PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS

The Stig
10-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Any suggestions or advice for a reasonably priced, rugged hand-held GPS unit?

I'm toying with the idea of picking one up for land-nav, camping and general tinkering.

Any and all experiences are welcome.

I'm also wondering how useful a tiny little screen is....do you have to scroll in and out all the time?

I have always had good luck with Garmin products. I'm open to other brands too just leaning Garmin due to the past experience.

FL-Jeeper
10-23-2012, 01:20 AM
I've had a Delorme PN20 for a few years & I like it a lot. I use it for hiking, kayaking, biking & off-roading. The current revision is the PN60 & it's a bit pricier but the PN20 & PN40 can be sourced online for a lot less $$$. The bundled topo software has GPS integration and numerous imagery layers are available for download. I've used it extensively for trip planning.

izzyscout21
10-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Garmin Colorado

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-23-2012, 03:25 AM
We use the Magellan Triton, I loaded the NatGeo Topo maps for TN&KY. Takes a bit getting used to but so far I have been satisfied. I was frustrated at first, coming from a Navy man and having "bigger" and better equip. (in those days) The buttons are small (Magellan)and my fingers are fat. It uses 2 AA batteries. they go thru them fairly quicly but I don't know of any that don't. I have used this thing tracking over at least 50 properties of 100+ acres each on foot. LadyHK13 and deffinately put it through it's paces. The only thing I found is that it doesn't work in a cave.......DUH! I rate it 4 0ut of 5 stars and it's 4 yrs old. I also recommend the Nat Geo Topo programs. Hope this helps.

Conns: Needs bigger buttons and screen, I'll buy one that one again if I had to. I'm currently looking for one (fat finger big screen)If I can find one. But I give it a :o

wingnutx
11-05-2012, 03:57 AM
I use my Droid X running 'Back Country Naviagator' with free USGS topo maps.

I paid $7 for an overlay of all state and federal land in the state.

Works great.

Sniper-T
11-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Been using a Rhino 130 pretty much since they came out. Love the built in radio, and the option to locate your buddy with the push of a button

piranha2
11-05-2012, 06:28 PM
+1 for Garmin. Customer service, should you need it.

bacpacker
11-06-2012, 12:00 AM
The Garmin Colorado is a great GPS. A buddy of mine has had the T model for several years and has had zero problems with it. The Oregon models, while I have no actual knowledge of them, appear to be just as good and have good reviews.

Stormfeather
11-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Gotta gowith what Ive been using for years, RHINOS all the way!

mitunnelrat
11-06-2012, 04:30 PM
The Oregon models have caught my eye because you can snap a pic of a location and have a visual referenece of the point along with the coords. One of the models is also waterproof and looks pretty rugged.

I'm tempted to just save and wait for that one rather than buy something else.

Onestep
11-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Is there an app for the Iphone that is compatable to what you got Wing?