PDA

View Full Version : Sewing kit

m4gery
09-29-2012, 01:43 AM
I had a thought the other day: A lot of people have their packs/bags/belts/75 pound tactical vests with 53loaded magazines etc., but what happens when you have a seam unravel or tear something? It might be a good idea to have a small sewing kit.

So what I did was this: I took a military surplus match case (with the screw-on cap), and found I could fit:
A thimble (upside down so it takes next to no room)
several sizes/styles of needles
a couple spare BDU buttons
and black and tan thread

For the thread, I cut about a .5 x 1-1.25" size of thin plastic, cut a indention at each end, and wrapped the thread around it (like a lot of those Christmas light storage thingies)

I can now repair things while out hunting/camping etc., and it takes up almost no space/weight.

bacpacker
09-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Great idea there. I've been taking some notes on all the clothing, shoe threads, making up a small kit for a GHB fits right in a supplies list I'm workin on. We have some stuff, but not much and certainly no where what we would need.

EDIT: I would recommend adding a small spool of 4lb test fishing line also. I have used that to sew buttons back on my BDU's and have yet to loose another one after that.

Kodiak
09-29-2012, 07:44 AM
I really need to learn how to sew...

ak474u
09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Mine is basically identical to the op, I used a pill bottle, but I also added black phosphate coated safety pins from old ar bandoliers.

Echo2
09-29-2012, 06:12 PM
These are handy too...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7570479632_b44b49d7a3.jpg

Sniper-T
09-29-2012, 09:35 PM
anyone can sew. but the skilled make it look nice. thread a needle, run it back and forth through whatever you need a bunch of times, and then tie it off. And you just sewed!

Op, how about dropping a couple of buttons into the empty thimble? a couple of toothpicks to create the button stem?
nice job. I have bunches of sewing kits, but none as compact as that. got some pics?

4suchatimeasthis
09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Altoid tins. There ya go. And needles work well in old cases from film, of course no body has those any more.

I have a disease, it's called fabric-itis, and I am not allowed to shop at fabric stores without hubby along. I have huge 40 gallon rubbermaid totes full of fabric. My sewing stuff is in multiple boxes and bags. I like to quilt and make all kinds of sewing projects. I made a "Gone With The Wind" style hoop-dress in just over 4 hrs once, with my Grandmothers help, but still, lol. I love to sew, and I could spend DAYS in fabric stores, mulling over cloth, buttons, zippers, velcro strips, and the endless do-dads you can buy to accessorize.

Normally, I am a tight-fisted, frugal, penny-pinching woman. You put me in a fabric (or book store, or tack store) store, and I lose my friggin' mind. And screw the mall, I'd rather shop at the co-op!

Sniper-T
09-29-2012, 10:46 PM
So... if I pm you my size, you can make me a hoop dress?? No, wait... I mean a .. awe shit! never mind!

lol

fabric is always good to have around! the other important thing that I have added is rolls of elastic. waist/ ankles/wrists. elastic is awesome for holding your sleeves, or pantlegs out of the way. (Think about a pair of sweats.) Nothing easier to make, elastic to hold em up, paracord tied to hold em where you like, and you are good to go. no F-ing around with sizes!

GunnerMax
09-29-2012, 11:59 PM
I take care of this issue in a three way solution. I buy really high quality gear, I have 550 cord, and a sewing kit. Those 3 combined, I feel very confident

Sniper-T
09-30-2012, 12:23 AM
what kind of needle do you use with 550 cord?

and I dont care how good the gear is, scrambling through a hawthorn brush tracking a deer (or escaping an attacker) WILL shred the best of anything! guaranteed!!!!

Now, can you fix it?

4suchatimeasthis
09-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Sniper, it'd almost be worth it to see you in a dress....but then how would I get the nightmares to stop?

Fabric glue is also nice. Oh, and I have found embroidery floss to be super useful, and not just for darning socks, you can quick-stitch with it, and it's stupid strong. Plus, it's crazy cheap, which is my favorite price.

Sniper-T
09-30-2012, 12:43 AM
if you can get beyond the hair... I really do have awesome legs! And... If you had a pic of my butt... you'd know that I could work it!

:)

bwahahahahaha

4suchatimeasthis
09-30-2012, 12:57 AM
:rolleyes: your poor wife, lol, how does she handle your ego?!

mkay, sorry, I'm done jacking the thread!

Sniper-T
09-30-2012, 01:01 AM
rofl!!!!

my wife's favourite explanation.. or excuse for me is " Life is never dull"

bwahahahaha

pm me if you want a pic. I'll send you one!
;)

4suchatimeasthis
09-30-2012, 01:20 AM
^^^In the words of "Anna Scott", "Tempting, but, no"! Lol

Sniper-T
09-30-2012, 03:06 AM
*sigh*

fair enough!

completely, your loss!

*sigh*

Gunfixr
10-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Uummm, I do have several sewing kits, and I can use them.

FL-Jeeper
10-07-2012, 07:18 AM
For stitching up web gear, packs, and other heavy duty items a small tent repair kit works well. I picked up one awhile back that consists of a clear 3"x3/4" plastic tube containing several very large needles, a few big safety pins, a couple buttons, a thimble and a spool of heavy duty thread.

"It ain't gotta be pretty, it just needs to work."

Echo2
10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Shoe-goo is another great product.....like the fabric glue on steroids.

Taz Baby
10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
keep in mind that material goes with a sewing kit. Small pieces up to 1 yard will work for patching up torn shirts and pants from vines and thorns while in the woods. Super glue is also good to keep in your sewing kit along with a tire tube for patching things that go in water.

Kesephist
08-31-2015, 04:06 PM
(sigh) YES, necro-ing... but the subject is one not all that well addressed, unless you lot's SHTF clothes are woven steel or knitted adamantium.

No? Thought not.

I'm not a fan of velcro on clothes. Most of my work pants are cut along the same lines as old-style BDU pants, and instead of buttons on the cargo pockets... Ayup, you guessed it, 3/4" squares of dear-lord-this-is-cheapass velcro.

Sooo...

Went on the bay, heaven help me, and got an order of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271761797107?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been slowly reworking them, speeded up slightly by the fact that this cheap-cro doesn't last very long. And reordered another batch for a more desperate time.

Back in my Army days, under Reagen, one of our platoon sgts showed us an easy peasy cheat to get the buttons in the right place... Of all things, a drop of Superglue, then sew the hell out of the button. As hard as the water was at some of the southern posts, SG would not last all that long.

My two bits

Kesephist

Fidel MD
09-01-2015, 12:40 AM
I carry two or three needles, wrapped in thread, in all of my match cases.

Domeguy
09-01-2015, 05:36 AM
I keep 3 needles & about 10 feet of thread in each of our cars GHB, along with a tube of superglue, and various other goodies. I'm going to try that trick the next time I need to see on a button. Thanks for the tip.:cool:

jamesneuen
09-01-2015, 09:56 PM
I do believe steel or adamantium skivvies might get hot or cold depending on where you live. And I already replaced all the Velcro on my uniform. Wore out in the first month

realist
09-04-2015, 04:40 PM
if you can get beyond the hair... I really do have awesome legs! And... If you had a pic of my butt... you'd know that I could work it!

This could start getting real ugly..........