PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Preps!

4suchatimeasthis
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I thought it would be fun to have a thread of the cheap little things we can all afford, even if we are really at a tight spot financially. And, I happen to believe that it's the little things in life that often make the difference. So, what are some cheap preps (like, less than $5) that will be worth their weight in gold, come shtf?

Nail clippers
Tweezers
Chap stick
Triple Antibiotic ointment
Can opener (everyone should have several of these, for barter and back up)
Salt (bulk and the little salt and pepper sets, another cheap trade and something you can't have too much of)
Flint and Steel (I have a key chain set, they are tiny, but they work!)
Cigarette lighters
Matches
Box of unscented tampons and/or pads - for first aid
Tylenol
Aspirin
Ora-gel or Ambesol, tooth number
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Sunscreen
Handkerchiefs or bandanas (tons of uses)
Ball cap (keep the sun out of your eyes)
Sun glasses (especially in winter if you get a lot of snow)

What else? Remember, prepping doesn't have to be gawd awful expensive, there are lots of things that you can get generic, Dollar store or Walmart brands, and they will work just fine for shtf.

Gunfixr
10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Just bought 100 "tea light" candles, in 2 50 packs, for about $2.50 per pack. According to the label, they burn approx. 4hrs. each.
Small glass holders were $.50 each, we got 5.
Will probably get more later.
A package of 10 bars of Ivory soap ("it floats!!") for about $5. Of course you can bathe with it, you can also use it for clothes with a washboard.
All at Chinamart.
We have one of those (washboard) on the way as well. A real one, made right here in the U S A. No, not at Chinamart.

We already have some of these 10 packs of soap, but extras and the candles, will make good barter items.

4suchatimeasthis
10-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Candles and soap, very good!

Taz Baby
10-01-2012, 11:16 PM
washrags, peroxide, band aids, hair brush, nail polish( fixes pin holes in tire tubes, Kills chiggers too.) toothpicks, metal silverware, collapsible travel cups, key chain flashlight,

ladyhk13
10-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I buy canning lids at every chance I get. Where ever I am I look for them and grab em by the case but you can get them by the box for only a couple of bucks. Since you can only use the lid once you can never have enough of them, then I save my used ones for leftovers or anything else I can store in jars that I'm not canning.

prepguide
10-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Some really great suggestions so far. I would also add shoelaces to that. I totally agree with the tea lights also. Thanks everyone for the terrific list!

4suchatimeasthis
10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Shoe laces!!! Never thought of that....hhmm...baler twine would work in a pinch, but most people won't have access to that. Shoe laces...genius! Must add to list...

prepguide
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
550 cord will suffice for shoelaces also. Have about a mile of the stuff here LOL.

bacpacker
10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Baler twine is no longer cheap. However it has many uses. I need to pick up a couple of bundles. That shouls a good long while considering I dont have a baler.

4suchatimeasthis
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
^^^ Good point, Backpacker, I was thinking it was free, but damn, the hay bales are expensive!

bacpacker
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
I remember my grandpa raising hell when it hit $8 a bundle back when it was still hemp twine.

Evolver
10-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Water purification tab
P-51 GI can opener (Can openers have been mentioned but this is one in specific).
Whistle
Belt Cutter (seatbelt type)
Emergency car window breaking tool
Light sticks
Fire starter
Emergency food bars (Datrex,Mainstay type)
Signal mirror
magnifying glass
Needles, safety pins
Duct tape
Med tape
Cotton balls
Q-tips
Ibuprofen

Evolver
10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Krazy Glue
Saved Popsicle sticks
Small can of Deet Insect spray
Antiseptic wipes
Hydration tablets

Evolver
10-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Small squeeze bottle for wound Irrigation
Saline solution

All item above can each be purchased for $10.00 and under.

Evolver
10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
GSI Glacier Stainless Steel Bottle Cup or Large Steel Sierra Cup For Heating water on small fires or pocket stoves.

http://beprepared.com/images/500/CK-C410.jpg

http://beprepared.com/images/500/CK-C200.jpg

Folding Pocket stove and fuel tabs.

http://beprepared.com/images/250/CK-S095.jpg

Evolver
10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
key chain Pepper spray
Hand, food and body warmers. (Chem type)
Space blanket
5 Gallon Water Container - Collapsible Container
Knife sharpener
Water bottle
Compass
Potassium Iodide - (Single Pak)
Portable toilet seat (for 5 or 6 gal bucket)
Bucket Liners? (for toilet)

LOL still thinking :p

bacpacker
10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
You folks have come up with some killer list. Everything I was thinking about has been mentioned on someones list.

Evolver
10-02-2012, 11:32 PM
:o Sry for taking the ball and running... and running and... running. :o

I just was on a roll. :) Dang I'm still thinking... Dang you 4suchastimeS as THIS! lol I won't be able to turn my brain off tonight. I'll be thinking of things that you can buy for under $10.00 each to add to the list that was missed.

Evolver
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Small tie wire. (for snares or many other things)
Pliers with wire cutter
7 in 1 screw driver
zip ties
Tire Flat repair (slime)
Seeds (:o I can't believe this is so far down on my list)

OK thats IT!!! For now

4suchatimeasthis
10-03-2012, 01:33 AM
^^^ Keep runnin' Evolver, lol, "run Forrest, run!"

ladyhk13
10-03-2012, 02:16 AM
key chain Pepper spray
Hand, food and body warmers. (Chem type)
Space blanket
5 Gallon Water Container - Collapsible Container
Knife sharpener
Water bottle
Compass
Potassium Iodide - (Single Pak)
Portable toilet seat (for 5 or 6 gal bucket)
Bucket Liners? (for toilet)

LOL still thinking :p

I was just getting ready to post and thought I should read the latest ones first and darn, you have almost the exact same list I was going to post! They say that great minds think alike! :)

Katrina
10-03-2012, 03:40 AM
One thing I don't think I saw on any list is dental floss. If you have the waxed kind It makes a great heavy duty sewing thread.Packages of needles, safety pins and Diaper pins, if you can find them.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I don't think I saw on any list is dental floss. If you have the waxed kind It makes a great heavy duty sewing thread.Packages of needles, safety pins and the old fashioned Diaper pins, if you can find them.

ladyhk13
10-03-2012, 03:40 AM
One thing I don't think I saw on any list is dental floss. If you have the waxed kind It makes a great heavy duty sewing thread.Packages of needles, safety pins and Diaper pins, if you can find them.

If you can't find diaper pins get quilting pins, they are actually pretty nice since they have a great curve to them.

Katrina
10-03-2012, 03:44 AM
a couple of things came to mind
Dental floss
Safety pins
Needles
AND IF you can find them, old fashioned diaper pins
I have two left from the baby days and they work great when you need something bigger than a safety pin to hold something together.

ladyhk13
10-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Wooden clothes pins and a clothesline quality rope to tie between trees.

4suchatimeasthis
10-03-2012, 04:28 AM
^^^ Oh, a good way to store them is to pre-pin the pins on the line, then roll it up, like a wreath. That's how I've always stored them in moves, anyway.

Taz Baby
10-03-2012, 06:07 PM
under garments, socks, razors, nail clippers, fanny pack, eye glasses of all strengths. We have about 50 pairs

Evolver
10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
One good use for dental floss or thread is for tick removal.

Start out with a piece of thread or floss 8'' to 12'' long, tie a loose knot, slip it over the tick and slowly tighten it while you work it as close the skin a possible. Apply a little tension and hold until the tick backs out. Sometimes it takes up to a full minute but it will pull out on it's own.

ladyhk13
10-04-2012, 03:05 AM
I bought a "tick" remover at Gander Mountain not long ago. It's a small thin metal thing that you press on your skin and slide across to a thin end (looks sort of like a key hole) and it removes the tick. Can do it with one hand and it's very easy to store. Cost about $5. so it's the best investment I've made in a long time!!

msomnipotent
10-04-2012, 03:15 AM
No one said fish hooks yet? Or Vaseline?

I second Chapstick. I would shave my eyebrows for mint Chapstick on a normal day, and that is just because I'm too lazy to go upstairs to my Chapstick stash.

Sniper-T
10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
...I would shave my eyebrows for mint Chapstick...

BWAHAHAHAHAhahaha

got pics?

Evolver
10-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I bought a "tick" remover at Gander Mountain not long ago. It's a small thin metal thing that you press on your skin and slide across to a thin end (looks sort of like a key hole) and it removes the tick. Can do it with one hand and it's very easy to store. Cost about $5. so it's the best investment I've made in a long time!!

Those are nice and you right about being able to remove a tick one handed. If I ever had to remove a tick on my own with thread thats on my right arm (being right handed) it would defiantly be a challenge. :) But hey if you have a tick and only thread you now have an alternative method :)

Sniper-T
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
alternate tick removal... just wipe something nasty on its ass. bug spray, gas, vinegar, cooking oil, vaseline, chapstick, almost anything really, but the nastier the better. ticks breathe through their ass, as their head is buried. if they can't breathe, they back out on their own.

generally, with a shot of bugspray, it'll back out within seconds.

4suchatimeasthis
10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
^^^yup, I was always told to use Vaseline or baby oil gel....works like a charm!

Gunfixr
10-05-2012, 02:53 AM
My wife bought me one of those tick removers, seems I get them in the most interesting spots.

I promptly lost it, never even got to use it, it's still on the package card.

I guess I'll have to buy another one to find the first one.

ladyhk13
10-05-2012, 06:44 AM
No one said fish hooks yet? .

Fish hooks...that is awesome! Those of us who are not regular fishermen wouldn't even think about that, but I would have line to use for other odd jobs. So I would have a line without a hook!

Actually I have poles and stuff but no idea about the number or kinds of hooks...guess I'm going to go have a look now.

msomnipotent
10-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Not anything recent, but my mother probably has one from when I shaved my eyebrows and cut off all my eyelashes when I was 4 years old. I was one of those kids that needed to be watched constantly, and you just can't do that when you have 4 kids.

BWAHAHAHAHAhahaha

got pics?

Taz Baby
10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
If you buy Tic Tac's keep the containers for spices. Tic Tac's are cheap

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/430002_426824767377717_608503393_n.jpg

Willie51
10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
alternate tick removal... just wipe something nasty on its ass. bug spray, gas, vinegar, cooking oil, vaseline, chapstick, almost anything really, but the nastier the better. ticks breathe through their ass, as their head is buried. if they can't breathe, they back out on their own.

generally, with a shot of bugspray, it'll back out within seconds.

We used to use kerosene, gas, turpentine, etc eventhough we didn't know better back then. Turpentine is okay. Also, used to light a match and then blow it out and immediately touch it on the tick...he backs out. Also, heated a needle and touch them and they usually back out.

Stormfeather
10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Shoe laces!!! Never thought of that....hhmm...baler twine would work in a pinch, but most people won't have access to that. Shoe laces...genius! Must add to list...

Shoe laces are a great idea, but why not just buy a 1000 foot shank of 550 cord? Almost every soldier I know can attest to using 550cord as a shoelace at one point in their career!

4suchatimeasthis
10-05-2012, 08:47 PM
^^^Lol, we think like our "training", a farm girl needs string and thinks "ah ha, bailing twine!" and a soldier needs string and thinks "ah ha, 550 cord"....victims of our environments ;)

prepguide
10-09-2012, 12:13 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/430002_426824767377717_608503393_n.jpg

GREAT idea. I will be using that one for sure. Also could use that same container for matches and small sewing kit. Will be adding those to my gear soon. My thanks!

Stormfeather
10-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Taz, Im not going to lie when I say, Im stealing this idea for my bugout bag! I dont know why I didnt think of this, so simple and easy, and I go thru a ton of tic tacs a week since im trying to stop smoking!

apssbc
10-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Awesome list so far everyone. I love the TicTac idea, I usually just throw them out...btw TicTacs are kinda my crack. Also when it comes to 550 cord. I have a 1000 feet or so and all my bootlaces have been replaced with it. I also keep lengths of it just about everywhere.

My contrubution to the list since I havent seen it on here yet. I carry different sized tinfoil with my pocket stoves and canteen cups. I use it for creating wind breaks for the stoves, and fires. Also it can be used to cover you cooking cup/pot/pan/ect to keep the gunk from fires out of your meal or drink. In a pinch it makes a nice hat too ;).

Evolver
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Disposable Razor Sharpener... for free... and I stand behind this! Cut a 4''x5'' or so piece out of old pair of denim jeans and when your disposable razor needs replacing just run it in the opposite direction on the wet denim (held against the shower wall or flat surface) ten strokes and presto... sharp as new! Eventually the razors get to a point that they won't sharpen any longer due to the way the blades are set but we've be doing this for over two years now and can get at least eight months out of one blade. :)

Grumpy Old Man
11-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Good lists everyone! I'll add some stuff from the Grumpmeister archives.

Gloving needles
Artificial sinew
Sterno
3 Pack of boxes of strike anywhere matches
clear nail polish (to waterproof the matches)
small spools of sisal twine (about $2 at Ace)
Votarie candles (in the mexican food section at my grocery)
eyeglass repair kits
match books

Fish hooks can get pricey depending on what your buying. I use Owner brand saltwater hooks and they aren't cheap, believe me. But, after 55 years of fishing, I have more hooks in different sizes than you can shake a stick at. If you're buying hooks, buy bulk they're cheaper.

Evolver
11-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Good lists everyone! I'll add some stuff from the Grumpmeister archives.

Gloving needles
Artificial sinew
Sterno
3 Pack of boxes of strike anywhere matches
clear nail polish (to waterproof the matches)
small spools of sisal twine (about $2 at Ace)
Votarie candles (in the mexican food section at my grocery)
eyeglass repair kits
match books

Fish hooks can get pricey depending on what your buying. I use Owner brand saltwater hooks and they aren't cheap, believe me. But, after 55 years of fishing, I have more hooks in different sizes than you can shake a stick at. If you're buying hooks, buy bulk they're cheaper.

Nice add you curmudgeon you! :p

Katrina
11-15-2012, 03:52 AM
Thought of something else Don't think it's been added yet
But travel sizes of shave cream, soap, shampoo, toothpastes etc. Our local grocery, every couple of months or so, does a buy 1 get one free and most of them are no more than dollar, dollar and quarter apiece here and there are at least 3oz of product in each of them. Put them in a tote to store.

Stormfeather
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Disposable Razor Sharpener... for free... and I stand behind this! Cut a 4''x5'' or so piece out of old pair of denim jeans and when your disposable razor needs replacing just run it in the opposite direction on the wet denim (held against the shower wall or flat surface) ten strokes and presto... sharp as new! Eventually the razors get to a point that they won't sharpen any longer due to the way the blades are set but we've be doing this for over two years now and can get at least eight months out of one blade. :)

I think you posted this last year, and Ive been doing it ever since! Works like a charm!

Evolver
11-15-2012, 09:29 PM
I think you posted this last year, and Ive been doing it ever since! Works like a charm!

Yeah I repost it up every now and then for the new folks. :)

Fatty
11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Zip ties :).

With how they come in all sorts of sizes these days, always worth having a variety pack in the garage...

evolver got this one earlier, i missed it, Doh!

GunnerMax
11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Ruptured case extractor.

Domeguy
11-18-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't think it was mentioned yet. Small primers for my bullet reloading, and if you don't reload, they can be great for bartering

AlphaTea
11-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Slickguns.com is going to make me broke.
More ammo. 22lr counts as ammo right?
Hmmm, need to acquire more bacon too

piranha2
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Bacon and .22 bullets -- hell yeh.

greg48
11-29-2012, 10:49 AM
may want to use 550 cord inplace of shoe laces. add some extra length, 550 para cord has thousands of uses, stripped down the fine line can be used for fishing line etc...use 550 cord to build shelter, make handcuffs, then list goes on and in a pinch 550 cord can be used for rappelling...

- - - Updated - - -

a well placed 22rd beats a 44mag round that misses it's mark...