PDA

View Full Version : Possible to increase energy input into solar collectors, via side reflector panels?

Marthony
09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Hello,

Ok, I feel a little foolish asking this but can't resist: Similar to how a solar oven receives additional energy via reflective panels on its sides, could a solar panel not also benefit this way?

I mean this in a small-scale sense, not for a permanently mounted larger unit. I see the 1'x4' & smaller solar panel systems and can't help but wonder why it shouldn't be tried? I'd like to think the panels aren't so easily fried that a 2-5x increase in input light energy would damage them?

I'm curious to acquire a smaller solar panel but can't justify the cost presently. Once I do however, I'd want to max out its potential..!

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 07:03 PM
sounds reasonable to me, and easy enough to accomplish. A couple guys here have experience in this matter and can probably input better.

The only thing, is if it is rated for a 2.5 max, and you're pumping 5 through it... are the wires rated for it? is the inverter rated high enough to accept more power

Daca102090
09-20-2012, 04:23 AM
I think that the main problem you would run into is heat. The hotter the silicon matrix gets the less eficient it becomes at converting light to electricity.
If you can keep the panel from getting too hot, then it might work for at least a while.

Marthony
09-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Interesting. Might be questions for a manufacturer before buying a unit.

Thanks for the thoughts!