PDA

View Full Version : You land nav guys ever use a wrist compass?

Echo2
11-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I got this put together....Sunto M-9 and a Zulu Maratac band. Very accurate and quite comfortable.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/wristcompass.jpg

Don't think it will replace my MilSpec Tritium for shooting locations.....but for basic bearings I think it will work fine.

Total cost was just over $30.

mitunnelrat
11-15-2012, 04:03 AM
As a matter of fact... Yes, I just added one pretty recently. I glued a button compass to a strap keeper (proper terminology?) and slid it over my watch band
http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2082-Fun-with-Paracord?p=46530&viewfull=1#post46530

Echo2
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Sweet....any issues with the watch so close?.....how accurate...degree wise?

mitunnelrat
11-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I didn't use it for anything more than general direction finding, and I'd pull it down by the plastic buckle when I did that.

It was a good idea I think, but it didn't stand up to hard use on a cross country through the worst available terrain in my area. I lost it somewhere on a ridge or in a ravine.

I'm just happy I had a man-made terrain feature to follow after that. I could have lost an entire day working my way out of there but for that.

NWPilgrim
11-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I've used the Little Suunto button compass that goes on a watch band. Useful for busting through brush when I want to take frequent beatings but not have my maim compass out where it can get snagged and lost. I found even general direction (N, NW, W, etc) was OK for 15-20 mins at a time. Then pause for a sip of water and check my large compass and map for exact position, heading and landmarks.

Sniper-T
11-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Nope! I got some weird electro chemistry in my body. I cannot wear a watch, or it'll stop, or the hands will start spinning randomly. Unless it is a good compass, if I lay it on my wrist, it'll pin down to my arm. When I am out hunting, I have gotten in the habit of putting my compas down on a log or tree stum and stepping a couple feet away to take a bearing.

With many of the cheap compasses (dollar store), according to them... I am magnetic North! lol

mitunnelrat
11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Iron man? Is that you?

Sniper-T
11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking Magneto. lol

Gunfixr
11-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I acquired a USGI pilots wrist compass not too long ago, but I haven't used it.

triggertime
11-21-2012, 04:02 AM
The wrist compasses are great for a quick reference or if you just need to go in a general direction. I rocked one in Iraq and Afghanistan but always had my lensatic handy

izzyscout21
11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
I never used a wrist compass, but had a lensatic handy. Sported a Garmin Foretrex 101 as well. Don't know what ever happened to that after I got flown out...........