PDA

View Full Version : Prepping to do yard work?

The Stig
05-15-2011, 12:38 AM
After my near miss with the chainsaw the other day it suddenly dawned on me that I need to prepare for serious yard work as I might any other dangerous activity.

Think about all the things that are going on when you are doing yard work? We spend a lot of time thinking about the mulching or mowing but do we put any thought into bad things that can happen whilst we beautify our property? Hopefully these preparations will prevent a day of manual labor from turning into a SHTF event.

Today I put a trauma kit in the side-pocket of my BDUs. My trauma kit consists of an Israeli bandage, a small packet of Celox and a triangle bandage. I originally put these together for gunshot wounds, but I figure they'd deal with a large cut or puncture wound from another source.

I've carried a firearm while doing yard work for a long time. I started with a S&W 442 revolver but have had a major revamping of thought on revolvers as a primary. As such I dropped a Glock 27 into a kydex pocket holster from Aholster.com and doubled my onboard ammo payload.

Some people might question a firearm while doing yard work but the increase in home invasions coupled with your distraction level while working tells me preparing for trouble before it starts is a good idea.

I also began getting more serious about sun-screen once we moved to a more UV intense location. I guess that's not the sexiest prep in the world, but it does help prevent problems down the road that would impact my ability to prep.

I haven't been good about keeping water nearby but I need to address that and get in the habit of staying hydrated.

Thoughts?

Ideas?

Like I said, not the sexiest prep in the world, but to me, thinking ahead to avoid trouble, regardless of situation, is the core of true prepping.

bacpacker
05-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Very good post. There are so many things that can happen when out working, it don't hurt to keep supplies on hand. As far as carrying while out working. I agree completely. I've been trying to everytime I'm out. There have been some home invasions around here the past year or 2 so we always try to keep one handy. While your out working, your not really watchin out for that much around your area. Out where our garden is we are 50 yards+ from the house, so no way we could get to the house quickly. It does suck at times, but gettin better as time goes on.
Thanks for posting

RedJohn
05-15-2011, 10:30 AM
How about just carrying a 2-way radio and call your family for help in case of trouble?

The Stig
05-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Not a bad idea RJ. For some situations that could be perfect.

bacpacker
05-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Very good ides RJ. The wife & I have a set of FRS/GMTS radio's and we try and always have them on and turned up when one of us is out working so we can stay in touch, request help, or whatever we need. Works just as well when in the basement or shop working also. they weigh almost nothing and will eaily reach 1/2 mile.

To Stig's point about staying hydrated. I sweat so much I really have to pay close attention to staying hydrated. We have a freezer in the basement, when going out to work around the place I will stick 2 half liter bottles in the freezer so they are good and cold when I need them. My lawnmower also has a little bottle holder on on fender and I try to always keep a bottle in that. I'll lay on on the foot platform on my tractor when bush hogging or something in the hot weather. If I have the truck out in the field I'll even put a small cooler with 3-4 bottles in it. Something else I've never tried, but may be useful would be a hydration bladder like a camelback or something similar.

After reading this thread last night, I have started on a small FAK just for working outdoors around here. It makes good sense to me to have one handy.

alpmco
05-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Never go out working alone if you can make someone else miserable too! Take your cell phone. This is especially necessary if you are doing any work in the attic or in the crawl space under the house (for those of us who don't have a basement). I also keep it in reach when I'm working under a vehicle. You never know when you may need to yell for help.

alaska
05-19-2011, 05:50 PM
How about just carrying a 2-way radio and call your family for help in case of trouble?

Could have sworn i said that exact thing in your post about the chainsaw.................

LUNCHBOX
05-20-2011, 05:06 AM
I keep a Camelbak Mule with a small ifak one hit kit, Taurus 9mm, couple granola bars and water when I'm out back away from the house. My dogs usually let me know if someone pulls up but it is good practice just keeping your head on a swivel and not getting to caught up with what your doing.

alpmco
05-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds like I'm the only one here that lives in the city. In 51 years I have never had cause to carry a firearm while doing yard work. It is always close though in case I need to get rid or them pesky bible thumpers that are trying to save themselves by trying to save me. My idea of a "Watchtower" is a bit different. A slightly different twist ... I was once breaking up a concrete walkway and throwing the chunks in the back of the truck when a pair or Mormons came by to save my soul ... I didn't have time for them and nicely told them so ... I believe they were serious when they offered to help me finish the job.