PDA

View Full Version : The "recycling" thread

beginner
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I got this idea because of the bacon fat thread. Since I joined prepping forums I found a few new ways to "recycle" certain items I used to throw away. So, post up some stuff that most would throw away and state what you can use it for to give us some ideas.

I'll start....

Dryer Lint.... to use as tinder....

alaska
05-17-2011, 10:24 PM
empty dog food bags. can be used as cheap insulation inbetween walls of a dog house, chicken coup

RedJohn
05-18-2011, 08:00 AM
You guys rock. I did not think about any of these uses. Our elders barely threw anything out. This thread is going to be interesting.

alaska
05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
you can do a whole thread on just plastic grocery bags.
shoe liners in wet conditions
Easy to use to pick up dog poo with

I have seen "mats" woven from bread bags

shredded newspaper can be used as mulch when starting seeds. Helps hold in the moisture.

izzyscout21
05-18-2011, 04:56 PM
butter tubs!!
old birthday and Christmas wrapping paper makes fires start and insulation

RedJohn
05-18-2011, 06:06 PM
To clean you windows, take a newspaper page, wet it down and just rub your windows for a clean, no soap result.

alaska
05-18-2011, 06:39 PM
cool whip containers= Red neck salad bowls

bacpacker
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Newspaper also can be used to make seed starter pots from. Liner for the chicken brooder, then mulch.
Persciption pill boittles= containers for screws, seeds, nails, electronic components.
Empty coffee cans= great storage for bulk seed storage.
Yard clippings= great mulch around the plants in the garden this year, dirt next year.

beginner
05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
you can do a whole thread on just plastic grocery bags.

Easy to use to pick up dog poo with

I do that..... Hmm.. rather than throw out the dog poo could you use it as compost or fertilizer? :p

butter tubs!!
old birthday and Christmas wrapping paper makes fires start and insulation
I never eat the end off my loaves of bread. Instead I rip em up into little chunks, throw em into butter tubs and chunck em in the freezer. I'll either use them for croutons or to feed birds. In a SHTF scenario, I could shoot the birds after I lure em in and eat em! :P

LUNCHBOX
05-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I use my empty feed bags (these are the nylon type bags) as insulation for my chicken coup and hog house.

I went around town and would collect skids and use them for free fencing for my hogs. I would just keep attaching them together until I came full circle-(square)....made the pig house with the skids and bags and with the 6 hogs, they were quit warm.

I re-use the nylon cord off my hay bales to tie up numerous things.

pitbullnga
07-15-2011, 07:03 AM
i use pallets, knock all the slates out except for the end ones and stack 2 pallets together for a quick raised bed garden plot that can be moved to a different area depending on the growing season.