PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new pack?

ghost1227
11-07-2012, 03:28 AM
So I'll keep this short and sweet. I've been using my old ALICE pack as my BOB for a long time, but for various reasons I'm looking for a replacement. TBH, it's been around the block a few times, and isn't in the best condition, and I'd like something a little larger. I've heard good things (including from this community) about the packs from Kifaru, but I'm a bit hesitant to purchase one for one simple reason... pockets! I've grown accustomed to the easy access and organization afforded by the pockets on my ALICE pack, and I'm a bit nervous about losing them. Thoughts? Additionally, are there other manufacturers that the community highly recommends?

Gunfixr
11-07-2012, 03:38 AM
London Bridge Trading makes good stuff.
I have a nice one by them, but it's a bit smaller than the med ALICE. Since I have a messed up back as well as knees, I cannot carry a full pack of any serious size.

ak474u
11-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Eberlestock has some nice packs, and they have accessory bags that double the size of some of them, as well as integrated rifle sleeves in some models. I'd have one, but the one I had my heart set on had a fatal flaw for me, the hip belt didn't ride where I needed it to be comfortable. I ended up with a Maxpedition.

ghost1227
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Eberlestock has some nice packs, and they have accessory bags that double the size of some of them, as well as integrated rifle sleeves in some models. I'd have one, but the one I had my heart set on had a fatal flaw for me, the hip belt didn't ride where I needed it to be comfortable. I ended up with a Maxpedition.

Oooh... I hadn't seen them yet. They do have some nice ones. The integrated rifle sleeves don't much appeal to me. I'm carrying two handguns, a Springfield XD Service (9mm) and a Kimber Tactical Pro II (.45ACP) primarily for personal protection. I prefer the sustainability and silence afforded a bow for hunting. I can restring a bow or fletch an arrow fairly easily on the go, and I do carry the essentials for doing both... worst case scenario I can actually make a whole new bow (granted it wouldn't be a compound bow... that just means it takes a little more skill and practice!). Still, their packs are worth checking out!

ghost1227
11-07-2012, 03:19 PM
One more thought for anyone with advice... I have a MSS (Modular Sleeping System) that I've always kept in a compression sack strapped to the bottom of my ALICE pack. Packs that have somewhere that's more secure to store this would not be amiss!

apssbc
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Ive had a multitude of packs. Started with an alice, moved to a condor (which I hated), then to a Kelty Eagle 7850 pack which was nice but I had a tendency to overload it. Ive resorted back to my Alice. It fits well, carries over my armor great, and due to the way I pack it is big enough for me.

The Stig
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
London Bridge Trading makes good stuff.
I have a nice one by them, but it's a bit smaller than the med ALICE. Since I have a messed up back as well as knees, I cannot carry a full pack of any serious size.

Have to second LBTC on this. You can pick up their Ranger Pack used for $100 to $150 if you look around. It's their version of a "3 day pack" but is built like a tank, has a bunch of molle and pockets and you can even get the "jump-able version" in the event you want to get your Airborne on. (honestly, being a fat, middle aged sales guy, I don't know what makes a backpack "jumpable" other than I'm assuming it's more rugged and has devices to keep the thing from opening up when the chute opens?).

Anyway, I'm on a massive LBTC kick right now but for my purposes (remember, mission drives the gear) they are great.

Grey Ghost Outlet occasionally has really good deals on Tactical Tailor gear which is also good quality. HERE (http://www.greyghostgear.com/packs/legacy-three-day-pack-2) is an interesting one.

greg48
11-29-2012, 10:40 AM
go with the large alice pack, you can add pouches to it, it's durable and they are priced good since the army has switched systems, i myself prefer the alice system over the current army pack carry syatem.