PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the Icebox igloo making tool much?

Marthony
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Hello,

I noticed Jerry D Young has this in his game cart list, and am wondering if he or anyone else here has experience with it?

I made 3 igloos with it last season, and plan to do at least that many again in the coming season. That's 1x 7' and 2x 8' models. With some forethought I hope to join a local snowshoeing company's build crew - they build the igloos in the back country and then hike their customers in. It would be great to get others' experience on building to improve my skill & speed. Then of course, run a staff event at my company and build the largest model the tool makes, 11' wide x 6'7" high outside dimensions. With such experience the tool would be more viable for emergency use.

I slept in the 8' for one night, short story. =)

Of course, an igloo wouldn't likely be built for a 1 night emergency stay, but if you knew you'd be there for more than 2 nights you wouldn't regret such a solid shelter! (I've a habit of standing on top of mine as soon as they are built)

Any thoughts, experiences?

Marthony
09-16-2012, 11:32 PM
One last thought on this before the wait for winter and building conditions: If you have this or plan to acquire it, I must say practice is required. Almost everyone fails their first build becuase the first level isn't made to the proper angle.

On the side panel of the form there are a pair of lines to indicate the plumb line for certain sizes of igloos (only used for the 1st level). To be used practically, the lines should be highlighted with a permanent marker. There are small holes above each line where a thin bolt may be inserted to hang a plumb bob from. If the angle isn't met for the first level, there is a gap between the form & the 1st level wall when you seek to build the 2nd level, and the snow falls through this. This error carries to the 3rd level and condemns the build..! (yes, I was stubborn and blocked the leaking on the 2nd level, but this was impossible at the 3rd level)

Next time I post on this I hope to test how an emergency blanket improves an igloo. =) I plan to attach a blanket to the walls & floor to effect a warmer igloo. The technique will be drilling pencil-sized holes through the igloo wall at certain intervals, through which twine can be pulled through and tied off on the outside to a wooden block; on the inside the twine would be taped to the blanket, through a wooden (or any non-conductive, water-resistant material) donut so the blanket doesn't touch the wall. Mat material would be placed on the floor, then another e.blanket (though I know it may tear too easily...we'll see). The moderator of the Icebox forum has commented that he's used a reflective blanket to some improvement before.

In a standard sense you cannot warm up an igloo; you get it to 0 C and then you start melting the igloo, however slowly. In my idea, I plan to have an airspace just away from the walls. (there is an air hole in all igloos) Working the e.blanket will be tedious, but the results will be known this winter!

bacpacker
09-17-2012, 12:34 AM
I am interested to see how this turns out. Living down here, unless I get stuck in the high country during the winter, I most likely will never be in conditions that would allow building an igloo. But I like the idea in general.

helomech
09-17-2012, 12:51 AM
never even seen a igloo, and don't think I could handle the cold temps very long.

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I've made quite a few over the years, as we used to use them on icefishing trips into remote areas. I have never seen or heard of this thing prior to this post though. I can certainly appreciate the idea of it, as it seems like it would take all the guesswork out of construction.

While I am not as much into winter camping now as I used to be, something like this could come in handy just to have around.

I'm not too sure about your idea about the space blankets, as that may cause excess condensation inside, which of course just makes everything damp and uncomfortable.

The most important Thing about an igloo, comfort wise, is the layers on the floor. Elevated sleeping platforms with a low cold/moisture layer are vital for maintaining heat. It is possible to maintain an 'above zero' temperature inside an igloo, but as Marthony pointed out, this will slowly melt the structure from the inside out, so it is vital to add snow to the outside on a daily basis. Once a firm ice skin developes on the inside, melting is slowed dramatically, but be sure to watch your air hole and your smoke hole (if you have a fire inside). If they grow too big, they will jeapardize the integrity of the structure.

Stay Frosty!

Marthony
09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Indeed, I hadn't heard of the Icebox tool until February 2011, after failing to build my 'concept' of an igloo on vacation. If you visit www.Grandshelters.com you can find extensive info/dicussions/pics of it. Other than removing the math/guesswork, it means you can build an igloo with loose snow vs. requiring good packed snow to quarry from. Compared to a quinzee it has far more structural strength, and you don't get wet building it.

I'm curious as to the condensation issue. I found during my 1 night of camping in my igloo that it was quite humid; not sure it it could get worse? I suppose one issue would be how to prevent getting rained on after the condensation forms. In an igloo one smooths the walls so the drips run down the sides instead of falling on you & your gear.

Sniper-T, did you quarry your snow? I've watched videos of the classic inuit method of igloo building but imagine it takes some skill.

I couldn't agree more on the insulating layers..!

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 03:14 PM
yup, the only igloos I've made have been quarried. typically we make them out on the ice of a lake, where the snow is windblown packed.

The dripping was always an issue until we started 'finishing the inside'. smooth it like you said, but then put a heat source in there, and cook it, while continuing to smooth it. you will essentially create a solid layer of ice on the inside, rubbed smooth so the water has nowhere to drip from.

If you have several people in there, it is not hard for body heat alone to raise the temp to +10ish. so it is VERY important to continue to add snow to the outside and wet it down. Once the inside is iced, it doesn't melt nearly as quick, but you do still lose material. since we are fishing, we dip water from the hole and pour it on from the outside too, to essentially make a solid ice house.

During a blizzard one time we parked our snowmobiles on top of the igloos, so they wouldn't get buried/lost by the snow. Once the house is iced, it is incredibly strong!

Incidentally, we've built some quinzees in a manner that was probably 10 times faster than any igloo. We started off with a dome tent, set it up, and then started slowly covering it with snow and spraying it with water. then keep adding more snow water until the walls are at least 8" thick. cut the door out, remove the tent, and carry on. works pretty slick!

helomech
09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
+10 I don't see how you guys do that. I can't stand sleeping in anything below about 68.

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
good ground cloth, and a good sleeping bag. I've tented while late season moose hunting when it has been -30C. And no... I don't even own a tent heater

helomech
09-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Man that is crazy. I have a heater that I carry around with me in my deer stands, and we don't get no where near that temp.

Marthony
09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Nice thing is, after a bit of time the igloo reaches 0C and you are protected from the -30C. Also no air movement. The 6-8 hour hot packs are handy for when lounging, when bought in bulk. It is a time to wear PJ's while in a sleeping bag though!

Love the technique of the dome tent form! Another thing to try if I'm somewhere within range of a lake, river or water hose. I go now to think of forms to use other than my tent..!

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 06:07 PM
watch garage sales and stuff. people are always dumping old tents for cheap.

I just picked up a couple that I am going to 'play' with next year... I want to set them up and then slowly start spraying them with a water/concrete mixture, to make a permanent hard shell, that I can use as a deer blind. Multi coats to get the thickness/strength, then cut out some 'windows/door.

Just working out the logistics of how to attach the cutout back on to make a functionable door

4suchatimeasthis
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I just picked up a couple that I am going to 'play' with next year... I want to set them up and then slowly start spraying them with a water/concrete mixture, to make a permanent hard shell, that I can use as a deer blind. Multi coats to get the thickness/strength, then cut out some 'windows/door.

Just working out the logistics of how to attach the cutout back on to make a functionable door

When you do, please post pictures, I am interested in how that would work.