PDA

View Full Version : Provident Pantry MyChoice FD strawberries and raspberries review

msomnipotent
09-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I am continuing to introduce FD foods to my family, and we just tried strawberries and raspberries.

I really like raspberries, but I would not buy these again. There was a great fresh raspberry scent when I opened the can, but the berries had a surprisingly fake look to them, not unlike Captn Crunch berries. They had almost no taste to them, even when reconstituted in my margarita or in ice cream. It was kind of like eating stale Corn Pops. On the plus side, the can was filled to the top with mostly whole berries. There was very few bits and pieces. I tried them again the next day. The color turned a more realistic red but they absorbed some moisture and I really didn't like the texture. Still, hardly any flavor. And the can was only opened while we were eating them. It isn't like I left them out for hours, so I would have thought the can with the oxygen absorber and lid would have been enough to protect it for at least a full day. Live and learn.

I hate strawberries and I really preferred these over the raspberries. They still had kind of a fake pink look to them, but less so than the raspberries. Like the raspberries, the can was filled to the top and had very little broken bits despite being slices, and a good whiff of strawberry as soon as I opened the can. I thought they tasted exactly like crunchy, fresh strawberries. They looked and felt exactly like fresh, wet strawberries when added to margaritas and ice cream. My husband and daughter like strawberries and thought the flavor was good, but they were not used to the texture (which is why I opened them now instead of waiting for an emergency). They didn't eat much. We still have almost a full can. It has been 3 days and they are still crunchy, but there is a slight hint of fish odor. The oxygen absorber was not put back in the can after we opened them, so maybe that is the trick to keeping them crunchy. I would probably buy these again, but I would only open these if we had a larger group that would eat them within a day or two. The 2oz can was too much for 3 of us.

I had pics, but realized that you could see my check book info when I went to post them, so I had to delete them. Sorry. I was paying the bills while having dessert.

Sniper-T
09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
If you use photobucket, you can edit the photos, and crop out the offending checkbook with just a couple clicks

Thanks for the review. Seems strange that they turn so quickly. I can buy FD berries at the local Bulk Barn in bins, and they are great!

Echo2
09-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I love most of Prov. Pan. stuff.....high quality...and stores well. WE use the #10 cans.....once opened.....put the left over into mason jars with a dry pac.

Be warned eating too much of that w/o a corresponding amount of liquid.

We were watching a movie.....no munchies in the house.....found a bag of FD sweet corn.....it tasted great.....crunchy.....slightly salty.....but I am here to warn you.....WARN YOU.....this stuff has no moisture/oils to help it along.....it not like eating a bunch of Frito's. It will shut you down.

That being said....

I love the berries....if you want a treat....make a bit of sugar water....no too sweet.....add FD berries and allow to sit in fridge until the rehydrate.....mix up some powdered sour cream and a pack of vanilla pudding.....mix it all together and either eat as is or put it over a cake and let it set for a while.....yum.

bacpacker
09-18-2012, 01:10 AM
You guys are killin me. I'm gonna have to get some of those berries. Sounds wonderful.

msomnipotent
09-18-2012, 01:30 AM
I love most of Prov. Pan. stuff.....high quality...and stores well. WE use the #10 cans.....once opened.....put the left over into mason jars with a dry pac.

Be warned eating too much of that w/o a corresponding amount of liquid.

We were watching a movie.....no munchies in the house.....found a bag of FD sweet corn.....it tasted great.....crunchy.....slightly salty.....but I am here to warn you.....WARN YOU.....this stuff has no moisture/oils to help it along.....it not like eating a bunch of Frito's. It will shut you down.

That being said....

I love the berries....if you want a treat....make a bit of sugar water....no too sweet.....add FD berries and allow to sit in fridge until the rehydrate.....mix up some powdered sour cream and a pack of vanilla pudding.....mix it all together and either eat as is or put it over a cake and let it set for a while.....yum.

I can never eat corn again without thinking about what a co-worked told me the day after she ate too much at a corn festival once. "OHHHH, it felt like I was pulling a chain out of my ass all night! I'll never eat corn again!!"
I just can't enjoy it the same way anymore.

Your berry treat sounds great. I'm going to put the other ingredients on my shopping list and try it out.

- - - Updated - - -

If you use photobucket, you can edit the photos, and crop out the offending checkbook with just a couple clicks

Thanks for the review. Seems strange that they turn so quickly. I can buy FD berries at the local Bulk Barn in bins, and they are great!

I wish I knew that before I deleted them. But Photobucket has been mean to me the past two weeks. SOOOOOO slow, and it takes a few tries to upload.

I thought they should have lasted longer than a few days. Maybe I got a bad batch? I should start checking the bulk bins at my stores again. We have dried fruits and leathers, but I didn't see any FD ones.

realist
09-18-2012, 03:06 AM
I think that the berries would have tasted better if you had added more tequila to the Margarita

Note to self watch out for the corn.......