PDA

View Full Version : METT-TC, A military planning tool

izzyscout21
10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
wanted to share this military acronym that I have found invaluable for planning my outdoor activities and several other aspects of even my daily life. Its so ingrained in us these days in the Army that it comes second nature to me these days.

METT-TC stands for:

Mission
Enemy
Terrain and Weather
Troops
Time
Civil Considerations

I also like to add a second C that stands for Contingencies. It helps me think of more what ifs.

This is how I look at METT-TC(C) for all of my outdoor activities. It is seldom a linear thought process, but once you go through the exercise half a dozen times, it can help you identify issues with your planning process and starts to become second nature the longer you do it.

-Mission is what you intend on doing...mushroom hunting, deer hunting, bug collecting, arrowheads...whathaveyou.

-Enemy can be considered the elements...heat, cold, dehydration, some flora and fauna etc. (if outdoors)...your inlaws could be your enemy if using METT-TC(C) to plan a wedding...just sayin.

-Terrain and weather Do you have a map? What terrain are you operating in? alternate routes? Do you have a detailed weather forecast? (if not, see Aviation Weather and the Outdoors for a great forecasting resource) How can these things effect your plans for your outing? Rain gear? etc etc.

-Troops and equipment Who are you bringing with you? are they young? old? special needs like diabetic? asthma? What are you bringing with you collectively? do you ALL need to bring a cast iron skillet or can you cross load?

-Time How long do you have to spend in the woods? Can you afford to improvise everything you need or should you bring more gear? Food? Water? How much do you need for the allotted time afoot? (I also consider Rule of 3's and my own "one week to be found alive" rule.)

-Civil considerations are you on private land or public? Any special rules and regs for where you are operating? firearm regs? Hunting season? Trash? Leave no trace area? (the movie deliverance is a usually a good Civil Consideration...lol)

-Contingencies (this one is my own addition to the overall acronym.) Cell phone reception? SPOT locator? GPS? Survival radio? First aid kit? Allergies or meds? Extraction locations?

So, while this is a survival forum, I still think METT-TC(C) is useful for planning even the most mundane of events, let alone a weekend or week long outing of any activity.

Baker
10-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Excellent stuff, thanks!

GunnerMax
10-28-2012, 07:02 PM
i know of this METTTC.... :)

bacpacker
10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Good Stuff izzy.

The Stig
10-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Excellent stuff Izzy.

As you pointed out, using something like this to prepare for run of the mill activities is very wise.

FL-Jeeper
11-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Good stuff. After 3 yrs in the Infantry & another 8 running troops in tactical commo units, METT-T (as it was termed about 15-20 yrs ago) is a very useful tool. At this point my execution is a bit more abstract but the steps outlined in METT-T(TC) can be extremely helpful in your planning processes.