PDA

View Full Version : My POS Radio broke.

AlphaTea
11-03-2012, 09:20 AM
A few weeks ago I got to try out my Emergency radio.
This was before Hurricane Sandy. A squirrel decided to investigate a transformer down the street.
Anyway, everything was dark. I could not find any info on my phone so I thought I would break out the radio.
Now this is a work of art. Solar/Battery/Crank and about a dozen bands to try to find something to listen to.
I usually left it in a window with the solar cell facing out so it would always be charged.
Well, this part of NY dont get much sunlight and the rechargeables in it were dead real quick. The AA batterys worked fine but I wanted to try out the crank.
About 5 revs into it the crank shears off right at the joint on the radio. Cheap ass POS.
It still works except for not being able to crank-charge it.
I can probably get it to crank with some minor surgery, but i never have been really happy with this particualr model.
It is a Kaito but doesnt have a model number on it.
Anybody got a recommendation on a good one for less than an arm and a leg?

AlphaTea
11-06-2012, 05:30 AM
anybody?

FL-Jeeper
11-07-2012, 02:42 AM
I've had an Eton Scorpion for several years. It seems well built and while I don't use it often, every time I've needed it, it's worked. I don't know where their manufacturing facilities are but everything on their site points to a US company. Bonus!

The Stig
11-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Alpha....it wasn't THIS (http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CM%20R975_A_name_E_Kaito%C2%AE% 20Green%20Voyager%E2%84%A2) one was it?

Because if it was I might be of little use to you. :(

(That's the one we have. We've had good luck with it so far. Have probably cranked it up 2 or 3 times total and so far so good.)

AlphaTea
11-13-2012, 10:40 AM
That is a KA500. Better radio than mine
Mine is a KA009 has (had) the crank on the back under the solar panel. Never did pick up the local channels very well either.
I think I want something a little more rugged this time