PDA

View Full Version : Bega canned cheese review

msomnipotent
09-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I bought a case of this at a great price a while ago (thanks Stormfeather!) and finally got around to opening a can. The cheese is white cheddar, smooth, and a little softer than Velveeta but still not spreadable. I really didn't care for the aroma when I first opened the can, but it either dissipated or I got used to it quickly. The first day we ate it, it tasted like a medium cheddar verging on sharp, but it tastes sharper as the days go on. I have had it in a ziploc bag for a week now and it has taken on a sharp metallic taste, so you probably want to eat this soon after opening. We ate this plain and with Chicken Biskit crackers. I didn't care for it too much on it's own, but it went well with the crackers. I think it would make a pretty decent grilled cheese sandwich, but I haven't bought bread this week so I haven't tried it. This should taste pretty good on top of Chili Mac, too. I melted a little chunk in a pan just for the review, and it melted fairly easily. I supposed I should have tried it on top of some hot food, but the metallic taste is pretty bad and I don't want to open another can right now. I will add to the review if I remember to try it next time. All in all, I wouldn't say it was bad, just that my family prefers other cheeses. My daughter spit it out, but my husband and I will eat it. I plan on taking this camping, and will serve it with the appetizers on Thanksgiving just so my extended family can try it.

By the way, my dog and kitten went absolutely NUTS when they smelled this. We had to pick them up and remove them from the room because they kept jumping on the table and trying to steal it from us. My dog knows taking food off the table carries a high price, so she must have really, really wanted this.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/msomnipotent/bega001.jpg

Taz Baby
09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
As soon as I open my cheese I take it out of the can and then put it in a plastic container. The longer it sits in the can opened it will take on the can's taste. (when air hits it). Try using it as a cheese sauce, I use mine over broccoli and mix half with Velveeta for mac n cheese. you can also mix it in mash potatoes with bacon bits. Just think of it as a cheese sauce and experiment with it.

ak474u
09-13-2012, 11:25 PM
I wanna get it really as an addition to other foods as well, eggs, veggies, taters, etc.

Thanks for the review.

Echo2
09-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Yup....we bought some a while back.....really liked it....bought quite a bit.

It does work really well in sauces....but it's not bad made into pimento cheese....also good slices and on steak sandwich...:P

Do you have some of the Red Feather butter?.....yum!!!

msomnipotent
09-14-2012, 01:27 AM
I do have the Red Feather butter! I ordered them both at the same time for an offer I couldn't refuse. I just didn't open any yet because I have some sticks in the freezer I need to use up. I"m planning on making my homemade caramel with it as a test. Caramel doesn't taste good if the butter is junk. Its just a matter of finding the time to stand at the stove that long.

Katrina
09-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Love the cheese but take it out of the can as Taz says. Butter is really good and I think it's a bit richer than what we get in the stores. I opened one can to try it out. I put the butter in a plastic bowl and stored in the fridge while we used it. However I think I'm going to get a butter bell and see how long it will last in that as it took a little bit to soften from the fridge.

msomnipotent
09-14-2012, 04:51 AM
I didn't think to take it out of the can because I assume the original container would be the best, but I am obviously wrong. I put the ziploc right against the cheese and sucked the air out as I usually do for ordinary cheese. I usually use a bit of waxed paper for better cheese, but I don't buy enough to worry about spoiling. A 200g can has a lot of cheese for crackers for two people, unless you are starving.

I failed to say that I think it is a great addition to LTS foods. The cans seem to be so convenient and durable, especially for events I am planning for, which is lack of electricity and "oops, I really need this ingredient and I don't have money to go to the store" kind of things. I haven't tried freeze dried cheese yet, but I'm pretty sure everyone here will know about it when I do.

Has anyone tried FD cheese? How would it compare to this?

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't have any FD cheese, but I do have a bunch that I dehydrated. About the only thing it is good for is sauces, as it is hard and brittle, and doesn't soften up again with heat, unless moisture is involved.

Taste wise - fantastic! Just like fresh off the deli
Longevity - Still working on it, but have some just over 2 years old. no issues.

Echo2
09-14-2012, 10:26 AM
The freeze dried cheese is good....but not that easy to rehydrate as other items....it's east to turn to mush.....still tastes good though.

We choose not to get much of the FD cheese....but we do have a pile of different cheese powders.

If I had to choose....I'd definitely go with canned over FD

BTW....what we found it worked best on....was something like tacos or the like.....the steam from the food rehydrates it well.