PDA

View Full Version : Uses for honey

bacpacker
09-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Here is something the DW found and has been making the past 2-3 years.

Slice a average lemon into 6 slices each, add 2 cloves per lemon slice, 1 1/4 pints of honey, and 3 to 4 broken cinnamon sticks in a heavy pot. Put on medium heat and bring to a slow boil. Ladle into half pint jars with lemon, clove and cinnamon sticks stirred in, seal with lid.

We use this during the past couple winters at 1 tablespoon to a cup of warm water every morning. Since we began suing this, we rarely have issues with colds, coughs, etc. It has still good at 2+ years now. We also only use locally grown honey. Grown as close to the house as we can find.

I have given much thought to getting into bee keeping. One of my Grandpas and his brother kept bees for years. I really wish I had learned this skill!

4suchatimeasthis
09-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Excellent!

Yeah, my father in law keeps pushing me to take on the hives and bees of some friends of his....right now, I just don't have the time to commit to it, we have too many other priorities at the moment. But, when we get past all these other things, I would *love* to have some honey bees.

Taz Baby
09-15-2012, 04:13 AM
I grew up on a spoonful of honey and a lemon wedge. I tried my hand at bee keeping too. The first vet I worked with got me started. I use to hang with him to learn how. I did everything he taught me to do, suited up, used the smoker and the bee's loved me. They would cover me and hang with me and never leave until he went to the hives to get the honey. Then they would attack him. One day he had a brain fart and told me to get the bees to hang on me and then walk far enough away from the hive so he could get the honey, so I did. It worked and from then on I was the "Bee Keeper Awayer", as he started calling me. I do have some building plans for some neat and easy to build hive boxes. And yes, if nothing has changed as when I was younger, DH will be "The Honey Gatherer" and I will still be "The Bee Keeper Awayer".

IDTANDY
09-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Honey is an exellent antibiotic.
http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/antibiotic.html