PDA

View Full Version : USGI shelter half pup tent

mitunnelrat
10-03-2012, 11:47 PM
I almost hate myself for this. lol. I've used these, I've carried these. I know there's way better options....

And yet I'm still thinking about one for winter use. Mostly because they're crazy cheap for a completely enclosed canvas shelter and I really, really like to be warm. My winter BO drills have shown my what a pain in the ass this can be with a tarp and an open fire, and a floor-less tent with a stove has long struck me as the best way to go. The heat is contained, more efficient, and it'd be way easier to dry gear at the same time. Cooking would also be a simpler prospect I think. I'd love to get a kifaru paratipi, but that and a stove aren't in the budget for this year. The stove and this shelter would be roughly 1/5 the cost, and I could buy just the paratipi in the future after higher priorities are met. This is also half the cost of a 4 season tent, and will be warmer.

The downside with this is weight. Its significantly heavier than most other options out there. Considering the distance of one of my BO options this isn't good, but the ability to fully dry off/ warm up seems like a worthwhile trade-off to me, especially considering the shelter design allows me to offload half the weight to a buddy if I don't have to travel alone.

Anyway, I figured I'd open this up to group think and discussion before I make a final decision.

rice paddy daddy
10-04-2012, 02:16 AM
I haven't slept in one for 44 years, it's been a long time, but i don't have very fond memories.
You are a tougher man than I am.

mitunnelrat
10-04-2012, 02:25 AM
lol. I don't know that I am. I wouldn't do it without a stove, and now I'm leaning away from it even with one. I just got done reading they double in weight when wet. 22 pounds of sodden canvas is too much. I am, however, convinced a floorless design with a stove is the way to go in winter here. The hunt is now on for a more economical option than the kifaru.

Gunfixr
10-04-2012, 03:51 AM
If you're talking the standard 2-man tent, leaves me out. I'm too tall. Head past one pole, feet past the other. If I move, it's coming down.

You could make your own tipi. Get a piece of canvas and cut it out, always use pole acquired onsite. Just a one-piece wraparound design.
A bushcrafter friend of mine is working on one now.

mitunnelrat
10-04-2012, 04:42 AM
That's not a bad idea either. I'll have to take a looksie at what that requires. Thanks for the idea.

Gunfixr
10-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Sure.

LUNCHBOX
10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
That is a cool idea if your sure you want to lug that much weight around (of course, squeezing in to a one man tent is not an option to me either) I will say this, if your willing to carry canvas then add another pound and also bring a tarp to hootch over the cnavas to keep it dry and cut some of the wet weight out if possible.

mitunnelrat
10-06-2012, 12:54 AM
After a considerable bit more reading and thinking I believe I'm going to scrap this idea. Talking about GP tents got me considering it, but the weight is too much for the small size, especially wet. I think you're right and a tarp would reduce the wet weight, but I don't think enough since I'd have to keep it clear of the chimney pipe.

I still like the DIY tipi idea, but I found something that looks comparable in price/ cheaper than some of the materials I like, and it may be the way I go for this now.
http://wyominglostandfound.com/index.html

More room, 1/4 the price of a paratipi, similar weight to it, and equipped for a woodstove. Works for me.