PDA

View Full Version : How strong is your prepping network?

prepguide
09-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Got a phone call late last night from an old friend that I was in the Marines with back in the day. He is also a prepper and although he lives quite a distance away we still have a connection. I know that if the need arises I have a place at his table and he at mine.

It got me thinking in broader terms - How far flung and strong is my network of preppers? I know a large amount of them in many parts of the country and have visited many prepper homes over the years. That is due to my involvement with several prep groups as well as my work as a preparedness consultant. I speak to a number of preppers every week all around the country. If there is information I am looking for it isn't hard to find, just dial up one of my associates and there it is.

But getting to this point has taken many years and no small amount of commitment on my part to create and develop those relationships. I know lawyers, doctors, nurses, mechanics, pilots, salesmen, housewives, military of numerous types and so on. I talk, trade information and/or goods, exchange services with many of these folks on a regular basis and am on the lookout for more opportunities all the time. The value of being well networked cannot be overstated in my opinion.

So my question to you is how strong is YOUR prep network?

Echo2
09-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I would say pretty strong....If you are referring to "if all else fails and I show up on their doorstep"....a family in tow changes the dynamics a bit.

As far as resource acquisition....very strong. Generally if asked.....I can have hands on most non-contraband items within 24 to 48 hours.....and a "let me check" otherwise.

Our direct group is in the double digits....encompassing many trades and walks of life....so the net for something can be cast very wide.

ak474u
09-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Mine is pretty good, but consists of immediate family, and in-laws for the most part. Mine is intentionally far-flung as far as family goes, I sorta moved back to Dallas to be away from them, and our relationships have grown stronger. As far as friends, most of my close friends are prepping to some extent, a few have very nice rural property that is remote, and stocked or could be at short notice, and are of the same mindset as me. It would be nice to have a formal MAG, and a close friend, basically family to my wife, is in the process of buying a really nice BOL/rural place with that intent.

Echo2
09-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Sorry..I should mention...my family is part of a group....we have a strong BOL and it is secure.

I was looking at the question as one of logistics.

I plan on making it to the BOL.....on that end of things....I have a lot of faith in the preps we have obtained.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Sound pretty nosey for somebody new, not being an ass. But you talk a pretty good line, why don't you settle in and let everyone get to know you and your "expertise" before you start asking such questions. We do have quiet a big happy family here that is close knit in some places, who'll bend over backwards at the drop of a hat to help anyone out. But we'll also do the same to defend our own. In this day and age and the government being what it is and the way it seems to be heading on a fast track. We don't know what your intentions are.............such resume as yours is the likes we've never seen. I for one have never seen such a person with a Doctrine in Prepping. Just my opinion............by the way I was in the military for 22 yrs and I'm FUBAR and I'm having one of those mornings so deal with it.

Kodiak
09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you need a hug, BWRR. I nominate Izzy...:p

izzyscout21
09-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I am a hugger..............

prepguide
09-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Sound pretty nosey for somebody new, not being an ass. But you talk a pretty good line, why don't you settle in and let everyone get to know you and your "expertise" before you start asking such questions. We do have quiet a big happy family here that is close knit in some places, who'll bend over backwards at the drop of a hat to help anyone out. But we'll also do the same to defend our own. In this day and age and the government being what it is and the way it seems to be heading on a fast track. We don't know what your intentions are.............such resume as yours is the likes we've never seen. I for one have never seen such a person with a Doctrine in Prepping. Just my opinion............by the way I was in the military for 22 yrs and I'm FUBAR and I'm having one of those mornings so deal with it.

BWRR - If I gave offense with either my tone or the intent of my question I apologize to you and anyone else I may have offended. I asked the question from the perspective of raising the question to get people thinking about it. I was in no way trying to seek out information on respective members and/or their associates. I'm a bit of a Type A personality so sometimes that works against me as apparently it did in this case. I was not offended by your post, in fact it made me step back and re-examine MY post and I realize how mine could have been as hunting for info.

Again my apologies for any offense given. And from one former service member to another thank you for you service sir!

4suchatimeasthis
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Rat, I understand your concern. Let me just put this out on the table. I know Prepguide. As in, real-life-have-been-friends-for-years relationship. I also know others who know him and have known him for decades, we met through one of his former co-workers who worked with my then husband. Prep-guide is a real person, with real experience. That's why I told him about this site. That's why I asked him to consider joining, because he has a lot to contribute.

Now, how do you know me from a hole in the wall? Well, you don't. But Twitchy does. We have a "real-life" friendship as well, that we have invested in, many hours over several years. Hell, even Izzy knows me somewhat, he shared a meal with my husband and I when he was here in town once, and he helped me with some non-prepping related issues a while back.

I understand being skeptical of people, especially online where you have to assume huge majorities are simply full o' shit. I respect being suspicious even, it's better to be safe than sorry, and all that.

When Prepguide asks us all these questions, he isn't asking because he is being noesy, I think all he is hoping for is that people have an answer for THEMSELVES. He is giving us something to think about, kinda like the scenarios you run with "Revolution".

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Very well, I'll stand down, and Izzy can back off I don't hug hairy men much less shaved ones or Navy ones, just the ones that show up at our camp fires. Remember "What happens at Ant Camp, Stays at Ant Camp" I just finished doing a ballistic test with LadyHK13 who will be posting her long awaited results from her ".22 cal campfire discussion" I was just having concerns for our own is all. Sometimes I get that way, the internet is a dangerous weapon. As I can see he comes with friends.......and so I say Welcome aboard Prepguide. Sometimes I just get that way and I type out loud.

Evolver
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
The thing is that each one of us are responsible for our own replies to any question that are asked... no matter who is asking and it's really up to the individual on how much information they want to divulge to the whole wide web. For the most part I think that mostly everyone is savvy to that and if not... they should be.
I think that BR was just looking after the few that might not be as savvy.

izzyscout21
09-30-2012, 11:23 PM
I think that BR was just looking after the few that might not be as savvy.

This^^

izzyscout21
09-30-2012, 11:45 PM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/523801_498490390162032_91059646_n_zpsb40e81fc.jpg

Gunfixr
10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
^^^ Leave it to Izzy .................................. ^^^

Don't really have one.
I do have offers of places I can go, maybe 3 or 4. I have been to 2 or 3, but really know the way to only 2. While they say "come on", they themselves aren't really prepped, unless doing so in secret, so what we bring will be what we all have. Most aren't really any more defensible than where I am now.
A couple of them would drop everything to help, or so I believe.

4suchatimeasthis
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
We really don't know any official preppers here. I know of a few around the country, but only two of them would be very well prepared, and honestly, we are probably better off here than trying to get there.

That being said, my inlaws here would have a lot to contribute, if shtf. My FIL is a mechanical and nuclear engineer, and my MIL was a RN for 30+ yrs, and grew up flying her dad's plane. My BIL is a very successful general contractor, and my hubby was LEO/EMS/FF for many years. But none of them actively prep now, they all live in town, and maybe have a month's worth of food in the pantry. But, then again, my FIL is an active hunter and angler, and he reloads, and MIL is into gardening and canning....all the knowledge is there, and if we had to, I know we could and would pull together for the family.

The Stig
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm in a similar position as 4suchasme. We moved across the country to be closer to a network of family members.

How prepared are they? Depends on which cluster of the family you're asking about.

How many are "preppers"? Probably none.

That said have been working on establishing my network outside of the family since we got here. It doesn't help that I travel so much but bit by bit I'm getting there.

bacpacker
10-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Locally good neighbors and my parents close by. But none are preppers that I know of. My parents have good old knowledge and farmed for years. Some of my neighbors are hunters and just good people all around, but most likely no real supplies.

greg48
12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
i've no network, however i've a nice neighbor lady that is an RN surgical nurse at a hospital, she is part of my prepping plan, she doesn't know it yet. i'll keep building my medical/medicine supply and some day i'll break the news to her.

mitunnelrat
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
You might want to talk to her sooner rather than later, Greg.

Its like anything else. You can't count on what you don't have, and getting a group together can often be like herding cats. Difficult, to say the least.

msomnipotent
12-03-2012, 11:32 PM
That is what has occurred to me recently. I have several people in my extended family that would be beneficial (nurse, teacher, cop, etc) but it seems that they all have their own plan. I found out on Thanksgiving that one person assumed that I would just magically be involved in his idea of a group without asking me, and I have my own plans. I assumed he would be one of those people that would just show up at my door. Unless you have an agreement, you don't have a group.

prepguide
12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
"Unless you have an agreement, you don't have a group"

Great way to phrase that and one I totally agree with.

Echo2
12-04-2012, 12:44 AM
"Unless you have an agreement, you don't have a group"

Great way to phrase that and one I totally agree with.

Yup.....

Stormfeather
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Unless you have an agreement, you don't have a group.

Words to live by.

greg48
12-12-2012, 04:21 PM
i'm surrounded by amish tunnelrat, i think my best asset for barter will be my ability to provide security while they farm. my neighbor lady has been designated my chief medical officer, i will tell her some day. how do you start a sentence? "...oh by the way the world is gonna end and you are needed for my survival..."?

- - - Updated - - -

msomni- i've an idea when SHTF people will be looking for strong leaders. a person with leadership ability will be one of the most important assets.

prepguide
12-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Greg, a tactic I've used in the past is to start out with a general conversation then steer it into severe weather. Bring up the last time the power was off and how many people it affected to see what the neighbor has to say about it. Likely as not one conversation is not enough to solidify them as a part of a group but if they are at least of like mind it is a place to start.

Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Hope that helps somewhat

Stormfeather
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I think my network is pretty solid. Regionally, we have . . .

1- PHD Doctor type
1- RN
2- farmers
2- Mechanics/ mechanical fanatics
5- Domestic Engineers
1- Black Thumb (HH-6) she can kill any plant!

All of the males and one of the females have verified combat experience with multiple tours. So they know force protection, patrolling, perimeter security on top of their extra skill identifiers. All are preppers of various levels, and allof us have sat down and committed to a plan. If all else fails. . . we convoy to Izzy's and barter for shelter with his MAG.

The mag I was involved in out west was a lot more established, we had access to air assets, full time HAM Operator setups, (Our commo setup covered the entire state, plus about 150 miles east of Cali along the entire east border of the state) multiple BOL's, warehousing for supplies. I sure miss those guys!

izzyscout21
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM
1- Black Thumb (HH-6) she can kill any plant!

She's get along well with my......never mind

If all else fails. . . we convoy to Izzy's and barter for shelter with his MAG.

LOL. Welcome to Tennessee.

2die4
12-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Hmm maybe we should start off with something easy. What's everyone's favorite color?:p

-----------------
Don't really have a personal network. Being concern with opsec I am reaching out locally but with caution until I can gain people's trust.

bacpacker
12-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Stormy, Sounds like you have a good group workin where you are. Maybe not the same but some big time pluses.

Stormfeather
12-13-2012, 04:08 AM
yea, have a great bunch of folks here. Two of which came from the Cali MAG with me, so it kind of helps, but still, would have loved to have brought all those Cali folks with me, would make me feel a hell of a lot more secure! They were not your average birkenstock hippie types!

greg48
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
my favorite color is infantry blue-hhoorraahhh!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Actually I have three......RED...WHITE...BLUE...... I think we can all vote for that. "HOO-YAAHH!" But you're still OK in my book Brother. IN case I didn't say it before, welcome aboard!

eagle326
12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
In my case i have 2 sons and two daughters . One son is 3 1/2 hrs. away by Dayton. Next son is 30 to 45 minutes away and same for one daughter. The other still lives at home . They know the game plan.
As for my neighbors they're mostly farmers and are armed ; the rest think like me but no one hints at working as a group when the flag goes up. Most say I'm ready.

So I've backed off talking about it for I see no point in pushing the issue. Maybe they think of me as the ( new guy ) still after 4 years. Maybe they don't trust me enough yet I don't know and don't worry about it. I'm basically the only guy with military service and many years removed from it as it were. With this lack of communication I watch and study their actions without being obvious.
I believe we'll all come together when it hits but for me without any pre - planning we're just a bunch of yokels trying to get by.

As I've told my family ; Even with my military background we need younger military guys to update everyone to tactics. I told them even I would start back in as if I were at boot camp again because of all the new knowledge and techniques.
So in essence we'll try here but if it looks bad then we'll have to find a new A.O. My Nam brother in rural southern Maryland has 40 acres we've been re- working over the phone and one F.T.F. meeting and we're welcome there. 8 hour drive in good times so I don't know travel time if things go bad. Could be a day ; could be a week.

So if I had to rate myself ; I would say we're on the very low end of it. Would love to forge some kind of agreement but everyone seems act in a single manner. And the time is getting very short and I have better and more important things to take care of at the moment.

greg48
12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
one thing people will be looking for eagle326 and riverrat 13 is strong sound leaders and solid decissions in all the chaos, combat has given some that ability...

Echo2
12-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Biggest thing about having a group....is having enough food to support all involved.

bacpacker
12-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Echo, I second the need for food for any group. Both ready food for the short term, and means for long term as well. IMO that will be the biggest challenge to any size group for an extended event.

Echo2
12-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Yup....beans, bullets, and band-aids....There is a reason for that order.

Stormfeather
12-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Ya know. . .its been tossed around. . .its been hinted at. . .and nobody has came right out and said it. . .

Why is that?

Why have we not came up with a game plan, if shit REALLY hits the fan. . . of putting together regional MAGS amongst all of us here? We already have a SHTF call tree. Why arent we exploring the option of taking it one step further? Its makes sense. . . im a prepper. . . youre a prepper. . . shtf. . . . lets get together and be preppers together? Am I just talking out my ass here?

ladyhk13
12-14-2012, 02:12 AM
We recently met 2 couple (who do not know each other yet) that live very close to us. One has joined here already. All this time and we didn't know they were right here. How awesome is that? They are all very busy people but it's nice to know they are here and we can plan a get together after the holidays are over and maybe things settle down a little. It will be good for all of us to share info and ideas.

spirit
12-14-2012, 02:17 AM
my one neighbor is a drug addict and the other is an idiot, so no help there...my son lives down the road. He is not a "prepper" that I know of, but he is military, as I was, so I'm pretty sure he has some supplies laid in. Other than that it's just me.

Echo2
12-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Ya know. . .its been tossed around. . .its been hinted at. . .and nobody has came right out and said it. . .

Why is that?

Why have we not came up with a game plan, if shit REALLY hits the fan. . . of putting together regional MAGS amongst all of us here? We already have a SHTF call tree. Why arent we exploring the option of taking it one step further? Its makes sense. . . im a prepper. . . youre a prepper. . . shtf. . . . lets get together and be preppers together? Am I just talking out my ass here?

Don't know if that would work.....however....if it has went to crap and you are traveling to get home....it wouldn't be a bad idea to have rally points set up in your area that someone could mark with a sign....and assistance would be given.

Things such as a meal.....a safe place to rest....medical attention...whatever.

Might be a valid....would be a perk if you got caught out and about when the SHTF.

ladyhk13
12-14-2012, 02:33 AM
my one neighbor is a drug addict and the other is an idiot, so no help there...my son lives down the road. He is not a "prepper" that I know of, but he is military, as I was, so I'm pretty sure he has some supplies laid in. Other than that it's just me.

That really stinks. I would think about a new location for starters.

ladyhk13
12-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Don't know if that would work.....however....if it has went to crap and you are traveling to get home....it wouldn't be a bad idea to have rally points set up in your area that someone could mark with a sign....and assistance would be given.

Things such as a meal.....a safe place to rest....medical attention...whatever.

Might be a valid....would be a perk if you got caught out and about when the SHTF.

The problem with discussing this on an open forum such as here is that every tom, dick and harry will be able to see exactly what you plan and what your "signs" are. Some of us have already discussed this and have a plan (if you want to call it that) but you should find the people in your area, state or group of states and come up with a gameplan and pm each other with what you want to do. This way if there are any trolls on the site your plan will be safe now and in the future.

Echo2
12-14-2012, 03:03 AM
I'm not talking about making it public....it could be done covertly.

greg48
12-14-2012, 10:28 AM
i'm in a pretty rural area, alot of farmers, alot of amish. when SHTF i'm postive they'll work together to survive. it's the few worthless pos's thru out the neighborhood that'll be a problem. i believe my strongest asset to the community will be an ability to help provide security for those farmers.

prepguide
12-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Setting up regional MAG's can be done, I've help do it twice in two different areas of the country. It takes time and no small amount of effort but it absolutely can be done. The key is having a strong regional commitment to the idea. Once that happens you determine who the spokesman/leader/contact is for that group and that person reaches out to his/her counterparts in the other regions.

It is beneficial for those in the individual MAG's to determine what skills and resources each has available (I have paperwork that helps with that) and that information is available to the leader so that he/she can quickly identify existing areas of strength and area that the MAG needs strengthened in regards to skills and resources. That is something that the local group I am with has done recently (this group has only been meeting for 16 months but recently established written Bylaws, did a skill matrix worksheet and is holding regular meeting and training sessions) and that information is kept by the Group secretary and group leader.

There are a number of advantages to being in a MAG: manpower, shared resources, buying power, access to other skill sets and experience as well as the psychological aspect of knowing that you are not alone. I know for me it is difficult at times because soooo many in our society are the "oh somebody come save me, somebody come do for me" type and it sickens me. Knowing that I have those around me that have my back just as I have theirs is a big plus.

Someone mentioned above the issue of having everybody and anybody being able to read what is going on. Maybe it would be possible to have a MAG forum that is private, I don't know if that is feasible but just throwing that out there.

With the way the world is having a stronger MAG network IMO is a smart idea and worth the time and energy. I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can.

spirit
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
The problem with discussing this on an open forum such as here is that every tom, dick and harry will be able to see exactly what you plan and what your "signs" are. Some of us have already discussed this and have a plan (if you want to call it that) but you should find the people in your area, state or group of states and come up with a gameplan and pm each other with what you want to do. This way if there are any trolls on the site your plan will be safe now and in the future.

I'm sure most of you know about American Preppers...they have the site broken down to state level and some states are broken down to local level. A good place to meet others in your area who share our ideals

- - - Updated - - -

That really stinks. I would think about a new location for starters.

That requires money and I work for the county as a "public servant". So I have no money.

prepguide
12-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I forgot to mention above and I was remiss for that is I am willing to share that paperwork I mentioned regarding MAG's with anyone who would like a copy. Its all paper work that I created for the sole purpose of setting up MAG's and helping them go. If you would like a copy just PM me a valid email address and it will be on its way.

Sorry for not throwing this offer out earlier as I should have done. Stay safe

Stormfeather
12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I forgot to mention above and I was remiss for that is I am willing to share that paperwork I mentioned regarding MAG's with anyone who would like a copy. Its all paper work that I created for the sole purpose of setting up MAG's and helping them go. If you would like a copy just PM me a valid email address and it will be on its way.

Sorry for not throwing this offer out earlier as I should have done. Stay safe

Would love a copy!

Strmfeathr@yahoo

eagle326
12-21-2012, 11:38 PM
P.M sent prepguide.

Thanks a lot.

Eagle

prepguide
12-22-2012, 12:00 AM
emails sent, happy to help. The paperwork has been used several times with success so hey why not share. Keep someone else from having to re-invent the wheel so to speak

Katrina
12-29-2012, 05:08 AM
As I've said before I'm pretty much on my own. the dh still thinks I'm nutty but hasn't stood in my way, so far
I'm hoping he is slowly coming around (a turtle is faster though lol). He did say last month we're expanding the garden this year and he did make me the long term storage pantry this year. So we'll see. As for family, one DIL (son 2 wife) has been stocking up, she told me they have 6 months stored and is adding to their stores regularly but with the new baby coming, she won't be as active. YES We're gonna be grandparents again!! They announced Christmas that Grandson # 2 is going to be a big brother.

Sniper-T
12-29-2012, 05:28 AM
hold your ground Kat.... you're on the right track! They'll come around!