PDA

View Full Version : The Trapping Hunt

Buddychrist
10-31-2012, 06:50 AM
So after seeing a black cat eat my catfood, attempt maul my kitten and attack my two larger cats I decided to do something about it. After sitting in my thinking chair for a few minutes I decided on one of my Raccoon traps properly placed and baited with cat food.

I placed my three cats on the porch and proceeded to set the traps with high hopes! After hearing my dogs bark for 5-10 minutes at 2:00am I put on my coat, grabbed my flashlight, tossed on my crocs, and proceeded to the trap.

The front door of the cage was closed and as excitement filled me with a successful trapping I walked to the side of the trap I heard a rustle beside me.

Yep that black demon cat was running away. So.... What's in the trap???

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/pydyzu7e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/tu6u8eqa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/e7e2usa6.jpg

A very docile and friendly young possum. I carried the cage up to the house for a few quick photos on my iPod and then a quick trek to the front of my property where I see them crossing all the time to release him for another day!

The Hunt is not over.

robsdak
10-31-2012, 07:18 AM
nice catch...;)

Sniper-T
10-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't they taste like cat?

Buddychrist
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Idk lol I'm not gonna try it.

Setting the cage out again tonight, we shall see what I catch haha!

Grumpy Old Man
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Actually they are a little greasier than cat, but when parboiled and then barbecued they are pretty tasty. Don't ask how I know. The same can be said for racoons, but you need to remove the glands in their "armpits". I have recipes I can share if you wish.

Buddychrist
10-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Actually they are a little greasier than cat, but when parboiled and then barbecued they are pretty tasty. Don't ask how I know. The same can be said for racoons, but you need to remove the glands in their "armpits". I have recipes I can share if you wish.

Share it and I will give it a shot

Isn't there problems with diseases and you have to be really really careful?

robsdak
10-31-2012, 08:30 PM

i wouldn't think so, they get eaten up here in my neck of the woods all the time. not by me, but i did go through a period in my teens where i tried a lot of things, coon,possum,armadillo,turtle,crow,robins just to see what could be eaten in a pinch.

ak474u
11-01-2012, 04:58 AM

Not if you wear protection.... Sorry, had to do it.

Grumpy Old Man
11-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Here is a recipe for raccoon:

Skin coon and remove the "kernels" (scent glands) from under the armpits and groin. Don't allow any hair from the hide to contact the meat. Remove every bit of fat you can, especially inter-muscular fat as it has an objectionable taste. Next soak carcass in chilled salt water for 1 hour, rinse thoroughly and drain. The coon is now ready to cook.
If you are going to fry it, cut into pieces, soak in buttermilk to cover for 40 minutes, dredge in your favorite breading mixture and salt and pepper to taste. Fry in deep fat.

To roast, place coon in a deep roasting pan and barely cover with water. Add onions, celery and carrots. Simmer for 1/2 hour, remove coon and drain. Discard the broth and vegetables. Rub well with salt, red and black pepper inside and out. Place coon on back in the roasting pan add onions and potatoes, 4 cups of coffee, cover and roast at 350 until tender, about 2 hours. for last hour remove cover so that the coon will get crusty. Use pan drippings for gravy.

A variant of the roast is to follow the directions up to placing the coon in the pan to roast. Instead, barbecue the coon (that means indirect heat and smoke) at 220 for 3-4 hours. Serve with sauce on the side.

A possum recipe will follow soon.

RedJohn
11-02-2012, 06:56 PM

No, rabbit taste like cat. Their meat and skeleton looks a lot alike, except for the head and the rib cage that are not the same.

Evolver
11-02-2012, 09:19 PM
And too... Rabbit skins just like cat.

Grumpy Old Man
11-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Cat, the other white meat!