PDA

View Full Version : What gloves for armed operations?

bacpacker
09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Question for you folks. What type gloves do you use or would you be using for any sort of armed operations, whether patrol, urban, whatever the case may be? I have quite a few leather work gloves and other types for doing general labor. However none of the leather ones seem like they would work well in handling weapons. The mechanics type gloves fit much better, but I don't feel they would provide much of any protection.

I have looked at a few pair of leather shooting or driving gloves, but really haven't found anything that impressed me for this type usage. I would really like to hear from you folks that have had time in the military as to what you used and the pluses and minuses to them.

ladyhk13
09-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I would especially like to find some that would be warm and for women. That is one of the reasons I don't like to shoot in the winter.

Echo2
09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
I got a set of HellStorms....and a good ole set of nomex flight gloves.....but if it's cold enough for me to wear gloves...I do like the fingerless with the mitten cover....magnetic hold backs....made from fast drying fiber.

Don't know where the wife got them....they are camo....If I see another set....I plan on grabbing them.

ladyhk13
09-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I got a set of HellStorms....and a good ole set of nomex flight gloves.....but if it's cold enough for me to wear gloves...I do like the fingerless with the mitten cover....magnetic hold backs....made from fast drying fiber.

Don't know where the wife got them....they are camo....If I see another set....I plan on grabbing them.

If she finds them will you pls PM me? It's about impossible for me to find small gloves in any style.

Echo2
09-15-2012, 10:19 PM
If she finds them will you pls PM me? It's about impossible for me to find small gloves in any style.

Roger that.

mitunnelrat
09-15-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't have any experience with tactical gloves, but I bought a pair of those cloth gloves with the textured rubber palms and fingers that work great in that role. It seems to me they afford even better dexterity than the mechanix gloves do, possibly because they seem to fit more snugly. The coating on the palms and fingers also provides the surest grip I've ever experienced with a glove.

They aren't very thick, but they offer some protection against scrapes and mild cold. I wouldn't sit outside inactive with them for very long here in MI, but I've used them for various activities without issue in mid-winter.

bacpacker
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Lady, my wife has small hands as well. We found her some good leather ones at Tractor Supply. Got her 3 pair then. They fit pretty good and dexterity is decent.

MIT, I have some of those as well and I like them for various stuff. I just don't feel like they would give much protection from penatration or from being cut. They do a great job at grabbing small items.

Echo, I'll look intot he HellStorms. Never heard of them before.

2die4
09-16-2012, 02:08 AM
They are handing these types of gloves out when troops go overseas. I own a pair of Wiley x hard knuckle gloves. Light weight, form fitting,solid construction. I like the hard knuckles and keep them in my car in case I get into a "situation". I like the gloves so much Im actually am going to get some for the General. Check them out at
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=18593&tabid=1
There is also a link to the Blackhawks hell storms in there too.

If these are out of the SHTF budget check out the tactical gloves made by Hatch.

helomech
09-16-2012, 02:15 AM
I have a pair like these, and another pair with full gloves under the mitt. I love them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Casual-Gloves/Mens-Shooting-Gloves%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105547680/i/104001480/Cabelas-Bowhunter-Convertible-Gloves-by-Manzella174/751087.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcloth ing-mens-casual-clothing-mens-casual-gloves-mens-shooting-gloves%2F_%2FN-1102407%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104001480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 97080%253Bcat105547680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat105547680%3Bcat104 001480

Echo2
09-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Those are really good gloves....but they are no where near worth the $$$$$$

You can get a really nice pair of motocross gloves......or just check out mechanics gloves....you could get 5 or so pairs for that kind of cash.

helomech
09-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Those are really good gloves....but they are no where near worth the $$$$$$

You can get a really nice pair of motocross gloves......or just check out mechanics gloves....you could get 5 or so pairs for that kind of cash.

You talking about the ones I posted? If so those mechanic gloves do not keep my fingers warm. These are the only gloves/mittens that keep my fingers warm ever since I got frost bite in Germany.

Echo2
09-16-2012, 02:43 AM
You talking about the ones I posted? If so those mechanic gloves do not keep my fingers warm. These are the only gloves/mittens that keep my fingers warm ever since I got frost bite in Germany.

Nah...the wiley x.

They make a insulated mech gloves now....I know DeWalt makes some.

helomech
09-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Nah...the wiley x.

They make a insulated mech gloves now....I know DeWalt makes some.

Any glove with individual fingers does not keep my fingers warm. I have tried many very thick ones and my fingers still get to hurting bad. Only the mitts work for me.

Zombiehuntereky
09-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Myself I like either Machnix gloves or a pair of flight gloves.

realist
09-16-2012, 11:25 PM
When you have equipment that preforms better than you ever thought then you go with them again. That is what happened with my Oakley tactical gloves. They have carbon fiber knuckles over the back of the hand that will protect you. I was in DC doing some training and got my hand pinned between some jagged wood and a fire hose when going through a breach. I was wearing about 40 pounds of gear as I dropped through the hole but got caught up. The gloves were shredded but the carbon fiber protected my hand. I ended up snapping the tendon in my arm. I still have those gloves as well as several other pairs. I used to wear the Hatch Nomex gloves that are good for general purpose use but I would go through a couple of sets a year. No only do the Oakley's have better protection they hold up much better. You really do get what you pay for.

bacpacker
09-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Realist, that is one of the type situations I was thinking about when posting this. I'll have to check into those.

realist
09-17-2012, 03:34 AM
If you are public safety or military they have a 50% discount. They are well worth it, I am buying more both for me and my son.

izzyscout21
09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I have some of the WIley x Hard knuckle gloves as well as a pair of the Oakley SI assault gloves.....also with hard knuckes.

Currently, I prefer to wear my Blackhawk SOLAG gloves.

I deployed with the WileyX and Oakley gloved. I got into a few scuffles while wearing them. The hard 'nuks did very little to protect my hands the few times I did have to smack someone around.

While pricey, my SOLAG gloves rock. Very comfortable gloves.

ak474u
09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I have some 3 for 9.00 home depot gloves that are form fitting like mechanix but lower quality, they actually work pretty well. They have a suede-like palm, and are double stitched guess where... The the last knuckle on my trigger finger! I've cut the tip off of one pair and they're holding up pretty well. They also work well for handling hot kydex which is what one pair is dedicated to, but I carry an extra right hand glove in my versipack for work so I don't lose the protection on my trigger finger at work. My main use for gloves is not getting splinters climbing around attics and on construction sites, but they work pretty well for shooting too. Oh, and they're kind of a knock-off multi-cam camo as well.

Gunfixr
09-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I just have been using the Mechanix gloves for 3-gun, but I'm looking for something with more protection.

I did see some winter operations gloves at a local gear store earlier this year, and I intend to go back for a set soon. The trigger finger of both gloves is narrower, for easier use shooting, and they are a "gauntlet" style, that covers the gap usually found between the end of regular gloves and the ends of the sleeves. I cannot remember who made them, but I hope to be able to get them here soon, and I'll pass it on.

piranha2
09-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I also use the fingerless motorcycle gloves for shooting.

Gunfixr
09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I have a pair of fingerless glove, tried them.

They drive me crazy just wearing them.

Sniper-T
09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
I spend a fair amount of time out in the cold with a rifle or pistol in my hand. And yes, being near Winterpeg, most of you know that means REAL cold.

That said, I am a hot blooded animal, and go bare handed most of the time.

When I do want or need to cover my paws I use a pair of these:

http://www.dollardays.com/i183006-wholesale-adult-magic-stretch-gloves.html

I can usually get them for 3, or 5 for a buck. They fit so well that I can do anything necessary with them on (including picking up a dime off the floor). I have not had issues with any type of firearm, they allow me the ability to do anything. Including tearing apart a snowmobile motor or clutches.

If it is crazy-assed-stupid-cold, or if there is a nasty wind blowing, I'll grab my trusty pair of garbage mitts:

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1823&section2=1836&section3=1841&ID=23282

I'll wear them over top of the gloves, but with a catch... I have a string running from one, up the sleeve across and down the other to the other mitt. If you need to free your hands in a hurry, it just takes a flick of the wrist, the mitt goes flying off and you have your gloved hand ready to handle the frozen steel of the gun (or whatever else). The deal with the string, is that the mitt doesn't go flying off into nowheresville, nor does it bury itself in the snow. when you need it again, there it is, at the end of your wrist.

Echo2
09-17-2012, 08:05 PM
The deal with the string, is that the mitt doesn't go flying off into nowheresville, nor does it bury itself in the snow. when you need it again, there it is, at the end of your wrist.

My old M-65 jacket had 2 tails off a set of suspenders sewed to the cuffs for just that reason.

ak474u
09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
What is this "snow" you speak of?

The Stig
09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Snow? Not sure what that is either.

My issue with gloves is that I have a normal sized palm so I need a size large to fit. I short little stubby fingers which is more like a size medium. So with large gloves to fit my palm I end up with material hanging off the end of my fingers which drives me nuts. Ultimately I end up cutting the end off my thumbs and forefingers.

Another vote for the Oakley assault gloves...although that is coming from a fat civilian.

Daca102090
09-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Snow? Not sure what that is either.

My issue with gloves is that I have a normal sized palm so I need a size large to fit. I short little stubby fingers which is more like a size medium. So with large gloves to fit my palm I end up with material hanging off the end of my fingers which drives me nuts. Ultimately I end up cutting the end off my thumbs and forefingers.

Another vote for the Oakley assault gloves...although that is coming from a fat civilian.

Something to look into would be any taxidermists in your area. They can take a tracing of your hand and sew up a custom fit pair of gloves to fit.
If you have tanned hides they can use those or you can use leather supplied by them.
Deer skin, doe skin, elk skin are all a little different but each has their own benefits.
Prices are usually pretty reasonable, especially for custom fit and not off the rack!!

LUNCHBOX
09-18-2012, 03:46 AM
I second the mention of the Hatch gloves, while they are not the best for cold weather they do make some that are stab resistant. The department allows gloves on our allowance so I pick those up. I have shot with them on so I trust using them also.

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 09:58 AM
It has the same benefit of keeping your gloves out of the sand, mud, undergrowth as it does for snow. In limited light situations, you don't necessarily want to be scrambling around with a flashlight looking for an errant glove

Gunfixr
09-27-2012, 01:09 AM
I picked up the gloves the other day.
They are made by Blackhawk, and called the "ECW2 Winter Ops'.
they have 200grams of Thinsulate, a water resistant outer shell, and the trigger fingers of both gloves are narrower to facilitate shooting with them on. They are gauntlet style, so they cover the gap from gloves to sleeve. There is even this loop on the middle finger of each glove that you can hook when pulling off the glove, making it much easier and faster. They can be buckled together, and the buckle attachment points could be used to attach a lanyard. They have a textured leather/rubber type palm.

A link: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/ECW2-Winter-Operations-Gloves,1045,1356.htm

prepguide
09-27-2012, 01:46 AM
I use (and LOVE) the shooting gloves made by Condor. Very happy with them

GunnerMax
09-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Check out Outdoor research overlord short glove 70152. Are FANTASTIC, fireproof, and snug fitting. They are great for machine guns, rifle and pistol

tc556guy
10-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately it appears that the brand of nomex gloves I wore overseas in 08-09 is no longer being made

wingnutx
10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I wear Hatch CQB gloves when I'm doing military stuff. I like how they keep the seams off of the tips of my fingers, so i can still pick up small objects and poke at my Blue Force Tracker with my fingertip.

If I can't find the short ones then I just cut them off.

The trigger fingers have a ring sewn into them in case you want to cut the tip off for greater dexterity.

rentprop1
10-12-2012, 02:38 AM
I got some leather gloves made by Ruger at Sam's club of all places

ElevenBravo
12-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Im old school, thus I prefer the tactical sensation of skin on metal... Nothing yells tactical feedback like skin does. I dont run gloves. I think its a symbol more than practical IMHO, but I am only stating my personal experience and opinion.

cammo up and shoot & scoot...
EB

izzyscout21
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Im old school, thus I prefer the tactical sensation of skin on metal... Nothing yells tactical feedback like skin does. I dont run gloves. I think its a symbol more than practical IMHO, but I am only stating my personal experience B

I don't see anything symbolic about protecting my hands, and they are quite practical when my hands aren't banged up and cut to shit.

ElevenBravo
12-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I did say IMHO.... No offense was intended.

izzyscout21
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I did say IMHO.... No offense was intended.

I know.

David Armstrong
12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I like the standard old military gloves with the green wool inserts and the black leather shells. Most of the time I just wear the shell, but I used to slip the inserts in if it got really cold. For a good shooting glove I like baseball batter gloves. Tight, good feeling ability, inexpensive, and a nice level of protection. I've never liked the way the double palm gloves or the ones with the hardshell inserts felt.

bacpacker
12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Baseball Gloves! I hadn't even considered those. They would be perfect in all but cold weather. Thanks

Gunfixr
01-04-2013, 03:50 AM
For everything but pretty cold weather, I just use the Mechanix gloves. I've used them at work, and so knew they have good dexterity and feel.
You can find them in subdued colors, as I have a set in black with a dark green lettering.

Sometimes I don't use gloves either, kind of depends. If I think my hands might be unnecessarily abused, I use them.

Jimmy24
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Having worked as a lineman, troubleshooter and utilityman for a utility company for nearly 30 years, I can attest to the use of gloves.

Try putting on a pair of 30kv rubber gloves along with their accompanying leather covers and then commence to work on energized conductor at 13.2 KV. A pair of mechanics gloves feels like skin…

But my point being, I learned from old school lineman that regular work gloves are your friend. Granted even in a SHTF moment you may not expose your hands and fingers to that much abuse, but in that scenario one can’t take the chance with any sort of injury. Small injuries can turn into larger ones.

I have gloves of all sorts. Pick a pair and at least have them available, so if they are needed, you’ll have them.

Sorry backpacker for getting OT. This is a good thread to revive.

Jimmy

David Armstrong
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't think it is OT. Sure, gloves for armed ops is a noarrow base, but understanding the role gloves can play in your protection leading up to the armed ops is also important, and you make a good point. It is not so much "put on gloves before getting into serious stuff", it is "get some gloves on any time you are in any stuff" otherwise you may notget to the serious stuff. I use the baseball gloves anytime I shoot, for example. You might be surprised at the abrasions and teaars that end up on the gloves but the hand is still OK.

bacpacker
01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Jimmy, I think are exactly on track. My original question was to see what our vetrans on here favored, but ops can be a wide ranging topic. Are you building camp, chopping wood, shooting, hauling water?

I've had to use the rubber (thick) with leather covers at work a few times. After that a set of regular wok gloves are like a second skin.

As I get older I have tended to wear gloves for more and more things, just as a preventative and tend to use different ones for different things. After playing baseball/softball in the past, I can't believe the baseball gloves never crossed my mind. Well the mind ain't what it used to be.

Jimmy24
01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Jimmy, I think are exactly on track. My original question was to see what our vetrans on here favored, but ops can be a wide ranging topic. Are you building camp, chopping wood, shooting, hauling water?

I've had to use the rubber (thick) with leather covers at work a few times. After that a set of regular wok gloves are like a second skin.

As I get older I have tended to wear gloves for more and more things, just as a preventative and tend to use different ones for different things. After playing baseball/softball in the past, I can't believe the baseball gloves never crossed my mind. Well the mind ain't what it used to be.

That's because we finally "get it" when we become older....lol

I call us "seasoned citizens"...:cool: :D

Jimmy

helomech
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
hyflex makes some great gloves. My work provides us with these http://www.ansellpro.com/hyflex/11-500.asp. They have a kevlar lining but you can still do anything with them on. I can manipulate nuts and bolts while working on the helicopter, and they have lots of grip. I use them for everything now, but for very cold climates I like to put a set of the flip up mits on top of them.

bacpacker
01-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Helo, I've saw these at work, but never had a chance to try them out. i will do that at the first chance.

helomech
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Helo, I've saw these at work, but never had a chance to try them out. i will do that at the first chance.

You will love them. I guess you could die them a different color so you don't have yellow.