PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo Channel

robsdak
11-14-2012, 12:05 AM
has anyone ever seen this program?

i saw a commercial for it and had to add the channel to my package. i thought it was a completely different show... some of it is informational,comical, plain stupid and strange.

just my thoughts on the subject.... i wouldn't share any info about me, my preps or location on national tv. makes me scratch my head and go 'huh, really'.

xusualsuspectx
11-14-2012, 12:09 AM
In my opinion it makes preppers look a little crazy. I agree tht the people on the show have given up most if not all of their security.

bacpacker
11-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I watch it strictly looking for ideas I can use for myself.

ladyhk13
11-14-2012, 01:49 AM
We watched an episode the other night about a family and the husband ran a drill to get them all out of the house and out of town within a certain time to include a portable chicken coop that they loaded up with all of their chickens in. He had some friends create a roadblock where they were "scanned" for hazmat and had some of them strip down and scrub....
Then they scored them on their preparadness but they really didn't score as well as I thought they would. Some other people that were scored were much less organized than these people so I think it's subjective. Not sure if it was Doomsday Preppers but I thought it was something like that.

RedJohn
11-14-2012, 07:56 AM
has anyone ever seen this program?

http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2500-NG-Doomsday-Preppers

robsdak
11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2500-NG-Doomsday-Preppers

i hope that series is better than this one. i am finding this one to be for lack of a better word 'comical'.

RedJohn
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
i hope that series is better than this one. i am finding this one to be for lack of a better word 'comical'.

It must be the same one.

prepguide
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I cordially detest this show. As a prep consultant I see those on the show often doing things that I specifically work with my clients on NOT doing. Such as here I am, here's what I what, here's where I live and the show imo often is edited to show the preppers in a less than positive light.

robsdak
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I cordially detest this show. As a prep consultant I see those on the show often doing things that I specifically work with my clients on NOT doing. Such as here I am, here's what I what, here's where I live and the show imo often is edited to show the preppers in a less than positive light.

yep, that's how i see them. some go to an extreme, but telling national tv your business, come on really.... me i am just a 'poor old country boy' just getting by.

carolinasurvivalist
11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah this is the second season. I for one think it puts a negative light on prepping and portrays preppers as lunatics. But that's what makes it entertaining to the masses of sheep I guess. Still remember the episode from the first season when the father had his two sons out shooting in the desert and he nearly blew his own thumb off...

mitunnelrat
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I believe he was on again last night for this new season. A pop up mentioned the progress of his recovery.

Evolver
11-15-2012, 12:01 AM
LOL Justa and I are going to start showing our house because we're moving to Utah so the people that are going to be walking threw... will be seeing it ALL!!! We had a laugh the other night when we were talking about what is going to be the first thing that people think? ... These guys are like them doomsday peppers on TV!!! They have all that food storage, Garden and them rain barrel thingies!!!

This could go one of two ways... My hope is that someone like minded sees what we have done here and appreciates the place and snatches it right up but on the other hand it might be... we aren't interested because you guys are wacko. :)

ladyhk13
11-15-2012, 05:49 AM
That's too funny! We just put our house on the market last week and will be going through the exact same thing! Good luck with your sale - I hope it goes quickly and you get your price.

rentprop1
11-16-2012, 02:48 AM
we tried to sell out house for the last 2 years, I have 3 gun safes, in addition to out preps in the closets, so I was very concerned about who would be viewing your home, make sure you don't let a Realtor talk you into an open house, only your neighbors will show up........have the Realtor pre qualify anyone and make sure you are home for the showings, it goes against every rule about selling your home and leaving it to make the buyers feel more at ease, but I wanted to check out who was looking at what.......

Evolver
11-16-2012, 11:48 AM
we tried to sell out house for the last 2 years, I have 3 gun safes, in addition to out preps in the closets, so I was very concerned about who would be viewing your home, make sure you don't let a Realtor talk you into an open house, only your neighbors will show up........have the Realtor pre qualify anyone and make sure you are home for the showings, it goes against every rule about selling your home and leaving it to make the buyers feel more at ease, but I wanted to check out who was looking at what.......

Thanks for the pointers RP.

TEOTWAWKI13
11-16-2012, 02:52 PM

How does one go about being a prep consultant? Serious question. I've helped a few close friends, and think it would be a good entrepeneurial adventure (I just misspelled the hell out of entrepeneurial I think).

rentprop1
11-18-2012, 03:08 AM
How does one go about being a prep consultant? Serious question. I've helped a few close friends, and think it would be a good entrepeneurial adventure (I just misspelled the hell out of entrepeneurial I think).

no offense to the prep consultant, but I think its the same as the guy who really likes guns and teaches a friend, then thinks he's qualified to teach a tactical class
if you are making money telling others about prepping I'll bow down, but I've been struggling to get like minded folks together for meetings and discussions in my area for over a year, even had 2 gatherings with informative discussions and a guest speaker, I seriously doubt one of them would pay to learn

2die4
01-01-2013, 05:37 AM
This is more of a rant than anything, THIS SHOW IS SO STUPID! Just finished watching a few episodes of Season 2 and it seems to me NatGeo is actively going out of its way to portray preppers as loons and sociopaths. The two that got my eye twitching uncontrollably was the 15 year old kid who "preps" and the retard that dragged the poor Colombian woman thousands of miles to America and expects her to get into the prepping mindset. Just utter madness. Anyway, I am just glad to know the ones that are truly prepared, treat this lifestyle like Fightclub. YOU"RE NOT SUPPOSE TO TALK ABOUT IT! -end rant-

Katrina
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I watch to get some hints but gotta tell you had the family over Christmas and I did show my BIL's and SIL the second storage. One of them made crack about being a survivalist but I told him NO I'm a couponer and I wanted to get ahead of the time when I retire and have limited income. As he JUST got a job after 3 years being unemployed, he thought about it and congratulated me on thinking ahead. Told me and his brother, the hubs, that the hubs married a very smart woman. He wants me to show him how to "refine" his couponing and storage. I just might have a convert on my side WHOO HOO! Time will tell

robsdak
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
This is more of a rant than anything, THIS SHOW IS SO STUPID! Just finished watching a few episodes of Season 2 and it seems to me NatGeo is actively going out of its way to portray preppers as loons and sociopaths. The two that got my eye twitching uncontrollably was the 15 year old kid who "preps" and the retard that dragged the poor Colombian woman thousands of miles to America and expects her to get into the prepping mindset. Just utter madness. Anyway, I am just glad to know the ones that are truly prepared, treat this lifestyle like Fightclub. YOU"RE NOT SUPPOSE TO TALK ABOUT IT! -end rant-

i thought it was going to be a good show, i had never seen or heard about it. i was scanning channels and came across a commercial about it. called the Cable Co. and added the channel block. what did come from it was the Science Ch. and NatGeo shows Alaska State Troopers.

prepper, not me. i am just here for the popcorn and friendly faces.:)

bacpacker
01-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Katrina, That is a great way to start working folks into it a little at a time. Before they know it, they are seeing all the benifits.

Katrina
01-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Thanks BP, I'm just hoping I can get the rest of the family to at least start thinking about preparing for the future in a more practical way.

apssbc
11-13-2013, 01:19 AM
So this is a necro post but I think it is important. I only watch this show to poke hole in other peoples plans and learn from their mistakes.

But today on season 3 episode 7 they have turned a new leaf. This guy actually put together a group of people with the sole purpose of marauding and taking others supplies. I'm irritated as hell watching this and I want to shoot him in his fat face.

However he states he's been watching doomsday preppers from the beginning to develop plans to steal from others. I highly recommend you watch this episode. I never expected to hear someone organizing and planning to sustain themselves off our stuff. I always just figured it would be spontaneous groups of knuckle draggers especially in the beginning.

One thing I noticed was that the group looked like you typical obese, lazy, criminal types you see in mug shots. Which makes them easier targets.

Something to think about is how to deal with someone who has planned and organized a group of undesirables to prepare to try and take our stuff. We prepare for defense but these guys are doing the same thing pre SHTF with the sole purpose of offense.

I feel like my defense preps can handle any threat. I just hate seeing a group building armor and scoping out properties to loot.

What do you all think? Or am I just rambling and it dosent change much?

helomech
11-13-2013, 01:24 AM
So this is a necro post but I think it is important. I only watch this show to poke hole in other peoples plans and learn from their mistakes.

But today on season 3 episode 7 they have turned a new leaf. This guy actually put together a group of people with the sole purpose of marauding and taking others supplies. I'm irritated as hell watching this and I want to shoot him in his fat face.

However he states he's been watching doomsday preppers from the beginning to develop plans to steal from others. I highly recommend you watch this episode. I never expected to hear someone organizing and planning to sustain themselves off our stuff. I always just figured it would be spontaneous groups of knuckle draggers especially in the beginning.

One thing I noticed was that the group looked like you typical obese, lazy, criminal types you see in mug shots. Which makes them easier targets.

Something to think about is how to deal with someone who has planned and organized a group of undesirables to prepare to try and take our stuff. We prepare for defense but these guys are doing the same thing pre SHTF with the sole purpose of offense.

I feel like my defense preps can handle any threat. I just hate seeing a group building armor and scoping out properties to loot.

What do you all think? Or am I just rambling and it dosent change much?

By the time he walks his fat Arse up hill for 4 miles he wont be in any shape to do anything when he reaches my house. Heck I need dog food and he would work just fine for that.

apssbc
11-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Groups like him don't worry me as much as the other type that's out there. In shape, well equipped, well organized. Which just reinforces the fact that we can't survive by ourselves and that we need to organize and build communities of like minded decent folk as quick as possible.

Hell I think he could feed a pack of dogs for a while ;)

bacpacker
11-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Is season three the one that is on right now? I have some episodes on the DVR I haven't watched, hopefully its one of those.

IMO this is just a different take on the gangbangers, maybe to a different level, but very similar.One more thing to consider and that list just keeps getting longer and longer.

apssbc
11-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Yes it's the season that's on now. Two totally different personalities on this show. They are gangbangers just a little more organized ahead of time I guess. I know this group would be an easily removed threat due to the physical shape and clear lack of intelligence of them. It's other groups that would be a little more difficult to combat.

Katrina
11-13-2013, 02:53 AM
I just watched the show with that scumbag who's planning on killing and stealing others preps. Guess who will get clobbered first by the well organized and IN SHAPE marauders, who've probably watched the show and put him on a list? Nothing like advertising one's stupidity. That makes me so angry, I'm trying to pull together my family and friends and Nat Geo goes and shows idiots like him. With the exception of one brother (who's prepping) the rest of the family literally think I am crazy. Oh well I've NEVER claimed to be sane

Alas Babylon
11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
The raider ticked me off as well. What an arse. I had the same thoughts; he wont make it too far with his cumbersome homemade armour, and what appears to be lower than average intelligence. I think he may under-estimate his victims (preppers) if he thinks we are just going to be sleeping in our beds all night with no concern or defense.
Does make me wonder hom many more like him are out there, lurking on forums and scoping out poeple to put on a list. It's a good reminder to keep vital info to oneself.

2die4
11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Him being Fat, stupid, and armed may seem laughable but the cause of concern is that he has people listening to him. Paying him dues. One overweight untrained armed idiot is one thing but how dangerous is a hundred overweight untrained ARMED idiots?

Good god. This whole show makes my opsec nerve twitch uncontrollably.:mad:

ElevenBravo
11-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Im not a prepper, Im a survivalist... old school from the 80's.

I dont have cammo curtains in the living room nor do I dress tacticool for a trip to Kroger... My survivalist posture is in my heart and mind.

That said, the show makes survivalist and preppers look like a bunch of idiots, it did more harm than good for "our" image. Half of them needed to be on meds, the other half likely missed there daily daily.

EB

bacpacker
11-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I think the guy is a moron. His wife even more so. Why the hell would she consider letting him perform surgery on her? His outlook is moronic. With the land and stuff he has to work with, and effort (which it appears he don't like), he could have a nice set up. The way he wants to operate he's just gonna kill a bunch of folks including himself.

The other guy in Costa Rica, has a good plan, but seems lacking in defensive measures. it also didn't show much about ability or capability to make/repair anything much. Maybe it just didn't go into that aspect.

One thing that has always struck me as strange, there are almost no one that has any methods of comm's. While not the top priority, it is very important.

Stormfeather
11-14-2013, 03:18 AM
I had to chuckle a little bit about it, having heard about it beforehand from the folks over at ArfCom. They literally have a 20 page thread regarding this guy, they've outted litterally every aspect of his life, and none of it is impressive by any stretch! Check the thread listed below for some SERIOUS laughter action! From Haiku's to meme's, his 3 fight stint as a professional MMA fighter, (his longest fight lasted 37 seconds, and he lost that one too!) to his physical location, to theyve got it all on this guy!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1555870_Doomsday_Prepper___We_re_not_in_it_to_stoc kpile__We_re_in_it_to_take_what_you_have_.html

Needless to say, I wouldnt get too worried about this guy, but smart money says that there are other people out there who also have this mindset and think it will actually work.

ElevenBravo
11-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the ARF link SF, I needed a good laugh!!!

EB

izzyscout21
11-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Those of you that may have gotten irritated or upset at this dude, I ask: Why?

Going around with the belief that everyone is like us is naive.
Not recognizing and preparing for people like this is naive.
If you believe that there are not many, many more people in the prepper community like this dude, you are a fool.

For every one of us, there are 10 like him.

Possom
11-14-2013, 09:30 PM
To add to izzys post. When shtf not only do you have to be prepared with defensive gear to repel someone like this but you also have to be prepared to use that gear. Both mentally and physically if you are unable to take that step then all that gear is for not.

Buying a weapon is one thing. Being proficient with your weapon is another. When I buy a new weapon I don't trust it until I have run at least 500 rounds through it and tested its metal.

Stg1swret
11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Just caught the episode on On-Demand. The fat tub of lard would have a coronary running across my parking lot. He might last one house.

apssbc
11-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Agree with everything everyone has said. I fully expect marauders, I guess I just never expected them to devote much pre planning to the process. I expected groups of marauders to come together post SHTF. Drawn together by some super shithead telekinesis or something.

Just seems easier and safer to me to actually prep. All that time spent planning to take from others could easily be spent preparing. Plus your not putting your family at risk.

Obviously I was wrong however it doesn't change my defense plans much.

izzyscout21
11-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Just caught the episode on On-Demand. The fat tub of lard would have a coronary running across my parking lot. He might last one house.

Just put at least 3 steps in front of all your doors....... Itd be like Point Du Hoc for him......

izzyscout21
11-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Another thought is this:

Think of how many people that have his mindset are actually in shape, well armed, and well trained.

Not every goon post SHTF will be a common FSA street thug.

bacpacker
11-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Agree with everything everyone has said. I fully expect marauders, I guess I just never expected them to devote much pre planning to the process. I expected groups of marauders to come together post SHTF. Drawn together by some super shithead telekinesis or something.
Obviously I was wrong however it doesn't change my defense plans much.

This is pretty much where I am. I don't live far enough out to hope to avoid some of the masses making it here. So I fully expect to have to defend what's our's. I hadn't really given a lot of thought to them planning on folks to hit, more like just hitting what ever they come across. Over all though, the only changes to me is watching Op-Sec even more closely. And trying to work with some neighbors a little more closely.

helomech
11-15-2013, 01:04 AM
If anything happens I will make my road in impassable for about 4 miles. After that point people will have to walk up a very long dirt road with nothing on it. Then they get to my gate after that point I will have plenty of booby traps from holes with spikes in them to british ground spikes and everything in between for the next half mile. Then they will have to deal with my dogs, then we will have to defend past that point. I already have plenty of booby traps ready to set. There is no town about 20k people within a hour of me by car. Closest town is only 300 people, next town is 7k people then one of about 18k. I don't see any hoards of people making it out to my deserted dirt road.