PDA

View Full Version : What are you carrying for cold weather gear?

Echo2
11-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Let's say you are out and about....and "Oh crap"...Now you're going to have to either spend a good long while out in the cold.....or hoof it in the cold.

What is in your kit to make it more comfortable.....if not save your life?

I have....

1 pr insulated Wolverine boots and a couple pr wool socks.

1 pr insulated Carhart bib overalls.

1 pr sweat pants

1 long sweatshirt

1 Carhart insulated zip up hoody

1 "3-n-1" clava

1 microflese pullover

1 gortex camo parka

1 tee shirt

1 extra undies

1 pr gloves

1 pr glove liners

I ask due to the fact I just repacked my kit....instead of having a pile of stuff just thrown in the vehicle.

What do you have in yours?

GunnerMax
11-11-2012, 12:32 AM
In my truck at all times, or on me of I'm not in my truck is a 3L camelbak and a goretex coat with fleece, and gloves. Now with the weather cold, I have a balaclava and wool cap also. I wear camo top and bottoms, with tee shirt, great boots, socks, boxers, poly pro long john top and bottoms. Toasty warm and dry all day

The Stig
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
While our cold weather gear has changed somewhat from when we were up North, we still have "cold weather kits" in the cars starting in winter.

They include boots, gloves, hats, scarves, synthetic long-johns and a fleece blanket.

mitunnelrat
11-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Well, I've been lax this year, and don't have it all loaded yet, but...

Every component of my USGI MSS is packed and ready on my BOB.

Since I have a new pack I'm likely to add a pair of winter boots to it for the first time ever this year. Polypro's, a ski mask and wool glove liners are also part of the winter BOB gear.

I should probably get some of those chemical hand warmers again. I liked those when I used them before, and the could prove invaluable in regaining the needed dexterity to light a fire in extreme cold.

My car gets a snow shovel and window scraper, wool hat/ scarf, and insulated gloves/ coveralls/ boots.

I'm debating on whether or not to keep my snow shoes and ski poles in the car as well.

If conditions aren't wet I keep my goretex in the car rather than wear it. I've found my fleece jacket works pretty well on its own for EDC use.

I think that about covers it.

izzyscout21
11-18-2012, 04:50 PM
ORC Level 7 PCU Top and Bottoms. It's like the Wearable version of the sleep system.............

Stormfeather
11-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Im packing a extra 20 pounds of blubber. . .Im using the whale technique.

Sniper-T
11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Very little really... in the winter, I'm wearing my cold weather kit. In my truck, I do keep a pair of hiking boots, socks, t-shirt insulated pants, toque and gloves. But that is all redundant, as I wear the same thing. In addition, I also wear 2 jackets (rather than one heavy one)

The Stig
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Im packing a extra 20 pounds of blubber. . .Im using the whale technique.

It can never be left behind, forgotten or removed by accident and not replaced. Very tactical. And the color is not entirely unlike FDE.

Marthony
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I've been meaning to rethink & repack my vehicles items but haven't gotten to it yet. While presently well contained, if I had to abandon my vehicle it would be cumbersome to grab & go in a hurry. Anyway, I presently carry:

Steel-toe insulated rubber boots (-30C)
Wool socks, sport socks, toque, wind pants
A few sets gloves - basic leather work gloves & insulated driving gloves (good to about -10)
Snow shoes & hiking poles
Garden spade shovel
Splitting axe
Sierra folding saw
Sleeping bag
9x9' tarp
Pair of insulating rubber mats
Collapsed cardboard box
Tool kit, tire pressure gauge, measuring tape, small flashlight
6V flashlight
Bucket
12V air compressor
300W powerpack
Les Stroud's survival book
Pop bottle of coolant, windshield washer fluid
Large-mouth juice bottle, um, urinal
A few 2x4's
First aid kit
De-icing spray (don't use on a chipped/cracked windshield..!)
Duct & electrical tape
Reflective vest
Tow rope
(vehicle's manual, jack & related tools)
WD-40
Lock de-icer
1 unit of gas line antifreeze
Paper towels
Fire/heat kit, including lighters, various types of matches, fire paste, sterno, candles, hand/foot chemical warmers.
Mylar emergency blanket
Box of misc. Cliff bars
3-4 500ml bottles of water (1L thermos of hot water IF I know I'm going somewhere iffy)
Water purification tablets
Garbage bags
Spare 6V battery, 4xAA's, 4xAAA's.
(misc cords to charge electronics from 12V socket/powerpack)
GPS

Ideally I'd like to repack this load from the existing tupperware unit+sleeping bag+shovels+tarp etc. into a vehicle-related bin as well as an 'Abort!' grab bag. Trouble is, there isn't much extra space in the back of a 1st generation Rav4..!