PDA

View Full Version : Casualty Drag Strap Kit

The Stig
09-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Endom USA makes their Dragster Strap Kit (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=72) for emergency hauling of incapacitated or large mammal type people. Fact of the matter is some of us can't fireman carry another human for a number of reasons. The strap can be used as a field expedient method to drag someone and make leverage your friend. It can be used for other lifting/dragging/hauling applications also.

Here is what Endom says about it:

Overview: Emdom-MM Dragster Strap is an ultra compact emergency drag / utility strap system (1,995 lbs static load limitation) designed by Emdom USA and MM from www.militarymorons.com. Its primary use is to assist in (hand-free) dragging a wounded or immobile person away from immediate danger when used in conjunction with a rigger belt and two carabineers / snap links (not included). Other uses include hauling up / securing a load, assisting a person to overcome / descend from a wall / slope, or functioning as a handy webbing / buddy link. The system is multifunctional, yet compact enough to be carried by anyone, and can be deployed instantly without complications.

http://www.emdomusa.com/images/drag-strap/D1.JPG

I thought this was rather cool and was "this close" to ordering a couple. I thought this might be a good addition to a car kit along with general use on my gear. While I have no illusions of dragging downed buddies off the battlefield I do see this as useful for a smaller gal to haul an larger injured fella. Or to get better leverage if the footing is not secure/slippery or you simply can't get a good angle on something you need to move.

It then dawned on me that I have the stuff laying around to mimic such a kit.

I took a Tactical Tailor compass pouch and added a ratcheting strap like you use to secure cargo on your car carrier. I had a real-deal carabiner laying around and for good measure I added a length of 550 paracord.

Blamo....expedient causality drag kit.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-09-20_20-18-17_17_zps3b087253.jpg

Now the cargo strap is only rated to around 100lbs which is clearly not enough. But for the short term it will make do. Next time I go to Lowes/Wall-Mart I'll pick up a heavier duty one.

LUNCHBOX
09-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Very nice.

mitunnelrat
09-21-2012, 01:46 AM
I'd like to "like" this.

bacpacker
09-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Very good idea Stig. i just need to add some strapping material. Our GHB's already have a biner and at least 100 ft of 550 cord. Same deal when we hike, that stuff is there like a compass, firestarter, water. It is rarely used, but invaluable if you need it.

4suchatimeasthis
09-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Clever, very clever!

Echo2
09-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Wait a minute......you mean you didn't already have most that stuff in your kit anyway?

I have a 10+ ft chunk of 1" webbing with sliders and a couple buckle to use for lashings/ tourniquet in my kit....always have a bundle of para-cord....and I only use rated biners to hold gear and such to my pack.

Guess I'm good...:)

BTW.....go ahead an splurge on the rated rigging.....in case you really have to move something heavy.

I've towed a car with para-cord.....and didn't worry about doing so either.....granted it was about 7 laps....:)

Sniper-T
09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Why not go with something like this:

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/calls-decoys/accessories/deluxe-deer-drag/prod64208.html

Echo2
09-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Most folks react poorly to being drug around by the neck....:)

Sniper-T
09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
If they cannot walk on their own, they shouldn't be so picky!

;)

The Stig
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Wait a minute......you mean you didn't already have most that stuff in your kit anyway?

Oh sure...I have big ass tow straps in the vehicles that could be used to haul someone.

Thought this would be a simpler standalone kit that we'd actually remember to use in the heat of the moment.

Also, this can be attached easily to a chest rig. Vehicle tow straps...not so much.

Besides.....just using the vehicle tow straps wouldn't let me mess around with a new pouch and chest-rig set up. What fun would that be?

Echo2
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Oh sure...I have big ass tow straps in the vehicles that could be used to haul someone.

Thought this would be a simpler standalone kit that we'd actually remember to use in the heat of the moment.

Also, this can be attached easily to a chest rig. Vehicle tow straps...not so much.

Besides.....just using the vehicle tow straps wouldn't let me mess around with a new pouch and chest-rig set up. What fun would that be?

point made....new gear purchase and valid excuse for doing so.....gotta give you that one...:)

Grumpy Old Man
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
^^^^^^ Point well taken!!

2die4
09-21-2012, 10:44 PM
If you don't have the spare gear laying around $28.00 isn't to bad for this.

GunnerMax
09-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I have looked into and comtemplated buying the emdomm MM kit. Now since I am in a more aggressive squadron, it is looking like a better purchase. I would stick with the 550 cord, and lose thr strap that has a pathetic load capacity

The Stig
09-22-2012, 12:24 AM
I have looked into and comtemplated buying the emdomm MM kit. Now since I am in a more aggressive squadron, it is looking like a better purchase. I would stick with the 550 cord, and lose thr strap that has a pathetic load capacity

Yea...that strap is really just a place holder. I'll be upgrading it shortly.