PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

The Stig
09-14-2012, 01:05 AM
The Colony has grown quite a bit over the relative short period of time we've been in existence. In about 1.5 years we've gone from zero to 500+ members which is a great thing.

Better yet, we've got a solid group of core posters who actively participate.

So lets add to it and increase the size of the Colony. That's where we need your help, creativity and ideas.

Simply put, how can we grow the Colony?

What ideas can we try to add to the membership and increase the number of people who actively participate in our forum? What sorts of methods can we employ to attract new folks?

If you, the members, have any suggestions please let us know! We don't have the market cornered on different ways to increase membership at shtfready.com so we need your help.

I don't want to limit the creativity of the ideas but do keep in mind that we don't have much money to spend and because we're all volunteers the ideas need to be simple to implement.

So with that....chew on some thoughts and let us know what you think.

realist
09-14-2012, 01:14 AM
I am not into selling stuff or endorsing stuff. However if there was some way to have us linked from say locations such as Emergency Essentials or any of the other prep sites that would at least advertise that we exist.

Gearhead
09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Perhaps more on the weapon sub-forum, like a few discussion threads or some more sub-sub-forums... I'm 14, not much I can do outside of my knowledge, which I think I've shared during my stay here.

slowz1k
09-14-2012, 02:19 AM
It may sound a little cheesey, but a Craigslist add can be quite effective. I'm always trolling the sporting goods section in my AO, looking for camping equipment, ammunition, firearms, etc.... I think many other peppers do the same.
I used to do this for another site that I moderated a while back with some success.... It's free too.

Word of warning: anyone doing this would want to set up an alias email address.... The spam from CL is crazy bad.

Taz Baby
09-14-2012, 02:25 AM
I post this site every now and then on my facebook page. But I just went to the SHTF ready fb page and tried to open on some of the links on there and they all come back as page not found. Just now noticed it. But the youtube video works. I had a list of prepper friendly magazine sites that advertised prep sites in them. Let me find that and I will post them.

Echo2
09-14-2012, 02:33 AM
How about anyone who links this site in their signature line on a different site....gets a free "ant" patch.

Taz Baby
09-14-2012, 02:52 AM
How about anyone who links this site in their signature line on a different site....gets a free "ant" patch.

I do that because I like this site

4suchatimeasthis
09-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Hhmm, "liking" it on fb would get it some recognition, I suppose.

The numbers wouldn't be as drastic, but I really think word-of-mouth is a good way to get solid people to join. If each of us just got one family member or friend to join (and actively post), that would bump the numbers a bit. And if we tried to do that every year....it would add up fast!

I am the cheapest person I know, so I always like to explore my "free" or "dirt cheap" options first :)

The Stig
09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
I am not into selling stuff or endorsing stuff. However if there was some way to have us linked from say locations such as Emergency Essentials or any of the other prep sites that would at least advertise that we exist.

I had a list of prepper friendly magazine sites that advertised prep sites in them. Let me find that and I will post them.

Excellent ideas. Taz please let me know if you find that.

Keep 'em coming folks. This is greatly appreciated.

The Stig
09-14-2012, 08:39 PM

We had actually discussed this idea but in terms of "get X number of referrals from new people signing up and get a free ant patch". We have to balance the available funds to pay for the patches with making it a reasonably obtainable goal. If it's "get a patch for logging on" we'll go bankrupt paying for patches. If it's "sign up 100 people in two minutes" then nobody will try.

But glad to hear we were headed in the right direction. Logging this one for future use!

Like I said....keep them coming folks.

4suchatimeasthis
09-15-2012, 01:20 AM
We could come up with a standard "flier" or poster that we can have members download and print, and put up in various places, like on those message boards in local gun shops, us cav type places, military surplus joints, and on the board at the local fire station, plus co-ops, tractor supply type places, etc.

Wherever you are buying preps, chances are so is somebody else who isn't aware of this site. Let's make them aware!

Echo2
09-15-2012, 03:03 AM
Something that would help to know.....what direction do you want the site to go in?

Are you looking to commercialize it or keep it basic and ad free?