PDA

View Full Version : Passed my general ticket today

rentprop1
10-21-2012, 02:59 AM
now to save up for a nice HF rig, also met a lady who was discussing a Faraday cage and started an interesting exchange

Evolver
10-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Congratulations!!! Now whats a General ticket:confused: sry. :o

Willie51
10-21-2012, 03:12 AM
^Ham Radio License- 2nd level

xusualsuspectx
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Congrats!!!
now to save up for a nice HF rig, also met a lady who was discussing a Faraday cage and started an interesting exchange

White Tiger
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Congratulations rentprop! I just got my ticket last Sturday (October 13th)...curious as to how long it would take to get your call sign? They told me to expect 2 weeks.

Also, I have a veteran ham who has been helping me (elmering) and he suggested a Ten Tec Omni D - which is the HF rig I ended up getting (eBay). Also, bought a fan dipole antenna covering 80m-10m, and I bought a set of 4' milsurp poles (12 of them) for an antenna mast.

I'm watching the ULS website for notification of my call sign...any day now! Let me know when you get yours!

rentprop1
10-23-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm keeping my same identifier call from my Tech license, but I'm not publishing in on the net, OPSEC and all ;)

The Stig
10-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Hey man - congrats!

That is most cool. Comms is one area that I am pathetically weak in.

DarkLight
10-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Congrats! I got my general about 4 months ago and my extra 2 weeks later (just before the pool changed). I still don't have an HF rig. :(

IDTANDY
10-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Congratulations.Useful tool,there are those out there who remember MARS(Military Auxiliary Radio System) made many calls,over,home because of the HAM radio operators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Auxiliary_Radio_System

bacpacker
10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Congratulations.Useful tool,there are those out there who remember MARS(Military Auxiliary Radio System) made many calls,over,home because of the HAM radio operators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Auxiliary_Radio_System

I have a couple of freinds who still participate in MARS. From what I've been told it is not the same level of folks doing it now days, but still plays a important role.

Congrats to all who got their ticket and the upgrades. I've still got the extra to go. Just haven't had time to study for it.

White Tiger
04-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I have a couple of freinds who still participate in MARS. From what I've been told it is not the same level of folks doing it now days, but still plays a important role.

Congrats to all who got their ticket and the upgrades. I've still got the extra to go. Just haven't had time to study for it.

So, we got our ticket about the same time (in a General as well)...how have you liked it? Changed any gear (hah)!?

Changed any of your original ideas/concepts of what you would want or need in case of SHTF?

Are you branching out into other modes/freq's?

bacpacker
04-20-2013, 11:58 PM
WT, I am ashamed to admit I have done very little since I got my General ticket. I have owned a Icom-706 Gen 1 model for several years before I got the general. But I haven't hardly been on the air with HF. I don't currently have a HF antenna mounted, so I have to use the set up using the mobile antenna I have.

Changes, not many, but I have purchased the parts to build a Multi band dipole but haven't gotten around to building it yet. I have been looking at some different rig's for different purposes and various antenna's that would make thing work better.

I spent most time on VHF/UHF in years past. I have worked a lot of modes on that, APRS and Winlink 2000 being the main two. They were both very useful while working EmComm. We also did a lot of cross band repeating to work in certain areas down here in the hills to work around dead areas. Good learning experience..

rentprop1
04-25-2013, 04:33 AM
I am ashamed to admit I have done very little since I got my General ticket.

BP, dont feel bad this was my post I got my General about 6 months ago and still not HF rig ....arrgh
I did but another 2m HT for the wifes car......I really want a 450D or 857, its just the price tag and I just have a thing about used equipment, there are a lot of OK starter machines, but if you don't have anyone that can go with you and test it out ( Elmer ) then its almost better to save and get a new start of the art radio ???

bacpacker
04-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Those are the two best starter rigs IMO. A IC 706 would be next. Bout the same really. I got a used 1st gen 706, but from a friend. It works fine. But you never lnow if you cant get a history. Plus with new theres that little warranty deala.

2die4
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Those are the two best starter rigs IMO. A IC 706 would be next. Bout the same really. I got a used 1st gen 706, but from a friend. It works fine. But you never lnow if you cant get a history. Plus with new theres that little warranty deala.

What do you have set up antenna wise?

bacpacker
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Right now just a Jet Stream dual band 2M/70cm vertical. Sevral different mobile set ups. I also have the parts for a multi band dipole. Just haven't gotten it put together and mounted. Major fail right there.

Stormfeather
04-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Congrats on the general ticket!

Like many here, Commo is my main area that I am lacking in. . .Would love to start studying for it, but time/money/energy/effort is always dedicated in other places on other projects. Unfortunately, the zombie apocalypse is going to happen, and I will probably be the only person with zero commo!

Willie51
04-25-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't feel so bad now....Been slacking here too, just busy crazy busy on other stuff. Picked two Alinco HF last year and was set up to take General exam and didn't go. Hopefully I can get back to studying for test and get 'er done.

White Tiger
06-16-2013, 02:51 AM
I had a multi-band HF fan-dipole up about 24' - from 80m -15m - I've worked the Republic of Slovenia, Milan, Italy, Venezuela, and as far west as Kalifornia. I've heard stations in a net in Alaska and once a Japanese station. My 80m dipole unintentionally was configured for NVIS - so I've even figured out how to listen to folks all around me in my state..

The dipole is "passive" it's not directional - but I worked it non-stop every evening thru January and February and learned what geographical areas I could pick up, on which bands, at specific times of day. I learned to work the "gray line" and which signals came in stronger while working it.

On the negative side - I learned about cancelation due to the configuration of my fan dipole, learned about grounding and power.

I also learned what happens when someone pulls out of your backyard and snags your fan dipole and pulls it out of a tree...

So my next effort will be to replace the 100' of coax with the 150' from DX - which I will bury - and see if I can't go as stealth as possible!

I REALLY could use some help with the Icom IC-271a VHF/UHF all mode rig I bought - and the two Chicom HT's...because I learned that working 2m is a LOT harder than HF!

Hope you've all managed to get your HF rigs - I can heartily recommend a Ten Tec 546D - she's an oldy but a goody - the finals they used in the old girl are like a Timex watch - "take a licking and keep on ticking..."That's another part of my learnings - power modulation!

Im flirting with a solar recharge station to run the Omni D full-time from a deep cycle battery...

All this from one of the LEAST tech savvy guys any of you will ever know!

ElevenBravo
06-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Your call will still be at FCC & QRZ & Etc... but as long as you dont disclose your call within the forums, you should be good OPSEC.

Ive been Gen for a few years, HF is *MUCH* more fun than VHF/UHF!

I find 40m to be open year round, around the clock... 90% of the time! I worked East Coast to West Coast at 1am with CW one night, that was a real rush! With only 100w.

Check some of the ham classifieds... Ive got a TenTec 544 right now, and I love it 1,000% better than the Icom 718 I used to have (Had to sell it so I could buy a MIG).

You do *NOT* need to spend a lot of money to get into HF. Ive even got a Pyrimid power supply, but its 40 amps, so that explains the $149 price tag for that part.

JetStream makes a damn fine switcher for $99, Id suggest that first.

If you have ANY questions on rigs, give me a shout via PM.

Final tip of the day, stay the hell off the QRZ forums, its full of conceded and arrogant asses!

EB