PDA

View Full Version : Hunting cats

izzyscout21
10-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Maybe I'm just getting out of practice............

Does anyone else realize how difficult it is to hit a running cat at about 50 yards with a 22 pistol..........

Not that easy...........

helomech
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Probably pretty hard, but not with a 308 is isn't that hard.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/hunting/IMG_1772.jpg

izzyscout21
10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah, well..........it's what I had handy.

helomech
10-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Yeah, well..........it's what I had handy.

At least you had something handy. Are you sure you missed? Might have hit one, they don't always react especially with a 22.

izzyscout21
10-02-2012, 10:57 PM
I only fired one round. It's all I had time to get off before he jumped into the hedge.

I very well could have hit him.

I guess I'll know if he doesn't come back to maul my cat and take his food.

My cat needs to get some stones..........
well.......

he is still a kitten. I guess I'll cut him some slack.

Twitchy
10-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I only fired one round. It's all I had time to get off before he jumped into the hedge.

I very well could have hit him.

I guess I'll know if he doesn't come back to maul my cat and take his food.

My cat needs to get some stones..........
well.......

he is still a kitten. I guess I'll cut him some slack.

well, Id just go hit up the local Chinese restaurant... They might be able to fix your problem for you, and pay you as well!

Hopefully the little shit doesn't come back again...

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Speaking of Chinese restraunt, did you hear about the one that was shut down in Nashville yesterday by the health department by tip/phone call for serving road kill. Yes, no joke was observed dragging a deer through the back door, when questioned said they found it on the the road, no shit! Check it out. Heard it this mornin on the radio............think it was called the royal dragon or red dragon.

Twitchy
10-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Speaking of Chinese restraunt, did you hear about the one that was shut down in Nashville yesterday by the health department by tip/phone call for serving road kill. Yes, no joke was observed dragging a deer through the back door, when questioned said they found it on the the road, no shit! Check it out. Heard it this mornin on the radio............think it was called the royal dragon or red dragon.

didn't know chinese restaurants served venison...

Sniper-T
10-03-2012, 02:14 AM
aim for the nose, and squeeze gently. sounds like you got excited and rushed the shot.

deep breath, aim small, miss small.

A cat on the run will often jump once when hit, and continue to run. when it finds a 'safe' spot, it'll lay down and die. Often just out of sight from where you shot it.

Always go and have a look around, because they do tend to start smelling quite quickly.

ladyhk13
10-03-2012, 03:21 AM
I didn't know they served venison either! I don't eat it so I'm sure if I tasted it I would know what it was...ok, I eat the same thing no matter where I go and it's always chicken stuff so you can't fake deer for chicken. How gross!

mitunnelrat
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I read they supposedly weren't going to serve the venison, it was only getting processed there to be eaten at home

Too bad on missing the intruder, stalkercat. I have to ask though, isn't that "friendly" fire?

izzyscout21
10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Too bad on missing the intruder, stalkercat. I have to ask though, isn't that "friendly" fire?

Not unless I sniff his ass first............

Sniper-T
10-03-2012, 05:26 PM
you mean you didn't???

How rude!

msomnipotent
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Awww. Poor little tastes like chicken kitty.

I know a Chinese place that was momentarily closed for serving cat and dog. But they said they only served it to people that asked for it. Asked for it, or "asking" for it is what I want to know.

Sniper-T
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
The ones that were "asking" for it got rat and seagull

Gunfixr
10-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Well, I don't know how hard they are to hit with a .22 pistol, but they are hard to hit with a suppressed air rifle on the move.

Actually, before I had met my wife, she had a friend from school whose parents had a Chinese restaurant. She went in there one time and her friend was eating some unknown meat, which she asked for some. He said he couldn't give her any. Turns out it was cat, legally they could eat it, but not serve it. She did manage to con him out of some. Told me it was quite good.
Wish I'd known when we were first dating, might have gotten me some.
Oh, well ..............................

Sniper-T
10-04-2012, 09:44 AM
mighta gotten you some pus... Oh, never mind! That one is too easy!

lol

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Well you guys have really tore into this one haven't ya? You should try going over to the Orient and just order "what he's havin" Izzy, you just need more practice, recommendation.........flushing birds and try hitting them with a .22 you'll do better. as far as hittin cats, try hittin rabbits on the run, squirrels, dogs chasin squirrels. But maybe your pistol sucks. Could be you suck could be a combination of all of these things. Or maybe the cat stole your body armor.:cool:

helomech
10-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Me and my 13 year old son practice our shooting at dragon flies, flying around my pond. Yes it is safe. I have shot a few of them out of the air.

Gunfixr
10-05-2012, 02:43 AM
If my wife found me shooting dragon flies, she'd shoot me.

We need 'em around here anyway, something's gotta keep the mosquitoes at bay.

helomech
10-05-2012, 02:45 AM
If my wife found me shooting dragon flies, she'd shoot me.

We need 'em around here anyway, something's gotta keep the mosquitoes at bay.

LOL, we have millions of them around here, and we don't have barely any mosquitoes.

izzyscout21
10-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Well you guys have really tore into this one haven't ya? You should try going over to the Orient and just order "what he's havin" Izzy, you just need more practice, recommendation.........flushing birds and try hitting them with a .22 you'll do better. as far as hittin cats, try hittin rabbits on the run, squirrels, dogs chasin squirrels. But maybe your pistol sucks. Could be you suck could be a combination of all of these things. Or maybe the cat stole your body armor.:cool:

Turns out I did hit him.

Found him about 20 yards away in the thicket.

Had one round through his neck.

Maybe I still have it................:rolleyes:

Sniper-T
10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
...A cat on the run will often jump once when hit, and continue to run. when it finds a 'safe' spot, it'll lay down and die. Often just out of sight from where you shot it.

Always go and have a look around...

Who's the smart guy that said that^

Nice Shot Izzy!

The best practice for shooting cats... is shooting more cats! Leave some open tins of tuna or sardines around near where you want your target to be. They'll find it.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Atta boy! You just need to be livin up to your name "Stalkercat" and go look! What's the word? Follow up! I thought the Rangers trained you better? If you killed "something" you'd better make sure it's dead, like that donkey for instance, it could have got back up and walked right into camp and self destructed killing a bunch more........ uh...you get the picture.:rolleyes:

msomnipotent
10-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Things must be different where I live. I would still be in jail if I shot a cat. Mainly because I would be shooting someone's pet, but we also have to have a permit to trap animals. And I found out from a neighbor that it is illegal to shoot any guns in a residential area. One of our neighbors called the po-po when they saw him try to shoot a rabbit with a bb gun.

helomech
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
We can shoot any stray or feral animal, dog, cat, does not matter. All we have to say is that it was attacking our livestock. Case closed.

Sniper-T
10-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Being rural, we are inundated with cats. Anyone who doesn't want their cat anymore goes for a drive in the country and dumps it. anyone who has a litter that they cannot get rid of, takes it out to the country and dumps it, and our "illustrious" Humane society, rather than Euthenize when they have too many, take them out in the country and dump 100's at a time.

I cannot drive to work without seeing at least a couple smashed on the road. and I kill at least a couple a week. In someplaces you cannot throw lead downrange without hitting a cat.

msomnipotent
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Geez. We have one idiot that lets his cat out all the time. I can't imagine having that many out and about.

I'm not even joking when I say that people march and protest when the county kills a coyote. They are all over here and have killed pets. I saw a huge one (I thought it was a wolf, but they are not in the area) saunter right down my sidewalk last summer. It is only a matter of time before a kid gets attacked because they got too close to one. People make the local news when they beat their dog here. I think killing a cat would drive people into a frenzy.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-06-2012, 02:08 AM
This threads headed down a dusty road. Coyotes are rampant around here especially during birthing season with the cows. Man they go crazy! Howlin all My neighbor shoots them every time he seems them and at his age they'll eat his ass for sure, they almost attacked him (according to him) night long, But If I see one it'll have to be put down. Not sure of the out come if they were to tangle with our dogs but my guess is they (coyotes) would win. So I would say, shoot'em. Now for the new property, shoot'em! Can't have that goin on. Ok I'm done here, movin on................

mitunnelrat
10-06-2012, 06:15 AM
My best friend thinks he could take 'em, but... he only weighs 6 pounds, so I'm with you on that one. I look and listen outside every night before I go out with him. When it comes to the food chain, he's more or less on the bottom.

Kodiak
10-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Better be on the look out for birds of prey MTR, they will snatch your dog in a second.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
My best friend thinks he could take 'em, but... he only weighs 6 pounds, so I'm with you on that one. I look and listen outside every night before I go out with him. When it comes to the food chain, he's more or less on the bottom.

Coyotes?

mitunnelrat
10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Better be on the look out for birds of prey MTR, they will snatch your dog in a second.
We do. Any hawks in the air and he goes or stays inside. Owls scare me though, can't see or always hear those at night.

Coyotes?
Yes. And cats, coons, possums... Basically anything more than a rabbit!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Maybe you should get your dog some weights and some body amor. leave a hole so he can do his business and you'll have nothing to worry about, Eh?

mitunnelrat
10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Lol! He already has a union suit. Maybe I could sew in some kevlar and plates!

Of course if 200+ pounds of "battle buddy" covering him isn't enough...

Sniper-T
10-09-2012, 12:06 PM
The yotes around here have been taking a lot bigger dogs than that for a long time now. One yote, will hang around a farmyard, making noise and bothering the dog. The dog goes after it, and it slinks back into the shadows. The dog follows and is ambushed by a pack of yotes. A coworker just lost her Shephard like this last week.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Shoot it, they get more brave all the time, then it's young children and small adults. It's just nature, take the meal from the weak.............how's the snow there my Royal Canadian Yaksman?

Sniper-T
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
about 1/2 of the 10+ inches from last week melted over the weekend, but then we had another 3" fall last night. I'd love to have a couple weeks of decent weather yet, I still have a pile of yardwork to do