PDA

View Full Version : Kids clothes

izzyscout21
09-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Obviously, storing up clothes for myslef and the wife isn't too difficult......but for two 3 year olds........sheesh.

I really dont see a good way to do it. They outgrow clothing so freaking fast........
I'm not in a position monetarily right now where I can just go stock up on kids clothes, even if I hit up goodwill, thrift stores, or yardsales. I just don't have the coin right now and will not for the forseeable future.

Even if I did have the money, there's no possible way to know what sizes they will be in 6 months down the road......

What's a guy to do?

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 03:16 PM
buy them 6 sizes too big, hem them in as necessary, and let them out as needed. Come SHTF, they aren't going to be entering any 'little miss Zombie killer pageants, so utilitarian will work

beyond that... buy yourself a good quality sewing machine and stock up on bolts of cloth (denim, etc), and make your own as they need them

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Good answer, even yet the best way to get the best quality Kids clothes is to go to the ritzy neighborhood yard sales. They always have the best kids clothes cause they always buy the expensive stuff to try and keep up with the Jone's. Those people are stupid for doing it anyway, kids clothes are recyclable. That was the way to go when my daughter was growing up. As for the coinage...........we had that talk.

izzyscout21
09-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm just going to wrap them up in a toga.

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
as cool as it sounds, and the freedom is awesome, but togas aren't the best choice for hand to hand combat, or for running.
Other hand to hand things are awesome as well, but to the dad of daughters... not so much. rethink this plan

izzyscout21
09-27-2012, 04:09 PM
fine. Burlap sacks with head and arm holes......LOL

no....seriously.......gotta figure something out.....

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
don't like the sewing machine and cloth idea? fabric stores are always selling off end of rolls for stupid cheap, and if you can follow a pattern, you can make anything.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-27-2012, 04:18 PM
I stand corrected LadyHK has made me "reread" your post, GO KNOCK OFF THE GOOD WILL AND SALVATION ARMY BOXES! Call me I'll come up and help, call it training. Stand by for further guidance...............here she comes....................

izzyscout21
09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I stand corrected LadyHK has made me "reread" your post, GO KNOCK OFF THE GOOD WILL AND SALVATION ARMY BOXES! Call me I'll come up and help, call it training. Stand by for further guidance...............here she comes....................

LMAO

Grumpy Old Man
09-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Think tunics Izzy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunic

Or sarongs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong

ladyhk13
09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
You guys crack me up....you think like men. You should have posted "Ladies, I need your advice" and you would have gotten some real answers! :)
It's called Networking with other parents of children. The person with the oldest child (or the biggest) passes them down to the next until they either get so worn or have no use anymore and then they are used for rags. This will be the same for homeschool books/materials and toys.
Moms instinctivly know these things and will do it again when new "families" begin to form. This goes also for childcare...It takes a village to raise a child.
Also an option Izzy is to look for patterns at yardsales and such for kids clothes that are bigger (they will usually have several sizes in one pattern so it is VERY adjustable and can be used many times) and look for material on sale which I like to find for $1 a yard or so and one yard will probably be more than enough for a child's outfit...just look on the back of the pattern. These can be stored easily in tubs and be made as needed later. I buy material, patterns and thread whenever I can. One day there will be no stores to run to.

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 04:50 PM
You guys crack me up....you think like men...
Also an option Izzy is to look for patterns at yardsales and such for kids clothes that are bigger (they will usually have several sizes in one pattern so it is VERY adjustable and can be used many times) and look for material on sale which I like to find for $1 a yard or so and one yard will probably be more than enough for a child's outfit...just look on the back of the pattern. These can be stored easily in tubs and be made as needed later. I buy material, patterns and thread whenever I can. One day there will be no stores to run to.

buy yourself a good quality sewing machine and stock up on bolts of cloth (denim, etc), and make your own as they need them...

...don't like the sewing machine and cloth idea? fabric stores are always selling off end of rolls for stupid cheap, and if you can follow a pattern, you can make anything

Guess you think like a man too. That is basically exactly what I suggested. Since I am way rural, and not expecting many of my neighbours to stick around/survive, I wasn't thinking of the "mom-network"

:)

izzyscout21
09-27-2012, 06:21 PM
OK......so who's gonna be the colony seamstress/tailor?

I can't sew worth a flip.......not for lack of trying.
The closest thing to sewing I've ever done was sewing patches on the old BDU's......oh, and I made my wife a pillow from one of my ACU uniforms before I deployed......er, at least it looked like a pillow.

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 06:32 PM
sewing is easy. it is the same as building with wood, steel, aluminium or unobtanium. the only difference is the manner of fastening.

4suchatimeasthis
09-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Well, Izzy, you better pray for a seamstress in your group! Really, us TN'ers should consider a MAG of sorts! I can sew just about anything, from scratch or tailored.

Anyway, here is what I do. Come shtf my girls will be in dresses, jumpers (skirt style bottom, with a top that has straps on the shoulders, designed to be worn over a shirt)they are very simple to make, and are adjustable at both the waist, and the length. Seriously, if you can make a pillow, you can make a jumper, I will see if I can't find a youtube video. If nothing else, next time there is a TN get together, I can show your wife how to follow a simple pattern, otherwise, I am going to Gatlinburg in February, and I will have a free Saturday.

Also, those thick tights that cover several sizes, stock on on a few pairs of those a few sizes up. They will really help cut the chill, and like I said, they stretch to cover several sizes. Add to that, some sort of stretchy warm long sleeve shirt (winter, cold days) and short sleeve (summer, warm days). Buy things that come in packs of multiples, like panties and socks, next time you buy them a package, get one extra package say 3 sizes up. Do the same for socks. Shoes are going to be the hardest, you can always wait till the end of summer sales and get those cheapo canvas tennis shoes for like $3 a pair. They will be better than nothing.

The waistline is the biggest thing that changes in kids, the length you can always let out. They do sew those elastic style expander's in kids waistlines now days, they button in the sides of the waistband, besides the elastic in the back. That wouldn't be that difficult to replicate, if you had the elastic and the fabric. Denim, heavier weighted cottons, even some of the lighter canvas types of material will be good. Poncho style wraps will help add warmth in winter, and can be belted....just think back 200 yrs, what did simple (not the upper class high society twits) women wear? It was probably for warmth and utility as much as modesty. Also, you can split jeans and make them into skirts very easily.

Worst case scenario, find a local little old lady to adopt into your group, come shtf. An older woman could help watch the kids, keep fires going, help cook and help sew, so that younger, more able bodies can do other things, like gardening, etc.

msomnipotent
09-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Call all of your friends (or put an ad in the local paper or craigslist) to arrange a clothes swap, if you still have your kid's older clothes. People just love baby clothes.

bacpacker
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
What aizes are they in right now?

izzyscout21
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
4T...ish.....

- - - Updated - - -

As a follow on:

Got to thinking about this and then realized that I probably need to kidnap a cobbler as well......shoes........ugh.

msomnipotent
09-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Shoes are a killer. My daughter's shoes cost just as much as mine, mainly because I am a cheap ass when it comes to buying shoes for myself.

4suchatimeasthis
09-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Well, chances are that if you had to, most of us could figure out how to make moccasins, it's a skill that is in a lot of survival books. I've never tried it, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to practice. The hardest part would probably be working the hide, that is something I have never done.

ladyhk13
09-28-2012, 03:15 AM
Guess you think like a man too. That is basically exactly what I suggested. Since I am way rural, and not expecting many of my neighbours to stick around/survive, I wasn't thinking of the "mom-network"

:)

I think your post hadn't posted yet when I put mine up (or it came on while I was typing and so I didn't see it) or I would have just hit the "like" button and saved myself some time :)
Also I guess if you are thinking that people won't stick around/survive then at some point in time - probably should have enough clothes in the meantime - those who need clothes should be able to just go from house to house and find them.

Sniper-T
09-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Ah... so it is the 'great minds think alike' thing. I can live with that! lol

Most places that sell material will also sell leather. So it is something you can stock up on too (for mocassins).

Check your yellow pages for a local Furrier or tannery. If there is a trapping season where you live, there has to be a place that accepts (buys) and sells the furs. They will usually have some tools available as well

Katrina
09-30-2012, 03:50 AM
I hope you got strong teeth, chew the hide well. Seriously If you're lucky to have some hide to work on, making moccasin's is not too difficult to do. You'll need a really strong needle and awl. I reiterate what lady said get in touch with other parents in the area, call the school and ask to talk to PTA member, that's how I hooked up with a couple mom's and we swapped clothes. It was great, son 1 is 5 yrs older than son 2 so I had clothes to swap out and both boys had good selection of clothes while they were little.

Gunfixr
10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I was going to say the same, make moccasins.
You could make the uppers from other materials, you'd just need something with good wear characteristics for the soles.
If you are anywhere near a town, there will be abandoned kids clothes about, as people leave, etc.
My wife is quite good at sewing, but we are some distance away. She already has enough stuff here to make clothes for a couple squads, maybe more.

GunnerMax
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
My wife and I hit up a baby thrift store on Saturday for a reduction inventory sale. You could fill up a grocery bag for 3.99. You could try and call those types of places and try to take advantage of overstocking.