PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it clean - Prepping laundry soap and more

4suchatimeasthis
09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
What type of cleaning agents do ya'll prep? How does it work in terms of LTS? Body soap is pretty easy, how about laundry soap, dish soap, something to scrub your hands after butchering that chicken? It's easy to take our level of basic hygiene for granted, but we see in many 3rd world countries, and history also tells us, you can die from what we consider preventable infections, and many times some good old soap and water would have made all the difference.

There are lots of videos and links out there for making all kinds of soaps; body soap, dish soap, laundry soap, etc. Here is one link about making your own laundry soap. (http://livingonthecheap.com/2012/06/make-your-own-laundry-detergent/)

Also, a free tip that I picked up somewhere along the line: Hobo washing machine- Clean 5 gallon pail with a lid, a brand new - never before used toilet plunger. Put a small hole in the lid, to fit the handle of the plunger through, add your clothes, water and soap, and plunge away to clean duds. An easy task for a child to do! I would imagine that the same principle would apply for bigger pails/buckets as well.

bacpacker
09-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Great post. Reading this made me realize how unprepared we are in this area. We just never had gave that much thought. Guess what's moving way up the list for a time?

Taz Baby
09-18-2012, 10:52 PM
When I was in the jungle, the village closest to me used a 55 gal metal drum with lid. They would put the clothes and soap they made in it, Beat the lid on tight and turn it on its side. Then the kids in the village would climb on it and walk, making it roll. after all the kids had their turn that were big enough to play on it, the clothes were done washing. Then they just took them to the river to rinse.

SIL makes the laundry soap and I will be making the bar soap and we can make shampoo and any other hygiene bathing stuff we need.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/01/16/how-to-make-your-own-deodorant/

http://www.naturalnews.com/029140_toothpaste_fluoride.html

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I have several gallons of 'fast Orange' on hand, as it is a great hand cleaner after any task.
I have several 5 gallon jugs of dishsoap on hand, as I also use that for a larvicide.
I am lacking on the laundry soap aspect, but the above will work in a pinch. I will pick up a couple of 5 gallon buckets next time I am at costco though, even though liquid is easier on the septic system. Well, and probably a couple/few more liquid jugs too.

I typically just use a vinegar water mix for cleaning counters and floors anyway, and have an Imperial whackload of vinegar.

I got my eye on a wringer washer at my buddy's old homestead, it looks in great shape, and functions... But I need to find something cool to transplant his wifes flowers into to be able to take it.

:eek:

Taz Baby
09-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I have several gallons of 'fast Orange' on hand, as it is a great hand cleaner after any task.
I have several 5 gallon jugs of dishsoap on hand, as I also use that for a larvicide.
I am lacking on the laundry soap aspect, but the above will work in a pinch. I will pick up a couple of 5 gallon buckets next time I am at costco though, even though liquid is easier on the septic system. Well, and probably a couple/few more liquid jugs too.

I typically just use a vinegar water mix for cleaning counters and floors anyway, and have an Imperial whackload of vinegar.

I got my eye on a wringer washer at my buddy's old homestead, it looks in great shape, and functions... But I need to find something cool to transplant his wifes flowers into to be able to take it.

:eek:

give her an old bath tub

realist
09-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Great post I was just reviewing what I had last night. Bar soap, I'm good for a year at least. Dish soap I have a couple of gallons as well as bleach to go along with it for deep cleaning. Laundry soap I have enough for about a year it is powdered. However that said I am not sure how that would translate when washing by hand. I do need a good container however in a pinch I have a 55 gallon plastic drum cut in half and a plunger. Soap for the floor I have a gallon not really sure how much I should have. We also keep at least a 1/2 gallon of 409 and Windex on hand as well as some simple green.

Sniper - larvicide you made me look that one up. I assume that you put it on the water to kill the little critters. Wackload was not in the dictionary..................but I have a good idea of that quantity. That said I know vinegar is good for glass however it did not occur to me to use it for other cleaning. I guess the acid in it would be good for some things however I am not sure what. How is it for deep cleaning? I like the idea of vinegar. Soooooooo would you please educate me? Thank you ole wise one......

4suchatimeasthis
09-19-2012, 01:39 AM

How bout a nice toilet flower pot? ;)

Sniper-T
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
She already has an old clawfoot tub'o'flowers too, and I suggested a toilet, but she wasn't keen on the idea. :(

I have always used vinegar water for my household cleaning, as it is what my mom taught me. It works great for disinfecting counters/cutting boards, it doesn't leave a film on linoleum flooring, and it cleans hardwood beautifully. We typically use a swiffer wet for all the flooring, but use our own vinegar water mix in the bottle instead of buying the 'proper' stuff (which I find leaves a film over time), but the swiffer itself is great with the squirter, and costco often has the pads on sale. If something needs a 'deep cleaning' like say my butchering table after processing a couple animals, then I just mix it stronger. Normally I'll use about a 1/4 cup to a liter (quart) of water, but for that I'll go about 50/50. If there is blood or fat in any of the pores of the cutting block (or cracks/cuts/whatever) the offensive substance will come bubbling up and out . Then I'll use a normal mix to wipe it down to get the concentrate vinegar off. Each fall, I will give my counters a good deep cleaning prior to any butchering, as they tend to collect dust/etc over the year.

Larvicide: Mosquitos in particular hatch out of standing water, so late in the spring in a wet year, when they start hatching out, I'll fill up my pressure sprayer with a soap/water mixture, afix it to my quad, and go around and spray any water in the ditches, or anything else that will hold water (old tires, etc). Just like in the commercial when they drip some soap into greasy water, when the soap hits the water in the ditch it spreads out and creates a layer on top. when the bugs come to the surface to hatch, they get covered in soap, and suffocate. Diesel fuel works equally well, but dish soap is a little more enviro-friendly. And it is non flamable, so I don't have to worry about an errant butt, or spark setting my 1/4 mile long ditch on fire.

Whackload: Enough to make my wife say "do we really need that much?" and my MIL say" you have lots, I only took one"

I also have a couple of 2' square laundry sinks, and several scrub boards. It's been a long time since I've used one, but they will do in a pinch.

Grumpy Old Man
09-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Get 10 bars of Fels Naptha, 5 boxes of @ 20 mule team borax, 5 boxes of Arm & Hammer washing soda to make a big batch of laundry soap. I use 2/3 bar of Fels Naptha, 1 cup @ of the borax and washing soda and run it through a food processor I bought at a yard sale until it is finely ground and mixed. Use 1/2 cup of mix per load. The above ingredients should yield in excess of a 5 gallon bucket full. It is a little time consuming to make and don't forget to wear a mask, nitrile gloves and eye protection as this mix has phosphates, etc in it. This is a dry detergent btw.

ETA A friend in the SE adds 1/3 bar of lye soap to this mix as well. I forget the brand she used as it was getting hard to find, but I do know that lye soap is available from mosoap.

http://store.mosoap.com/lyesoap.html

I've also been told that you can substitute soaps such as Kirk's Castile and Ivory as well, but I've never tried it.

Evolver
09-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Justa has been making our own laundry soap for over three years now.
Copyed from her post, http://www.shtfready.com/threads/163-Doing-Laundry-PAW/page3?highlight=homemade+laundry+soap

Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder
~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~

***Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.

The soap is a low sudsing soap. So if you don’t see suds, that is ok. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.

If you want your soap to have some sort of scent you can scent this with ½ to 1 oz. of essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice.

My Storage Calculations:

Washing Soda - 55 ounce box
1/2 Cup = 5 ounces
Each box has 11 "servings"

Borax - 76 ounce box
1/2 Cup = 3 ounces
Each box has 25 "servings"

Fels Naptha
Each bar has 3 "servings"

You'll need:
2 boxes of Washing Soda (22 full recipes)
1 box of Borax (22 full recipes + 3 extra servings)
8 bars of Fels Naptha (22 full recipes +2 extra servings)

Also, I keep a spare whisk on top of my bucket because it does get "clumpy". Every time I refill my small/handy jug I give it a good whisk to make sure everything is evenly combined. And, as I do laundry I give my little jug a quick shake just to combine again.

***I also grate the soap in my food processor to save time but if you do this make sure to wash it immediately. The Fels Naptha has a "scent" and it will permeate the plastic bowl. Don't ask how I know.

Taz Baby
09-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Idea's for Snipe T

http://onefortythree.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/sink-planter-above.jpg
http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/img/ps-garden/32883.jpg
http://funflowerfacts.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/piano-planter.jpg
http://ladywe.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/inspiration-garden-gardening-flowers-landscaping-volkswagen-beetle-garden-planter-flower-bed-pinterest2.jpg

Anything that will hold dirt

greg48
11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
in the desert we used an old ice chest that the top was broken off, i have used a helmet to wash socks in , seemed the dry detergent worked best for scrubbing the clothes.

ladyhk13
11-30-2012, 01:47 AM
I have all the ingredients for laundry soap and didn't even realize it! Been stocking up. Must have been in my brain for some reason. I also have liquid laundry soap, bleach, hand soap, body soap...been saving for quite some time. Here is a list of things that you can use peroxide on. A friend of mine emailed it to me. I was surprised to see all the uses...

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle)and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I doit when I bathe.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiterwithout expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them freeof germs.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs andleave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them
(especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other Disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow yournose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually, so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help get rid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is no smearing, which is why I love it so much for this.

14. Another place it's great is in the bathroom, if someone has been careless & has peed on the floor around the toilet & it's begun to smell of urine. Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle & spray. In the blink of any eye all the smell will be gone & the bacteria eliminated!

ElevenBravo
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Not to take from your post, but IMHO Ivory is the king of soaps.

If I could, Id fill a 55gal drum with bars of Ivory.

Not only can you shower with it, its great to wash hair, wash dishes *and* do the laundry. Ive done laundry in a 5 gal bucket and a un-modified toilet plunger (dedicated to the task, bought new for that... It didnt have piss & turds on it), to get best results, use warm or hot water, and shave a little off the bar of Ivory using a cheap dollar store cheese grater.

The soap will dissolve fast and do it's job just fine.

Now, my wife & daughter would scoff at me for giving them soap to wash there hair today, but post SHTF... Im pretty sure Id be thought of as the "King of Hygiene" for having it! HA HA!

Take care all,
EB

Domeguy
12-30-2012, 04:43 AM
I started making my own laundry soap about a year ago. My wife said forget it, that isn't going to happen. But since I do all the laundry, I over ruled her. But she had to admit I was right on this one. It works just great. I use something close to the above recipe.

Jimmy24
12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Justa has been making our own laundry soap for over three years now.
Copyed from her post, http://www.shtfready.com/threads/163-Doing-Laundry-PAW/page3?highlight=homemade+laundry+soap

I use the same formula and ingredients only I don't make the gel. Tried it, but saw no difference in just using them dry. I make the mix, keep in a large sealed plastic container. It takes about 1/2 cup for a large load.

To soften the mix use Ivory bar soap.

I have a very good supply of hand/bath soap, dish soap and ingredients for the washing soap.

Good thread.

Jimmy

Gunfixr
01-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Must've missed this before.
Yup, got lots of Ivory bars, it's what we use for bathing anyway. I even save the little pieces form when they just get small enough to be hard to use in the shower. They can still be shaved for laundry.
I do have several gallons of regular hand soap, and several large jugs of anti-bacterial dish soap.
The plan is more of both the Ivory and the dish soap.
The Ivory for all general washing, and the anti-bacterial dish soap for dishes and when specific germ killing ability is desired.
I could get the alcohol gel, but it has a quicker tendency to dry out than the dish soap does.

4suchatimeasthis
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't know if it actually works, but my Grandmother saves all those little pieces of soap, when they get too small to be used in the shower. She puts them in an old nylon stocking and ties them to the corners of her garden. She says it keeps the deer and critters away. I've never tried it, but it couldn't hurt. And when it rains, your garden will smell Ivory fresh ;)

Gunfixr
01-06-2013, 04:38 AM
Never heard that one.

No deer around here.

Just rats, both with 4 feet and only two.

Somehow I doubt it would keep out the two-footed variety. You'd have to string them up bare, and all over the place. People around here seem afraid to bathe, maybe they're allergic to soap.
All I know is everybody stinks, or smells like a French whore, which is still a stench.