PDA

View Full Version : Different uses for different things

Taz Baby
11-01-2012, 01:40 PM
As some of you might know this already, I am posting this for the ones who don't. I like having to only buy 1 thing that does a lot of different things.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/381850_10151225203707436_494112440_n.jpg

FL-Jeeper
11-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Very cool. For anyone not in the know, there's a similar matrix for vinegar.

CLEANING:

in the kitchen…

1. Naturally disinfect all surfaces {mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water in a spray bottle}

2. Scrub stuck on stains {make a paste with vinegar and baking soda and scrub with a sponge}

3. Clean your dishwasher {pour 1 cup into the bottom of the dishwasher and run it with no dishes inside}

4. In place of “Jet Dry” {fill the Jet Dry cup on your dishwasher with vinegar instead}

5. Clean out your coffee maker {pour 2 c. white vinegar and 1 c. water into the coffee maker and run a full brew cycle. Remove and replace the filter and run 2 cycles of just water}

6. Disinfect cutting boards

7. Clean and disinfect pots, pans, utensils, plates, cups, etc.

8. Clean your hands with vinegar to remove strong onion and garlic odors

9. Keep sponges and kitchen rags fresh by soaking in vinegar overnight. {rinse them before using again}

10. Clean “un-washable appliances” {spray white vinegar on electric griddles, George Foreman grills, etc. and then just wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel.}

11.Unclog your drains

12. Natural de-greaser {clean with vinegar and then rinse with cold water}

13. Microwave: {pour 1/4 c. vinegar and 1 c water in a glass bowl; microwave on high for 5 minutes; wipe clean}

14. Disinfect ice trays and remove build-up {soak ice trays in vinegar overnight and then rinse with cold water}

15. Mix vinegar with citrus juice to freshen your garbage disposal {citrus peals work great too}

16. Naturally clean your fruits and veggies by soaking them in 1 part vinegar and 1 part water

17. Clean a non-self-cleaning oven by spraying the inside with vinegar and then sprinkling with baking soda. Let sit for 5-10 minute and then scrub with a sponge

18. Clean your stove top

19. Remove hard water spots from stainless steel by wiping with a cloth dipped in vinegar

20. Clean the insides of water bottles and coffee thermoses by “swishing” with vinegar — this will naturally kill any bacteria lingering at the bottom where you might no be able to reach
in the bathroom…

21. Clean counters and all surfaces with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water

22. Toilets {pour white vinegar directly in the toilet, let it sit for a few minutes, and then scrub with toilet brush}

23. Mirrors {my recipe for glass cleaner}

24. Showers and bathtubs {my recipe for shower cleaner}

25. Stinky towels {wash towels with 1/2 c. of white vinegar in the rinse cycle}

26. Mold and mildew {mix 3 T. white vinegar, 1 t. Borax, and 2 c. hot water. Shake, spray, and let it soak for a few minutes, then rub the area with a soft brush or cloth}

27. Remove hard water stains from your shower nozzle by pouring 1 part vinegar and 1 part water in a plastic bag. Use a rubber band to attach the bag to the nozzle and let soak for 10-15 minutes.
28. Remove limescale buildup on your shower door or in your tub by heating a small container of vinegar to the boiling point. Pour vinegar over the problem areas and it should loosen the lime.
29. Wash your shower curtain by putting in the washing machine with a few old towels. Use 1/2 c. laundry detergent and 1/2 c. baking soda for the wash cycle, and then 1 c. vinegar for the rinse cycle.
30. Clean the grimy soap build up from your soap dish by soaking it in 1 part vinegar and 1 part warm water

general home cleaning…

31. Wood floors {mix 1 c. vinegar with 1 gal. warm water; clean floors with this mixture and then dry with a clean cloth}

32. Use it in a steam mop to clean most surfaces

33. Leather sofas/chairs {spray white vinegar over surface and “buff” with a soft clean cloth}

34. Walls {wipe down pretty much any wall surface with a cloth dampened with white vinegar}

35. Disinfect kid’s toys, books, etc. using 1 part vinegar and 1 part water.

36. Remove dirt and stains from your mattress by blotting with a clean cloth dipped in vinegar. If the spot is still damp, simply sprinkle a little baking soda over the area and vacuum it up.
37. Clean the filters in your dehumidifier / humidifier by soaking them in vinegar for 1 hour

38. Clean mini blinds by soaking them in a bathtub filled with warm water and a few cups of vinegar

39. Spot clean carpets by spraying a little vinegar on the spot and blotting it with a damp cloth

40. Wipe down the inside of all your refrigerator shelves and drawers for a food-safe alternative to traditional cleaners.

41. Wipe down electronics {computer keys, mouse, phone keypad, etc} by wiping with a rag dipped in vinegar.

42. Clean residue and build-up on the inside of your washing machine by dumping in 2 c. of vinegar and running it on the quick cycle.

43. Remove water rings from wood furniture by mixing 1 part white vinegar and 1 part olive oil. Dip a soft cloth in the mixture and rub on the affected area {going with the grain}. Then wipe with a clean, dry cloth.

LAUNDRY:

simply add about 1/2 c. to your rinse cycle to…

44. Remove built-up soap residue

45. Reduce static cling

46. Naturally soften your clothes, towels, blankets, etc.

47. Stop colors from running

48. Whiten whites

49. Reduce irritation for those with sensitive skin

50. Prolong the life of your tights and nylons

51. Remove lingering odors {cigarette smell, smoke, gas}

52. Eliminate that “moldy” smell from damp towels and work-out clothes

you can also soak/scrub items in white vinegar to…

53. Remove yellow stains from sweat

54. Remove blood stains {let soak for 10 minutes}

55. Remove ink stains {mix 2 parts vinegar and 3 parts cornstarch, rub on stain, let dry, wash}

when ironing, use vinegar to help with…

56. Removing wrinkles {mist clothing with 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts water}

57. Cleaning the inside of your iron {fill the water reservoir with white vinegar}

58. Cleaning the metal plate of your iron {mix 1 part vinegar and 1 part salt and scrub the plate with this paste}

59. Eliminating scorch marks {rub the scorched area with a cloth dipped in white vinegar and then blot with a clean towel}

HEALTH & BEAUTY:

60. Hair rinse {in place of conditioner}. Just pour 1/2 c. or so over your hair and rinse well

61. Clean your children’s retainers or Invisalign braces by soaking them in vinegar for a few minutes

62. Strengthen your nails by regularly dipping them in vinegar

63. Prevent infections by spraying small cuts with vinegar

64. Dry up a cold sore by dabbing it with a cotton ball soaked in vinegar

65. Drink 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to help relieve constipation and/or heartburn

66. Kill lice by spraying warm apple cider vinegar onto the scalp just before the final rinse. This will break down the “glue” the nits/lice use to attach to the hair

67. Soften your cuticles by soaking in a bowl of white vinegar for 5 minutes

68. Get rid of blemishes by mixing 1 part vinegar with 10 parts water and dabbing the solution on your freshly-washed face with a clean cotton ball

69. Soothe sunburned skin by soaking a towel in vinegar and then laying over the burned areas

70. Naturally whiten your teeth by dipping a toothbrush in white vinegar and brushing your teeth {only do this once a week and rinse thoroughly with water after you are finished}

71. Put cider vinegar on the pad of a bandage and cover your warts. Replace with a fresh bandage every night and the warts should be gone within a week

72. Mix a few tablespoons of vinegar in your babies bath water to help with diaper rash

73. Remove the hairspray residue from your flat iron or curling iron by wiping with a rag dipped in vinegar

74. Clean brushes and combs by letting them sit in a 1 gallon of water mixed with 1 c. of vinegar

HOME & GARDEN:

75. Clean your windshield wipers with vinegar to keep them functioning properly

76. Loosen rust — like rusted-on screws or rusty patio furniture by soaking the areas in vinegar

77. Keep flying bugs away from your outdoor parties by putting cider vinegar in a shallow dish away from your food. By the end of the night, your dish will be full of “floating bugs”!

78. Make a fly trap for your kitchen by filling a mason jar half full of cider vinegar. Then punch holes in the lid and put the lid back on. The flies will crawl through, but won’t be able to get out again.

79. Mosquito spray — just pour vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz on your skin. The vinegar smell will go away after a few minutes, but you should be bug-free all night!

80. Clean the grill by scrubbing the grates with vinegar and scrubbing with a grill brush

81. Spray it on your weeds as a natural weed killer

82. Clean all your patio furniture with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water in a spray bottle

83. Clean your lawn mower blades {spray vinegar on the blades and scrub off}

84. Keep cats out of your children’s sand box by pouring vinegar around the outside of the box

85. Put a few drops of vinegar in your dog’s water bowl to neutralize his/her urine and prevent those ugly brown/yellow patches in your grass

86. Keep flies away from your pool by pouring vinegar around the outside edges of the pool

87. Spray ripening melons and pumpkins with vinegar to prevent mold from growing on the skin

88. Quickly clean bird droppings by spraying the area with vinegar and then wiping with a cloth/sponge. This will also disinfect the area.

89. Keep uninvited guests out of your veggie garden by soaking several rags in vinegar and then placing them around your garden. Repeat the process every 7-10 days.

90. Before you start painting, wipe down the surfaces with a cloth dipped in vinegar and let dry. This will assure that all the dirt and grease is removed and the paint will adhere properly.

91. Remove the “skunk smell” from dogs {or anything else} by washing with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water and then rinsing thoroughly with warm water.

MISC:

yes, there are even a few MORE uses for vinegar!

92. Make your favorite vinaigrette or salad dressing

93. Tenderize tough cuts of meat mixing a little vinegar in with your other marinating ingredients.

94. Use it to “pickle” almost anything!

95. Freshen smelly shoes by spraying the insides with vinegar, placing them in a paper bag, and then putting the bag in the freezer overnight.

96. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the water when boiling an egg to prevent the yolks from turning brown

97. Add 2 tablespoons to the water when poaching an egg to stop it from “spreading” out

98. Naturally sanitize baby bottles/nipples by washing with vinegar and warm water and then storing in the freezer

99. Remove sticky residue from labels, stickers, gum, etc. by rubbing the area with a rag dipped in vinegar

100. Use vinegar and baking soda as rising agents in vegan cake {I’ve never tried this, but I’m told it works}

101. Polish sliver by mixing 1/2 c. white vinegar and 2 tablespoons baking soda together. Then letting your silver soak for 2-3 hours, rinse with cool water, and dry immediately.

Original content from Simple Organized Living: http://www.simpleorganizedliving.com/2012/03/05/101-more-uses-for-vinegar/#ixzz2B1y61Q6b
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives

shoeglue
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
wow, this is very interesting. I knew there were alot of uses for baking soda but never would of thought all the useful things there was for vinegar. I enjoy the concept of this post though, I like to keep a pint of vodka in my bag just for the sheer amount of uses. Cleaning, disinfecting, fuel for my penny stove, another firestarter, possible use as a painkiller, etc.

Taz Baby
11-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Here is a little about what this is about. I take 1 tbsp of Coconut oil every morning in my coffee.

1001 Uses for Coconut Oil

It is said that there are a thousand uses for the coconut palm. Asian and Pacific Islanders use it for a multitude of purposes from building materials and clothing to food and medicine. Of all the products from the coconut palm the fruit—the coconut—is the most valuable. From the coconut you can get meat, milk, oil, water, and vinegar. Of these, coconut oil is the most versatile. In fact, it is the most useful and versatile of all the fats and oils.

Coconut oil and its components (fatty acids) are used in cooking and food preparation, infant formulas, enteral (tube feeding) and parenteral (intravenous) nutritional formulas for hospital patients, as carriers for transdermal delivery of medication, antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral medications, skin creams and lotions, sunscreens, cosmetics, toothpastes, soaps and detergents, lubricants, biofuels, and numerous other pharmaceutical and industrial applications. In fact, there are literally thousands of uses for the oil.

I thought it might be interesting to identify some of the many uses and compiled the following list. Not all possible uses are included, as new uses are being discovered all the time, particularly in medicine, and there are some uses I am not yet aware of. I’ve limited entries to documented medical, nutritional, industrial, historical and common uses for coconut oil. If you know of other uses for coconut oil, feel free to let me know so I can add it to this list.

I haven’t actually counted every item listed below. The list could easily swell to over 1001 items if every medical application were included. For example, coconut oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties and could be useful in treating hundreds of health conditions associated with inflammation. I’ve only listed those that have been documented.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/hwnl_9-4.htm

Taz Baby
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers: Creative Uses For These Household Cleaning Blocks That Truly Work Magic!

http://d12yt4kf6tfdaz.cloudfront.net/files/mr-clean-magic-erasers.gif?9d7bd4

http://household-tips.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/01/magic_erasers.php

Gunfixr
11-29-2012, 03:33 AM
I can think of a whole bunch of "things" I'd like to erase with those.

Taz Baby
11-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I can think of a whole bunch of "things" I'd like to erase with those.

:cool: It doesn't work on People tho, I've tried.:(

Sniper-T
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
My mother in law hit me when I tried one on her :(

Taz Baby
12-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Here is a link to How to create your own ottoman.
Posted on April 13, 2012 by bargainsadmin in Crafts, Living room

In this blog we will show you how to create or redesign your own ottoman. You can start with a junked ottoman or freshen up one of your own! In our example we took an old 1970’s era ottoman that had wooden blocks around the cushion. These are notoriously uncomfortable ottomans so we got rid of the blocks completely and started with a clean flat top piece.

Before

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DSCN1402-300x225.jpg

After

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_3617-1024x768.jpg
http://bargainsonbroadway.com/?p=515

Taz Baby
12-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Painting Clear Glass Lamps–A How to Guide.
Posted on March 10, 2012 by bargainsadmin in Crafts, Furniture decoration/design

Painting an old clear glass lamp is an excellent way to liven up your home. They provide a stunning focal point for any room and it also leaves you with a sense of pride for creating such a beautiful piece. This is a great do it yourself project that can save you money and it’s also a very simple process. Painting Clear Glass Lamps–A How to Guide.

Before

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DSCN0664-300x225.jpg

after

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DSCN0897-225x300.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What to do with an old armorer?

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5201610_f260-220x300.jpg

bargainsonbroadway.com/?p=339

Taz Baby
12-18-2012, 11:14 PM
China Cabinets and Their Unique Uses

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_2275-225x300.jpg

http://bargainsonbroadway.com/?p=302

Taz Baby
12-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Seriously clever! A headlamp around a gallon of water = ambient light for your tent and a great night lamp when the power is out.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576661_10150870209437436_2118758283_n.jpg