PDA

View Full Version : Polar ice cap could be gone by the end of summer 2015?

Marthony
09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
A little sooner than 2050..! The clip alleges the ice caps could melt as soon as the end of summer 2015. Of course there is partial re-freezing during winters, but..!

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Technology%20and%20Science/ID/2282025985/

Saw this on the CBC news Thursday night. It seems the melting is going far faster than anyone thought/predicted.

Worse, per the clip, once the ice is gone the energy reflecting action of the ice will be lost, and the water will absorb the sun's energy instead. This accellerated warming with then melt the permafrost in Siberia & northern Canada; allegedly the decaying bio-matter in the permafrost will then release enough methane to equate 4x the CO2 effect mankind has caused since the industrial revolution.

I don't know how much sea levels would rise, much less the effect on weather patterns.

Industry will get quite excited however, as it will mean large new territory to exploit.

From a prepping perspective, this first makes me concerned for food production as drastic weather changes are rarely positive. Second, I can't imagine what weather changes/storms this would bring.

Thoughts?

helomech
09-21-2012, 09:54 PM
I will place my bet right now this article is wrong. Any takers?

Evolver
09-21-2012, 09:56 PM
We need to locate Al Gore and put a stop to this. He's up there alright I got proof so we just need to find him.

My Proof.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/2007-07-07AlGore.jpg

Grumpy Old Man
09-21-2012, 10:58 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/tinfoilhatdogpatriotic.jpg

MegaCPC
09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Beware the prophet seeking profit.

Marthony
09-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Glad to be on a forum that doesn't run with a ball without confirming it is, in fact, a watermelon. =)

It's hard for a layman to tell what scientist/evidence has correct data. From what angles do you feel the article is incorrect?

Evolver
09-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry for my making fun the subject Marthony but I've about had it with all the hub bub about Global Warming. Yes the melting of the polar ice caps could happen and should be considered for our preparedness.

Marthony
09-21-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm not offended in the slightest Evolver. I don't pay attention to general word on the subject either, but it is unusual for the CBC to run such material. It does appear that the melt is progressing at whatever speed however.

Grumpy Old Man
09-21-2012, 11:57 PM
I'll reply in detail later, but specifically a melt off of polar ice of that magnitude would an require extreme energy input that mankind is incapable of making short of launching all nuclear weapons over the pole and even then it would only last for a short while. Climate change has occurred throughout geologic time and will continue to occur regardless of what man does. In short the assumptions of this videos are politically driven. It is a case of ignoring the data that doesn't support the theory, or worse yet, "cooking" the data to support the theory.

BTW, my professional geologist license, which I keep in Wyoming, is PG-2291. I was fortunate enough to take Glacial Geology at the University of Arizona from Dr. Lawrence McKinley Gould, second in command of the Admiral Byrd expedition to Antartica in the 1920s. He was about 85 years old at the time

ak474u
09-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Didn't some greeny try to kayak to the pole to prove the melt was progressing, and have to turn back due to "unexpected, unseasonal icing" ? Winters are becoming more harsh if you watch shows like Deadliest catch, they had to go home due to the ice flows moving south last season, which was unexpected.

Marthony
09-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks Grumpy Old Man, this is the kind of practical perspective I'm here for.

The Stig
09-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm with Evolver....with the constant flow of enviro alarmist warnings that range from a mini-ice age to a greenhouse meltdown it's hard to take any of this stuff seriously. Mix in the ultra left wing agenda behind much it (which is beyond the scope of what this website is about) and its just hard to get worked up over.

Grumpy Old Man
09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
^^What Stig said. I'm much more concerned about earthquakes and urban unrest out here.

Sniper-T
09-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Let's just say that I am not going to sell my snowmobile just yet. Or my ice fishing gear.

Global warming... hmm, maybe I'll get more than a 3-1/2 month growing season! lol

/\
. .
o

Baker
09-23-2012, 03:23 PM
What's ironic is that while the arctic is setting record lows for ice, the antarctic is setting record highs. Al Gore be damned to explain that one huh.

Evolver
09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
What's ironic is that while the arctic is setting record lows for ice, the antarctic is setting record highs. Al Gore be damned to explain that one huh.

Wooo Hooo!!! The search for Al Gore can know be focused to just Antarctic. Gore... We're getting warmer!!! (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

ak474u
09-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I kinda believe it, for example, last January, it was 70* cooler here than it was this August. There's your undisputable proof right there!