PDA

View Full Version : Need great recipe for cooking Venison!

Willie51
11-04-2012, 01:53 AM
My friend gave me a front shoulder of a large doe he killed this weekend while bow hunting. We are doing the cooking this year for our family at Thanksgiving and I am looking for a tasty new recipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know my Ant family here has the best recipes on earth, so I would love to hear from you all if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks. :)

Evolver
11-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I've never cooked the whole shoulder before but this looks like it would be a good one. :)

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2009/11/venison-recipe-chef-john-beshs-roasted-venison-shoulder

Venison:
1 shoulder of venison
1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
2 onions, diced small
1 carrot, peeled and diced small
1 celery stalk, diced small
1⁄4 cup all- purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 apples, any type, cored and diced
2 oz. dried porcini or chanterelle mushrooms
2 cups beef broth
1 cup apple juice
1 cup red wine
1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 sprig rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 dash sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Venison:
1. Season venison shoulder with salt and pepper. Over high heat, add bacon drippings to pot, then brown venison on both sides.

2. Remove venison, then add onion, carrot, and celery. Reduce heat to medium and stir while cooking, until vegetables have become mahogany in color. Then stir in flour. When flour has been well incorporated, add garlic, tomato, apple, and dried mushroom.

3. Let mixture come to a boil before slowly stirring in beef broth, apple juice, and red wine. Raise heat to high and bring it to a boil again. Add thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, sugar, and venison shoulder.

4. Reduce heat to a low simmer, and cover pot. Cook for 2 hours, or until meat begins to pull from the bone with a fork. Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper as needed.

5. Remove from heat. Take out venison shoulder and carefully pull meat from the bone. Return meat to the cooking liquid until ready to serve.

Willie51
11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Evolver, thanks sir. This one looks very good and I will try it out and let you know how it turns out.

Sniper-T
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
The only way I have done an entire shoulder is to give it a good spice rub, and then smoke it slow. basting often with a mix of spices, wine and pop. turns out like a pulled pork.

If you were just doing a roast and had a crock pot big enough for it, I could toss up a couple recipes for that

Willie51
11-06-2012, 01:36 AM
SniperT, My original plan was to cook it in a crock pot but it was too big to fit. I have a big turkey roaster I could also use. Songbird thinks we can saw off some of the bone and get it in our largest crock pot, so shoot me the recipes if you don't mind. I have another smaller roast in addition to the shoulder, so I can use Evolver's recipe on the smaller piece. Thanks buddy.

Sniper-T
11-06-2012, 11:55 AM
np.
This is my wife's favourite:

give it a rub with some spices (montreal Steak, garlic, onion, chili)
leave it wrapped in fridge overnight
pan sear to lock in juices
drop in crock pot and fill spaces with onions, celery, carrots.
pour in some clamato juice, and gingerale (1/2 of each to just cover the meat).
put it on low and leave it for 8 hours.
stir once, flip it over, and leave it for another hour or so.

Use a serrated knife to cut it, or it'll just fall to pcs.

serve over mashed potatoes.

Another:
break up and deskin about 6 cloves of garlic.
use a paring knife or fillet knife and stab the roast, push the garlic clove inside (some deep, some shallow). use enough to have a good representation.
give it a rub down with garlic and onion powder. wrap and refrigerate overnight.
quick pan sear, toss in crockpot with the usual veggies
add 1/2 cup white wine, 1 cup 7-up, mix a standard packet of onion soup in enough water to cover the meat, and then pour it over top.
cook on low all day

Another:
rub it down with Spanish seasonings (paprica, taco, etc), let sit over night
pan sear, then drop in crock with onions, peppers, chilis, a large can of tomatoes, and top off with tomatoe juice.
the bell peppers will cook down to basically sauce, so the first one home will dice up some more and add them in the last hour. They'll soften some, but still have a snap to them. serve over rice

Willie51
11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
^Hey buddy, those look awesome! Thank you . :o

Evolver
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Ditto^^^ :)

Taz Baby
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
I also put this in the free kindle section.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61JnSmhXSTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007L97HCW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007L97HCW&linkCode=as2&tag=httphomest0d0-20

Sniper-T
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
How did it turn out Willie?