PDA

View Full Version : One of those reminders to think & check for yourself!

Marthony
10-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey there,

A quick reminder to maintain your awareness and check the facts before proceeding:

Went to a presentation by a supplier with a co-worker the other day, 120KM away. For work-related events the company prefers we drive a fleet vehicle vs. personal ones.

I was booked for one vehicle, then changed to another so the 2nd vehicle can get some kighway HM's. I drove this vehicle home Tuesday night as it was going to be an early morning start (early for sleep lovers anyway). As soon as I get it parked I start to inspect it. No washer fluid, with the alert lit on the dash -solid cue to check everything! I check tire pressures...3 are within 1-2 lbs, 4th doesn't register a pressure. Upon topping up all the tires to spec and checking again, 4th tire is toast due to a screw in the tire. I manage to swap vehicles, that vehicle checked out after only 1-2lb pressure top-ups.

The flat was not visably apparent, nor did I notice it while driving from work to home. Most people would have simply started the car and drove off at 100km/h and found out the hard way. (passenger rear tire, Toyota Matrix)

Upon discussion about this, some were as surprised as I was, others not. Turns out the tire was first noticed Friday, and a 2nd person failed to act on it Tuesday. Or tell me. Some don't seem to think anything of this, I consider it a dangerous near-miss.

Would this piss you off or just confirm that Common Sense is just a concept and not a reality?!

Taz Baby
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
This would piss me off and someone would be hearing from me too. First off why they would put my life in jeopardy and second why they have morons working for them. don't they have an inspection on each one before they go out? But it is common sence to always check everything before you drive a strange vehicle. Never assume it is road worthy.

bacpacker
10-12-2012, 01:11 AM
The last person who drove that car and turned it back in should be fired. We drive a lot of company vehicles where I work, mostly on site, but some off site as well. We are responsible to do a full walk around before we ever get in. It works when done properly.

msomnipotent
10-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Would this piss you off or just confirm that Common Sense is just a concept and not a reality?!

Both!

Marthony
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Drivers are supposed to walk around their vehicle for a quick inspection each time, but I think this has faded from people's memory; it's become another paper tiger. Scary thing is, another manager I spoke to when acquiring the 2nd vehicle said he wouldn't bother testing the tire pressures on it as it has sensors to warn you. (pressures where short 1-2lbs)

I've informed the manager of that department as he was unaware of any of this! He understands that 50% of people could have just taken it to full speed without knowing, making this a near-miss. He'll also see that an air pressure gauge is put into the vehicle. He didn't say what he'd do about the double failure of communication of his staff, but it was obvious he wasn't impressed. On the plus side, my manager gave me an hour 'credit' for the time I spent on the scenario...used it for sleep!

The fuck-up fairy has more wrenches now then ever...keep the radar on!