PDA

View Full Version : What tactical vest/LBE do you favor?

prepguide
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Been having this conversation with several of my prep buddies and so wanted to ask here. What is your favorite tactical vest or Load Bearing Equipment ? I personally am a big fan of Condor which is what my vest is, I was slow to warm to them but once I got my hands on some of their equipment I was pretty impressed.

So was curious to see what y'all are wearing. Thanks

The Stig
10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
BCM03: for shorter term, training classes, etc
Blue Force Gear LMAC: plate carrier
London Bridge Trading Company: heavier chest rig with tons of pockets and built like a tank.

For pouches I prefer: Eagle, USGI, Endom, London Bridge, Marz, Tactical Tailor, etc

izzyscout21
10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh my............I choose what is needed for the mission from the small buffet in the back room............

All of my rigs are tailored to a specific mission/ weapon

London Bridge 6094M Plate carrier
7.62 Tactical Partisan LBE
Tactical Tailor Split front MAV
Tactical Tailor MAV
Blackhawk LBE
London Bridge Rifleman Assault Kit
Tac Tailor Mini-Mav
and.............I've got a few custom rigs

pouches I do Tac Tailor, Emdom, HSGI, a Few DBT, US Grunt Gear

The Stig
10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Good call Izzy....I forgot DBT. Their old stuff is pretty sweet.

cwconnertx
10-31-2012, 06:55 PM
I have tyr tactical Pico MV and it seems good so far

bacpacker
10-31-2012, 07:10 PM
I currently just use a old Vietnam era h harness LBE set up. Nothing to brag about. I really need to go to a more mission specific set up. The BCM o3 Stig mentioned is on that caught my eye. Its not an all around rig but would be super for short term use.

Jerry D Young
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Kifaru http://www.kifaru.net/ for packs and some pouches, FMCO http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/ for vests and pouches, Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/ for MOLLE belts and pouches, plus there are several other companies with specific items that I like, such as the HSGI dump pouch/respirator pouch. http://www.hsgi.us/

rentprop1
11-02-2012, 03:47 AM
for right now I went with a battle belt, chest rigs look like a bra on me, Size 62 long jacket, think silver-back gorilla , but once the weight is on it, is sags cause I have no ass, I really need to find some sort of suspenders but they are gonna have to have some length to adjust, most of what I have tried doesn't

mitunnelrat
11-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Have you tried the HSGI suspenders? They're not only adjustable, but shock corded, so they move with you while also supporting the weight of the belt. I highly recommend them.

As for my kit, I've had an SDS FLC for years now, and I have an ATS war belt with (as I've just mentioned) HSGI suspenders.

Stormfeather
11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Eagle Scalable plate Carrier with TAG pouches everywhere on it and a assault pack ready to roll if I need it.

GunnerMax
11-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Mitunnelrat. I have 2 of those shock corded suspenders, and I use a set of those with my HSGI sure grip padded belt every day at work for the last 2 months and they are great. Ill post pics of my setup today, but it is still a work setup until training ends in 2 weeks (bulletproof vest and mil setup).

Gunfixr
11-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I have a battlebelt built using a Blackhawk MOLLE belt piece, to which I added a custom made inner belt which uses an AlpinAire buckle, in the back, and to which I have sewn custom suspenders. It has hooks for a Blackhawk hydration carrier on the back, and TAG pouches for rifle, and some unknown pistol pouches. I also have a few SpecOps pouches.
That's for the rifle.
For the subgun/carbine, I have a USGI MOLLE lightweight mesh vest, with the same unknown (maybe Condor?) pistol pouches, and Blackhawk subgun mag pouches. This is a lightweight, in town, "run and gun" rig for the UZI or TP9.
I also have an Arktis vest, old school, with permanent pouches that will hold either AR or AK mags. I have modded this with some MOLLE sections so I can add other pouches.
I have dump pouches on all setups.
I have a cheap AK mag pouch, and some more of the Blackhawk subgun mag pouches, as well as another battlebelt and several old school USGI web belts, so I can set up something else quickly to hand out or to give to another family member who would otherwise not necessarily be in the fight.
I do have a Level III plate carrier w/ ceramic plates, but so far I haven't loaded it. I just have the other setups to drop over it.
As I am just about finished with the bolt gun, I want to set up a rig to carry mags for that, along with mags for the TP9, as I think that and the bolt rifle would make a pretty good combo.
Subgun mag pouches are kind of hard to find anymore, as everyone has gone to using M4s for what subguns used to be used for.

prepguide
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Great input, thanks to all. Much appreciated

Doc B
12-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I know there are many new options out there but I still find the USGI stuff fits the bill for me.

greg48
12-14-2012, 03:43 PM
i am still old school i guess. i like the alice system uncle sam used for many years. i've a lbv for my magazines, holster on web belt for my hogleg. i have a ruck i humped for many years when i wore a uniform. got several pouches on the outside, the molle system works with the alice system so i've some of both. i do have a drop leg holster i carry sometimes, i can't really say i like the pistol on the leg or on the waist any better than the other. i do like the one point sling for my M4. i've a scabbard i can sling my shotgun or attach it to my ruck. i have a hydration system [camel back] i either carry on my back or put inside the top flap pocket of my ruck. the good thing about the army going to the molle system and digital color scheme the alice equipment in od green is very affordable, more money to spend on ammo.

Jerry D Young
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Finally got the money together to get an FMCO 8-magazine vest for my PTR-91. Everything I expected and more.

bacpacker
12-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks to brother Izzy, I picked up what looks to be a brand new Blackhawk LBE. came with suspender, belt, butt pack, 6 mag pouches, 2 canteen carriers, 2 utility pouches and a couple assorted pouches.

I'm looking forward to loading this thing up and toting it around and getting it adjusted in for me. This set up is a nice step up from my old rig, and now I have a back up for a different rifle as well.

GunnerMax
12-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a duo of NSW Frog Rigs coming from Original SOE, as well as a Partisan LBV for the AK/M4 from 762Tactical. Otherwise, until those come in, I am running my Armored vest with SOE/eagle pouches.

The Stig
12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
One word of advice from someone who has been nowhere and done nothing. If you haven't already, put the chest rig on and ensure there are no conflicts between pouches. If you carry a sidearm, are there any pouches that would prevent a clean draw? I carry a sidearm on my battlebelt, not a drop-leg, thus it rides higher. I have to keep the right side of any chest rig or plate carrier bare otherwise the pouch there will be in the way of the pistola.

Especially if you are using a separate belt and vest/plate carrier you need to make sure everything works together. Can you reach your first aide kit? Can you reach it with both hands? Does anything jam into your sides that would become miserable after a short while? If you raise your rifle any pouches snag the sling?

Optimally you want to wear your equipment out on a long hike or other strenuous activity. This will really shake it out and ensure your setup works for you. If you are a fat salesguy like me, however, work with what you are given. Many days when I work from my home office I'll toss on a plate carrier and belt. While there is no activity it does help to just get used to it being on. If your yard offers privacy consider wearing your gear while doing yard work or even cleaning the house.

The more you wear it the better.

Anyway, there are far more guys here who have worn these items in a real-world situation and can guide us all further. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

greg48
12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
hey stig; just to bounce off your post, i've also carried the sidearm in the holster on the front of the carrier, problem there is with a bunch of magazines, a radio etc...it gets to where to low in the prone is impossible and to do a combat roll is like a big turtle doing drills...the other side of the coin is if you put stuff on the waist to get alot on there ya' sometimes you get to where it interferes with carrying a pack/ruck. the key is putting the crap on and trying everthing from humping the pack/ruck to IMTs. i know you know this stig as well as most on here i'm just talking out loud...

bourneshooter
01-25-2013, 03:28 AM
I've found that my personal choice for load carriage is a belt. Currently a fan of the Blue Force Gear SOC-C, Tyr VTAC Brokos and First Spear MOLLE belt. After its out and I get one, I'll probably like the new Blue Force Gear MOLLEminus belt as well.

For carry of mags on anywhere but the belt (mimics the CCW/EDC/LEO Duty Belt), I prefer to avoid vests and go with either a Chest rig or plate carrier with Velocity Systems plates.

I've found that the following brands are the best to pick those up from:
Blue Force Gear (10 speed, MOLLEminus and super modular LMAC to be specific).
TYR Tactical.
First Spear.
Mayflower R&C/Velocity Systems
Crye Precision
London Bridge Trading

I look at a couple things for choosing my kit.
Country - Made in USA or bust is generally a rule one should follow.
Weight. Lighter is better.
Modularity. Ability to change your kit for the mission, while retaining the lightweight and durability is key for the not so financially well off.

Personally I have a Blue Force Gear plate carrier, chest rig and belt. Pouches are Blue Force Gear, ATS Tactical,London Bridge Trading, Tyr Tactical, Mayflower R&C, etc. Any way I can make my kit lighter in overall weight while not sacrificing any bit of durability and usefullness is my goal.

Pictures are just examples of kit I've used at one time or another. I am a right handed shooter with both Pistol and Rifle.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/537808_10150824032359254_737869253_11492397_153094 2951_n.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN2062.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/GUNS/DSCN2200.jpg

David Armstrong
01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
I've tried vests and never found one I like. It may be habit but I find myself always going back to the VietNam-era military LBE (ALICE gear). It is comfortable, it is cool, it can be quickly configured into whatever specific form I need and it is inexpensive.