PDA

View Full Version : Food trials

LUNCHBOX
05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I did this for myself and do not ask or request anyone else to try this....that being said.

I, as most of you rotate my can goods to keep them fresh and properly dated. Well last year I set aside hale a dozen different types of food to check out flavors and see if they bothered me in any way. All six cans were a least four to six months past the expiration date. I had one of each::::tuna, chicken noodle soup, chili w/beans, corn, green beans, mixed fruit. I gave myself three days between each can to see what happened and here is how it went..........I never noticed anything different with myself after eating them. The tuna, corn, green beans all were fine. The chicken noodle soup broth seemed thicker but fine. The fruit seemed softer (may have just been the canning) but fine. The chili was fine but there was higher gas affect on me. I left the name brands off the list on purpose, some were and some were store brands.

I don't really know why I tried this but it struck me as kind-of a good idea last year.

RedJohn
05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I have eaten expired cans many times. The key is to look at the can. If banged, look for rust inside. if rusted then discard. Also look at the shape, if the can look burst then discard too, when you open if you ear a pssst or something discard too. Otherwise, ENJOY!

I recently had an almost 10 years old sardines in oil can and they were delicious.

LUNCHBOX
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
RJ, thats extreme...I don't like sardines fresh----lol.

RedJohn
05-19-2011, 11:51 PM
RJ, thats extreme...I don't like marines fresh----lol.

The guy I had the sardines with does that all the time because he finds them better tasting. I am not saying better, but I am saying very good. I did not believe him either until he showed me the can.

alaska
05-20-2011, 12:23 AM
thats assuming ya like em to begin with:P

Twitchy
05-20-2011, 02:43 AM
pansies... nothing better than a sardine in mustard sandwich! The ultimate survival test! (Yes, I love them :D)