchet strap for re-setting the bead. and x2 on the quickstart. Watch your fingers, and your eyebrows!

TroubleShooter
09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
If SHTF event, I would put slime in all tires.....any small punctures would be sealed when they happen to avert the dreaded tire off rim when run low or a knot , the forumla is said to be good for 2 years once installed...Slime in some cases will cause a vibration at high speeds...It remains fluid in tire. Fix it flat is a good item also, just cannot be pre-installed and work worth a dime... It has the best inflating performance verses slime...

I slime all my low speed tires , riding mower, wheel barrows, yard truck, wheel dollies......

When plugging a tire , ideally you do not want any air in the tire, in some cases if you plug the tire when inflated it will allow air to get between the steel and rubber causing a knot....I have plugged many tires still inflated and only had one develop a knot...

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I've never used slime, but it seems like it might be worth picking up...

All my low speed tires are tubed (and a pain in the ass!) I wish I could use this in them

TroubleShooter
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
They have a tube forumla.....

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 04:54 PM
^
god I love this forum!

bacpacker
09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I have slimed my lawn mower tires and the seemingly endless low tire issue has never happened again after two years. Never tried it a vehicle tire.

Onestep
09-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Same here BC. Haven't tried on full size tires, just mower.

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Anyone have any experience using the slime in a cold climate? ie freezing?

4suchatimeasthis
09-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I watched the craziest thing on Mythbusters last Sunday! We were at my inlaws house, and it was on the tv, they were doing some challenge about various ways to "fix" a flat tire, out in the boondocks. Well, they sure had some crazy ways, (making a 'ski' for the tire, cutting a stump and replacing the tire with it, etc) but one that actually seemed to kinda work was stuffing the tire with straw. When they first cut the small flap in the tire and started shoving the straw in there, I admit, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. They shoved a ton of it in there, even used a big stick to mash it down in and shove even more in there. But when they drove it through their little "obstacle course", including a deep rut and over a small log, it actually held up!

It's nuts, for sure, but hey, in an emergency, if that was all you had, I bed it would work to shove wild grasses in there, just whatever grasses are growing in that area. It wont get you far, but it will work for a little ways, which may be all you need in a pinch.

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
I once lost an entire hub assembly off a boat trailer out in the booneys. I cut down a 5" dia birch tree and used the bottom 12 feet to make a 'skid' Just the bottom 10" or so of the tree touched the gravel, and as it wore away, I had to re-rig it and move it down, but I made it home. 50+ miles of gravel, and 50+ miles of pavement. took about 5 feet off the second tree.

4suchatimeasthis
09-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Man, Sniper, I would've paid to see that goin' down the road!

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
As long as you weren't driving behind you'd be fine. it kicked up a lot of rocks!

FL-Jeeper
10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Another wise addition to a comprehensive tire repair kit is a length of steel wire. Using an exacto blade to poke holes for stitching & rubber cement and/or tire plugs, I've stitched up significant sidewall tears in the past. It also pays to have LOTS of plugs handy. I have used as many as 10 plugs at a shot to successfully seal some alarmingly large holes in tires. It wasn't pretty, but it got me home.

Having a small compressor is a must as well... or even better, an onboard air compressor (a rather popular addition within the off road community).

Portable CO2 tanks are another viable option.

bacpacker
10-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Do you know any good places to get on board air compressors from? I've been considering on for my truck. I pull trailers some and that would be a nice addition for the road.

Echo2
10-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Do you know any good places to get on board air compressors from? I've been considering on for my truck. I pull trailers some and that would be a nice addition for the road.

What are you looking to spend....$75 or $350?

bacpacker
10-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Depends on the capabilities. And I am willing to save for it, not something I have to have tomorrow.

Echo2
10-11-2012, 02:17 AM
I just keep a small battery booster with an on board compressor....for trips and such.

I'm in the market for a new one for the service truck....12v.

bacpacker
10-11-2012, 02:20 AM
I haven't found them yet, but I thought they made some heavy duty models that would air guns and such. I'm pretty sure they used them on tractor/trailers or at least the heavy repair trucks.

FL-Jeeper
10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I haven't found them yet, but I thought they made some heavy duty models that would air guns and such. I'm pretty sure they used them on tractor/trailers or at least the heavy repair trucks.

While I've managed to get by on clearance bin "roadside" emergency compressors for most uses and have been through several of them, what i now have my eye on is a higher quality unit from these guys: http://www.viaircorp.com

While there are Constant Duty models that could do it, for realistically running high flow air tools like impact wrenches & air ratchets you're going to need an air tank. Give a look at some of the full combo kits for ideas. http://www.viaircorp.com/20001.html

Edit: of course thinking outside the box: if space is a premium & power not a concern, as opposed to an air tank, you can run two pumps in tandem for twice the CMF.