PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

Gunfixr
11-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Anybody putting up batteries?
Not car batteries, but the ones we use in everyday items, like AAs, AAAs, CR123s, etc.
Of course, if it were to really go bad, and factory production were to grind to a halt, it could be years before things like batteries were to be made again. Therefore, you could never really store enough to last forever.
However, it would be nice to have lights, night vision (if you have it), and optics running during the "readjusting phase" to defend yourself while the "takers" are roaming around killing and pillaging. Once it all settles down and people get back to getting along and living, the "takers" will be much fewer and farther between.
At night, the headlamp is just so handy, but it needs batteries.
Also, lights and maybe toys keeps the kids settled that much longer while you get them more adapted to life without the electronic toys. They can be weaned off them, instead of quitting them cold turkey.
So I don't see batteries and the things that use them as being a "forever dependency" thing.

I'm pretty sure most here have some put away for short term times like hurricanes and such, just wondering if anybody puts any away for longer term.

Echo2
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Um....I'm gonna say yeah.....:)....a couple here and there.

The Stig
11-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Yea...we tend to pick up a pack of AA and AAA's whenever we can to keep our supply high.

I need to bump up the supplies of CR123s and the round ones that fit my Aimpoints, however. Just have a few of them laying around.

bacpacker
11-26-2012, 12:14 PM
I've been layin in AA and AAA for a while. I have a few cr123s but dont have a big need for them right now. One other type I have are the flat pack 4 & 7 amp 12volt batteries. They will run a ht radio or light for a good while and would be easy to charge with a solar panel. Batteries would fit in you back pocket.

ak474u
11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I buy CR 123s in bulk, and because I have a 2 1/2 y/o we have AAA and AA piled high. W have a pretty good rotation schedule on them too, I've only had 1 pack of AAs get to the bottom of the box, and come out of the package dead. Using a flashlight all day every day requires me to have lots of batteries around. I generally keep 50 or so CR123s in stock, I go through about 6 per month, and about 9 AAAs per month, but... If a flashlight were my only light source, that would go up exponentially, so I don't have enough for that.

cwconnertx
11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes, I have rechargeables in AA, AAA, and 123 (note the 123 are not high output, and are suitable for optics and such but not fliashlights)

I keep lithium cells in long term storage in the sames sizes.

Beyond that I have quite a number of regular alkaline in various sizes and always keep a good supply, I would probably barter those away and keep the rechargeable and lithium cells for myself. I am phasing out my alkaline cells in favor of the low self discharge NiMH re-chargeables. I am working my way up to three sets for everything I need to keep powered in an emergency situation.

I know there are alternatives, but flashlights and nightvision beat the hell out of candles and torches if you need to defend a place.

To that end I am having a solar system installed early next year (I have a small off grid system now) that can run pretty much everything but the central air and electric stove. I really want to get a generator to make sure I don't tax the batteries too much, but that may have to wait, since the grid performs that function in a grid up, its not a huge priority.

Gunfixr
11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, they'd probably make good barter items also.

You'd have to have a way to charge the rechargeables, but it sounds like you/you're getting that covered.

Couldn't barter rechargeables though, unless you can also barter a way to charge them.

robsdak
11-27-2012, 12:24 AM
yep. doing the NiMH batteries. used them in my RC's and they do very well. as far as charging goes, i have a system the works good.

rentprop1
11-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Lowes, just had the Utilitech (their brand ) of AA batteries 30 pack for $ 4 for Black Friday thru cyber Monday, I got 2 packs, we use them at work in game cameras which are used for low tech surveillance cameras till we get a budget next year ....almost everything I have read about IR game cameras is that they are high drain devices, I have had several sets of 8 batteries going for about a month at a time, we are talking about 2000 30 second videos, plus running the IR stuff at night.....I can't produce any scientific comparison, but I'd say they last as long as copertops which sell for quadruple for a name brand ....YMMV

Sniper-T
11-27-2012, 04:21 PM
anyone hear about the new Duracell batteries?
10 year shelf life guarantee

http://www.duracell.ca/en-CA/product/coppertop-alkaline-batteries.jspx

Gunfixr
11-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Some of the ones I have recently purchased are these new ones.
However, they are new, so there hasn't been time to test their theory. I use oldest ones first, so it'll be awhile before I get to them.

Sniper-T
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
A way to charge them is quite simple, depending on the size of course...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/GardenLighting/SolarGardenLights/PRDOVR~0524789P/Solar+Rocket+Light.jsp?locale=en

GunnerMax
12-08-2012, 01:07 AM
I have about 36 AA
12AAA
9D
6 CR123 batteries

This is so far, more in progress.

msomnipotent
12-08-2012, 01:50 AM
anyone hear about the new Duracell batteries?
10 year shelf life guarantee

http://www.duracell.ca/en-CA/product/coppertop-alkaline-batteries.jspx

I am missing something? It says that they last 10 years in storage*, but I can't find where they explain the asterisk. But I hit my head again today and then fell out of a tree, so maybe it right there in my face.

I buy a pack each of Costco's batteries when they go on sale, but I cleaned out the junk drawer and realized I have several years worth of 9v and D's, which will probably go bad before I use them. I have a more than average amount of rechargeable AA's and AAA's, two solar charges, a wind up thingy, and an inverter for the car. I also plan on pulling up the solar landscape lights if need be, and keep the batteries for walkie-talkies and the like.

Jimmy24
12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Yep, got some put up, but I also use a lot of them. And try my best to rotate and use them up before they reach their no-go date.

I also have a fair amount of rechargables. Two different solar chargers.

But batteries forever, nope.

Jimmy

Gunfixr
12-08-2012, 07:40 PM
The asterisk is probably a disclaimer about storage conditions. How you store them will affect how long they will keep. I would suppose you could store them in a manner that they would not last that long.
These alkaline cell batteries work by a chemical reaction. During storage, and use, the chemical reaction slowly eats up the battery internally, as the liquid component is acidic, until it will no longer make electricity. Car batteries work in much the same way, but use a liquid with dissimilar metals instead of a paste used in AAs, AAAs, etc. This is a rather simplified description, but suffices for what I need here.
Anyway, this reaction is slowed down in cooler climates, particularly with the cell batteries such as AAs, Ds, etc. This is why many people used to keep them in the refrigerator.

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
from the page in the link, scroll right to the bottom. below the copper coloured line, is the * disclaimers

Kesephist
08-02-2017, 05:22 AM
Before Heaven, why, why, why am I stuck woith all these necros...

Pipe down and get to it.

Anyway. NiMH was the top end for long duration for its day. The new kids on the block are batteries that use lithium compounds. The one most able and stable although not #1 efficient (but close) is lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4)... Mostly known as Lifepo's.

Tech side information is here...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery and I've been trying to weed thru the various vendors to avoid duplication.

The big sell is that it has a very very low shelf discharge rate and a reasonable weight advantage. That and Very old Lifepo's apparently don't corrode and be chemically hazardous... they just collapse into a rust inside the battery. ( Having to take up the excessive slack at my WM by 'helping' out the auto department, I've had to pull more than my share of batteries where ijits had yanked off battery caps, or the damned things were indeed SMOKING... and having to get the damned things out of the building and get PPE to drown the damn things in pool sized baking soda, them looking at us bovinely as we looked at them with "How in HELL did you get that out of the car and you not burned?" looks... But I digress)

Me, I'm wondering if older battery materials might be thought on for post SHTF. Allesandro Volta's voltaic pile was copper and zinc discs separated by saltwater moistened cardboard... and such an item would lend itself very well to ease of assembly and salvage. Putting a fan on the top of of the pile to vent hydrogen might make them last longer. I'm trying to remember what the old "wild West" era telegraph batteries were powered by....

K

Gunfixr
08-03-2017, 02:15 PM
As I've cut open a few lead acid car type batteries that were old, I can tell you that the metals slowly deteriorate, basically dissolving into dust that collects on the bottom.
That's why they never last but so long. Even not using them, this happens.
Once the dust pile gets high enough to touch the plates, it shorts, and it's done.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk