PDA

View Full Version : Severe weather - unwanted reminder

prepguide
09-26-2012, 02:02 AM
It is currently raining here in my portion of western Oklahoma which is a seriously good thing since we are in Exceptional Drought. However had an incident happen a few minutes that might have had serious consequences.

Had just stepped outside to check on a few items stacked next to the house because the wind was picking up. I was maybe eight steps out the door when a gust that was well upwards of 50 mph hit and several large pieces of corrugated material took flight and right at me!!!

I had to jump one but it still caught me in the leg (looks okay but still sore). So a few lessons I learned today

Keep more than a glancing eye on the weather. I was quite busy today working in the barn and so allowed myself to not pay much attention so poor situational awareness on my part.

If I had put boots on versus the tennis shoes I slipped on for convenience then where the metal hit (front of the ankle) would have been covered.

So the leg is sore and it is a good reminder to not let yourself get too wrapped up in what you are doing. So hope that my lesson helps someone else.

bacpacker
09-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Good reminder. Glad you are ok.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-26-2012, 02:38 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOk....lahoma, where the winds come sweeping down the plains! Gotta work on that oops thing. Glad to hear that it was minor, time to secure for sea there shipwreck. Guess you need to keep an eye on the weather eh? Here's a link I use that you might find helpful.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Twitchy
09-26-2012, 02:55 AM
geez, glad your alright! Stay safe up there!

Willie51
09-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Glad to hear you're okay and very glad you all are getting rain. We were just out that way recently and it was very sad seeing all the areas affected by the severe drought.

4suchatimeasthis
09-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Ouch, glad it wasn't serious! Enjoy that rain-on-the-roof sound :)

ak474u
09-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Can you didn't get hurt. Can you fan some of that rain toward Dallas?

msomnipotent
09-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Oh, that sounds painful. I know my state had some pretty good storms going on, but we didn't see any of it.

prepguide
10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Turns out we got about 3.5 inches over the course of about three days and it really helped the wheat. It wasn't enough to break the drought but it was absolutely beneficial.

Echo2
10-09-2012, 12:40 PM
It only takes a second.....ouch.

Glad you're ok.