PDA

View Full Version : Canning Crackers

Taz Baby
09-20-2012, 01:57 AM
If this is not where this belongs please put it where it does. Or maybe we can have a separate sub thread for Canning. where we can put how to can things and all about canning in it. Just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rscHVAxO_zc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Place in a cold oven and do NOT let the jars touch. Use the middle rack if possible. Set the oven to 225° F. and use the following time table:
Start timing when the oven reaches the desired temperature.
Pints - 20 minutes
Quarts - 30 minutes
Half Gallons - 45 minutes
Tighten the lid on each jar, being careful not to get burned, and set on a towel to cool. The shelf life of these items is about 10 years if stored in a cool, dry place.

Katrina
09-20-2012, 05:03 AM
That's awesome. I am going to try that with my Triscuits. DH and I luvs our Triscuits.

Sniper-T
09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Let us know how it works out Katrina

slowz1k
09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
CRACKERS!!!!! Never even thought about storing crackers!

Sniper-T
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking that this same process would work for grains as well!

Katrina
09-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Will do Sniper , just have to wait till they go on sale.That is if I can keep dh outta them LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't the heat kill off the nutrients in the grain? I always thought that's why grain was stored in cool place. I dont know that kind of stuff, I'm a city gal HAHA

Sniper-T
09-22-2012, 05:12 PM
crackers are grains... They still have nutrician in them (according to the box)

AlphaTea
09-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Good luck.
Hope they turn out better than mine did.
Somewhere here in the forums I posted about putting away some mini saltines in Foodsaver Vacuum cannisters.
I tried them after a couple of years. VERY nasty. I am only guessing but I think the oil/shortening in them went rancid.
IIRC I used O2 absorbers, desiccant pacs AND it was vac sealed. I had high hopes for crackers too.
Maybe heating with the oven will work better.