PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Shrugged II

Willie51
10-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Atlas Shrugged II starts in theatres this weekend! Should be good. :)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
If you saw the first one could you give me a "brief" summary and then an AAR of Atlas II. I really want to see them both! Tanks Brother!

Willie51
10-13-2012, 04:11 AM
BWRR,
The first movie was a little hard to follow but good. And I knew going in that it was the 1st of a trilogy. But, since the book was written in 1957 and could relate to what we are seeing today in our government, I had to see it. It's still playing on Netflix if you get that.

I copied and pasted this summary from Wikipedia since it was easier and quicker if that's okay:
The book explores a dogmatic dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and go on strike. The refusal evokes the imagery of what would happen if the mythological Atlas refused to continue to hold up the world. They are led by John Galt. Galt describes the strike as "stopping the motor of the world" by withdrawing the minds that drive society's growth and productivity. In their efforts, these people "of the mind" hope to demonstrate that a world in which the individual is not free to create is doomed, that civilization cannot exist where every person is a slave to society and government, and that the destruction of the profit motive leads to the collapse of society. The protagonist, Dagny Taggart, sees society collapse around her as the government increasingly asserts control over all industry.

Songbird and I plan to go see AS ll next week sometime and I will let you know what I think.

Willie51
10-13-2012, 04:43 AM
^ The above summary is about Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged which will be 3 movies when done.

The summary below is of Atlas Shrugged l movie.
Copied from IMDB-
It was great to be alive, once, but the world was perishing. Factories were shutting down, transportation was grinding to a halt, granaries were empty--and key people who had once kept it running were disappearing all over the country. As the lights winked out and the cities went cold, nothing was left to anyone but misery. No one knew how to stop it, no one understood why it was happening - except one woman, the operating executive of a once mighty transcontinental railroad, who suspects the answer may rest with a remarkable invention and the man who created it - a man who once said he would stop the motor of the world. Everything now depends on finding him and discovering the answer to the question on the lips of everyone as they whisper it in fear: Who *is* John Galt?

BWRR, Had to copy and paste instead of typing my summary. Packing tonight for 2 week trip south. :)

Willie51
10-13-2012, 04:51 AM
BWRR, this is for AS Part 2:

With the global economy on the brink of collapse, Dagny Taggart (she is the railroad exec from AS part 1). discovers what might be the answer to a mounting energy crisis and races against the clock to prevent the motor of the World from being stopped for good.

Y'all definitely need to see part 1 first.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-15-2012, 07:17 AM
OK, all I can say is "detained elsewhere" but thank you very much for the intell! Yes, that was my Idea, to see Atlas I and then the second, just makes sense. Pati bought the book a few years back but I think the size scared her, he, he. No really she started reading years ago, and then found it again. But time is another matter. Then I saw the previews for II and didn't even know they made the first one.

HEY.....YOU TWO BE SAFE, keep us posted, give me a PM, gotta keep tabs on my "swim buddy"............

Willie51
10-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Okay, we did the Atlas Shrugged marathon over the weekend....who is John Galt? (We're still at our house in s. Florida BTW.) So, last night we had neighbors from across the street over and grilled out Tuna steaks on my Big Green Egg, yummy. (These neighbors are thinkers like us and we were at their debate party last week.) So, last night was the Atlas Shrugged I party at our house. Songbird and I had seen it already, but it was even better the second time around. We watched it on the big screen TV (Netflix) and then went today with the same folks to the theatre to see Atlas Shrugged II. It was great and ALL loved both movies. Now, we just have to wait on Atlas Shrugged III to come out in 2013, dangit. Everyone was amazed how it relates to our world today, eventhough it was written in 1957.....scary my friends. Ayn Rand was a true visionary. Who is John Galt?

Grumpy Old Man
10-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Willie check out my sig line. Isn't it interesting to be living a scenario that was written about by a Russian immigrant over 50 years ago. BTW, John Galt worked for the Taggart Transcontinental Line. Yeah I know, I'm a spoiler.

Willie51
10-29-2012, 11:39 PM
^Grumpy, Love your sig line. We were walking around for about a week saying "who is John Galt" to each other. :-)

I may have to go ahead and read the book so I don't have to wait until Part 3 comes out next year. Yes Ayn Rand was quite a visionary. When she wrote the book, it was a political science fiction back in 1957. Not so much science fiction anymore. :-)

Grumpy Old Man
10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I reread "Atlas Shrugged" each year. Each year it gets more chilling for me. It's a real good, though long, read as is "Fountainhead", also by Ayn Rand.

ladyhk13
10-31-2012, 06:13 AM
I just started reading Atlas Shrugged the other day...is the movie just the book split into 3 parts?

Grumpy Old Man
10-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Lady, the book is also split into three parts. And, for the most part, the movies have been extremely faithful to the book.

ladyhk13
11-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks...guess that's why it soooooooooooooooooo thick! So I have all three movies in one book.

scienceteacher
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
The 1st movie is on netflix but the movie leaves you with enough questions that you'll wish you read the book first. The detail is in the book that turns the light on and illuminates the motivations of the characters. The movie gives the actions but in this story motivation is everything.