PDA

View Full Version : Survival Library. What are your "Must Haves"?

Echo2
09-12-2012, 05:28 PM
The wife and I are suckers when it comes to reference material and good "No Nonsense" magazines.

But when it comes to what is on our shelves that will either go to...or is already at the BOL...the list is huge.

A few of the things that will be thrown into the box.....

All the Backwoods Home Anthologies....

All the Foxfire books....

All the medical reference books....(most are already there)...

All of her botanical books....(she has a degree in horticulture)....

All of my mechanical reference and rigging manuals...(most are there)...

All the cookbooks....

etc...

I'll try to snap a pic of the book shelves.....If they are in any order at all.....

What do you have the will go where you go?

slowz1k
09-12-2012, 05:42 PM
My plan is to shelter in place... If I have to bug, the items on list below will be going with me.

"Bible"
"Where There is No Doctor"
"Where There is No Dentist"
"Medicinal Plants Guide"
Haynes Manual for 99 Suburban K2500 if that's what I'm leaving in.
My self made three ring binder with various gardening info.
My Self made three ring binder with various maps and Land Nav Aids.

I have my whole library on CD's and thumb drives, so I hope I would get to print off what I need later once we reach our destination. This list covers what I feel are must haves, especially if I can't print later

4suchatimeasthis
09-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree with whats been posted already, in addition to those I would say my veterinary and animal husbandry books, "feeds and feeding" which is for farm animals, I have several books on dogs and horses, etc.

I have a complete encyclopedia set of DIY home improvement stuff, an entire shelf of just home/garden improvement stuff, and there is a lot in there that can be improvised. Also sewing books, books on how to make your own soap, candles, and all kinds of useful stuff.

I also have some medical books, "Prescription for Nutritional Healing", A&P books, ect. Pregnancy books, because chances are people will still be getting knocked up, shtf or not, lol.

And, because I am a romantic, a copy of "The Best Loved Poems of the American People", it's an awesome book!

And, COOKBOOKS, because having the ingredients in storage isn't enough, I can't assume that I will always be around, if something happens to me (the head cook and bottle washer), someone is going to have to learn how to prepare edible food!

bacpacker
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
I have way to many books to deal with. I would start my list with these.

Bible KJV and 1611 versions
All the medical reference books, both traditional and herbal medicines
All gardening, farming, and homesteading books
All weapons and reloading books
All construction, alternate power, and mechanical reference, black smithing books
Cookbooks, food storage and perserving
Maps, atlases
If space permits, backwoods home, Home power, Back home Magazines
And most likely a couple of multibook novels, such as Jack London and Jules Verne compilations
And I plan on taking our Kindles as well.

izzyscout21
09-13-2012, 03:52 AM
...........TM 31-210............."Improvised Munitions".............;)

ladyhk13
09-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Since I hope to be living at our BOL I'm going to have EVERYTHING!!!! Lots of what has already listed plus we love to read and have tons of novels that we would read over and over again.

hank2222
09-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I have everything from military tactics and history to the classic works of Kippling to others to home inmovements to medical to fireams to paperback novels to read here and there .

it covers about four bookcase's full of books and some of them are the floor in a couple of diff piles that i have not gotten around to put them in there slot in the bookcase

realist
09-17-2012, 04:02 AM
I have boxes and boxes of books. Periodically I go through them to see what is relevant and what isn't. My core books never go. Not only do I keep the survival, gardening and do it yourself books, I also have extensive number of novels. My best is the Harvard classics for recreation.