PDA

View Full Version : My version of Dont Ever Give Up.

Stormfeather
12-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Wanted to share this, with all the times we have had conversations regarding armed combat, its very rarely that you get a first person view of what happens, what the person goes thru, and the intensity of the whole process. This video also gives a unique perspective because it shows the good and the bad, the good showing that it is survivable, the bad, because this guy could have done a whole lot more reaction-wise after getting shot. Never give up. . .Ever. Some people when faced with adversity, just want to lay down and die. Just remember, in combat, you want to have a "shark mentality". That being, if a shark quits moving, its dead. You always want to be moving, forward, or back, but always moving. Make a decision, any decision is better than indecision. Remember, this is a trained soldier here, so imagine what the effect could be if you ran into this situation during a SHTF event with yourself, or a member of your group. Everyone reacts differently, and this is just one of the possible reactions you could experience. Take a minute to watch it, and please give me your opinions afterwards.

http://youtu.be/rLHU-_OhT8g

http://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/afghanistan-conflict/soldier-survives-taliban-machine-gun-fire/1862907412001/

Swatttc
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Well im a combat veteran. i know how terrifying it can be. Judging from how strong his call's for help were and the fact that he could bend over and reach his weapon tells me that his wound was not immediatly life threatning. After yelling he was hit several times he should have used his IFAK to control bleeding and to get to better cover. or depending on his mobility moved to better cover first then treated the wound. looked like he was still getting a lot of incoming at his postion so find a better one. SHOOT, MOVE, COMMUNICATE.

apssbc
12-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Ive seen this video a few times now. I am no expert on combat, Ive had some training, Ive been in one or two life threatening situations and have done some self aid and buddy aid. I realize everyone acts differently under stress but I picked a few areas out of this video that threw me off.

1. I know we will never know but him running down and away from his buddies but it seems like a bad idea (no cover, or gain I can see. I would like to know what he was attempting to accomplish.
2. He fumble fucked the reload pretty bad. Again Im not hot shit but I think I would just dump the mag if Im having trouble placing the empty where I want to. At that point drop the mag, grab your new one, and keep fighting.
3. When he falls things really start falling apart for him (he is obviously breathing harder and caught Hadj's attention). He sits for a little while fires a few rounds and starts moving lateral. On the first move a round or two strikes right in front of him.
4. He goes down again fires some more and the rounds are really pounding his position. Here he gets up and moves to the limited piece of cover. Then he takes the hit.
5. Throws his gun and gives up. Starts screaming for help in a exposed position and does nothing for self aid. If he can scream that well hes doing decent with no airway comprimise, and I dont see red everywhere which is a plus.
6. He picks up his gun and dosent fire back.
7. He ran off alone without backup, now he has to expose his buddies so they can come save him.

Edit: The discription and interview reads that the soldier was running to draw fire...which he succeeded in. However he got himself shot which nixes the good you were attempting to accomplish by being that guy. Now all your buddies are gonna have to come get you which is an area now bracketed by the enemy. Also he was hit 4 times. Once in the 249 tube, once in the helmet, one shot took off his eye pro and one to the armor. None injured him severly if at all, with no penetrations to the armor. He should have assessed himself and realized he was good to go.

Again Im not trying to be too critical but he put it of the internet so we need to use this as a training aid. We must pick it apart and drive into our heads what not to do in these situations. Props to this troop who has done more than mysef by joining the military glad hes alive today.

Evolver
12-06-2012, 12:58 AM
I watched this the other day and didn't quite know how to reply so I didn't. While watching my first thoughts were why in the hell is he moving forward from his location that he was in? He had no cover at and it seemed like he might be caught up in his first fire fight and might not be thinking clearly. He did have a head cam on and this kinda makes me think that his bravery trumped strategy.

Stormfeather
12-06-2012, 02:47 PM
You guys are all correct on each count.

1- shoot, move, communicate.
2- If you are going to be the point man, and try to draw fire, have a freaking plan. Know where the fire is coming from, pick a cover destination, and get your ass there.
3- When you stop, expect to draw fire, stationary targets are so much easier to hit than moving. Any shooter, novice or expert will agree to this.
4- If you are hit, self assess, fix it if you can, and move out. Sitting there screaming does nothing but draw more attention. Theres a simple mathematical formula for this. Stationary Target + Loud Screaming - Common Sense = Dead Person.
5 - If you can move, move. If you cant move, know and understand the difference between Cover and Concealment.
6- Incoming Fire ALWAYS has the right of way.
7- Theres a find line between Bravery,. . . . and STUPIDITY. Know that stupidity will almost always get you killed, and so will bravery sometimes.
8 - As a point man, theres no need to be charging headlong into fire, if you was a good point man, you would have seen them before the attack. Since the attack has already started, use your infantry skills to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy. But do it as a team, one man will never be as good as a team. Even Chuck Norris had a partner. Actions like these do nothing more than earn you a ride home in a steel flag covered box in the cargo area of a airplane.

In the end, Im glad he survived and hurt nothing more than his pride, I also hope he learned his lesson. Karma doesnt often grant second chances.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched this the other day and didn't quite know how to reply so I didn't. While watching my first thoughts were why in the hell is he moving forward from his location that he was in? He had no cover at and it seemed like he might be caught up in his first fire fight and might not be thinking clearly. He did have a head cam on and this kinda makes me think that his bravery trumped strategy.

If this was his first fire fight, he should have never been point man. If he was, it shows a lack of leadership in his command base. As a NCO, I always lead from the front. I cant expect my soldiers to do something Im not willing to do myself. This is why Im always the first one thru the door, and the point man on patrol. I am always more than willing to teach everything pertinent I know in a combat zone, thats how you make good warriors.

The Stig
12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Stormy,

This is an awesome video for our training purposes. Would you mind if I moved it to the Warrior Round Table area?

I'd comment on this guys behavior but since I am a fat nobody, who's never served, I should sit back and soak in the information regarding how to respond to an enemy attack, being wounded, etc.

As far as the reload goes? Ouch. I'm not sure of military doctrine (or his specific unit TTP) regarding mag retention but in just general terms of a reload. Damn. Placed the barrel of the rifle on the deck to stow a disposable magazine?

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us Stormy.

Gunfixr
12-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Just looking at this.
Never served myself, but even I can see he really botched the reload. He seemed to sit still a bit too long each time he stopped since he was so in the open all the time, with rounds hitting all around. He also didn't appear to be actually shooting at anything, other than a general direction. Didn't look like he even knew where the enemy was, but the enemy sure had him scope locked.
Once hit, he just chucked the rifle, but at least got it back. He got some cover, but not near enough, and then didn't return fire anymore. He just lay there and yelled, but there wasn't any blood visible, and his movement didn't seem affected.

Glad he's ok, but seemed to be as much from luck as anything else.

Stormfeather
12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Stormy,

This is an awesome video for our training purposes. Would you mind if I moved it to the Warrior Round Table area?

I'd comment on this guys behavior but since I am a fat nobody, who's never served, I should sit back and soak in the information regarding how to respond to an enemy attack, being wounded, etc.

As far as the reload goes? Ouch. I'm not sure of military doctrine (or his specific unit TTP) regarding mag retention but in just general terms of a reload. Damn. Placed the barrel of the rifle on the deck to stow a disposable magazine?

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us Stormy.

By all means, put this where you feel it fits best.
Mag retention after its empty, or if the mag is damaged, isnt really that big of a deal, as they can be readily replaced.

Gunfixr
12-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Mags might be easily replaced, or might not.
As civilians, without a logistical chain of supply, we only have what extra mags we have purchased. We may be able to "battlefield pickup" more, or not. Therefore, as we drop them, if we either cannot find them afterwards, or cannot stay around long enough to reacquire them, we will slowly run out of them.
So personally, I try to practice mag retention.
An ex-SF friend told me he did the same thing. He did it simply because so many soldiers were so quick to drop mags because they could simply get more from supply, that he had found supply to be temporarily out when he wanted more. After that, he tried to keep his.

apssbc
12-18-2012, 12:28 AM
While I agree mag retention is important for us, there is also a time and place to drop it and stop fumbling around. We need to keep our mags as best as possible, I have a dump pouch for a reason.

However if I'm taking fire the mags can go. I'm not setting my gun down to try and place the empty mag back. I am reloading, firing and moving.

Gunfixr
12-19-2012, 03:47 AM
I wasn't trying to say that the mag should be saved above all else, but at the same time, they shouldn't be automatically discarded.
There's too many places to store a mag to be setting the rifle down.

apssbc
12-19-2012, 03:52 AM
I agree 100% gunfixr. Pockets in bdu's, dump pouches ect.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-20-2012, 03:25 AM
I've looked at this couple of times now and read everyone's inputs. This kids Fubar, he did everything wrong and had no business out there and whoever his Top, NCO, Platoon/squad Ldr, or what ever it might be called in this situation should have never let this kid wander out that far with obviously no experience. First thing I noticed was he was shooting at nothing. First of all you need a target before you expend any ammunition in my outfit. The rest is all down hill from there.

The upshot......he survived. Yup good training film..........don't do anything he did.

Stormfeather
12-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I've looked at this couple of times now and read everyone's inputs. This kids Fubar, he did everything wrong and had no business out there and whoever his Top, NCO, Platoon/squad Ldr, or what ever it might be called in this situation should have never let this kid wander out that far with obviously no experience. First thing I noticed was he was shooting at nothing. First of all you need a target before you expend any ammunition in my outfit. The rest is all down hill from there.

The upshot......he survived. Yup good training film..........don't do anything he did.

He had great communication skills though. . .

Arrrgh. . . .Help. . . .Im Shot. . . . Help Me. . . .Helppppppp!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-21-2012, 01:51 AM
STFU you made me spit my food you ass!

Gunfixr
12-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah, he screamed a lot once hit.

I didn't think he was actually shooting at anything either.

izzyscout21
12-21-2012, 03:19 AM
The rocks were a threat..........

Domeguy
01-18-2013, 05:04 AM
I too had to wait awhile before I could post anything. I too have never served my time, and feel ashamed for not doing so. I know at any time in a soldiers life, he may come under fire, or be put in a situation where he or his buddies life may depend on his actions. That being said, we don't know the whole situation he has been placed into. Is this very early in his first deployment? Is this his first fire fight? Has he been awake for over 48hrs? Too much I don't know...except for one thing, he is braver on his worst day, than I ever could be on my best day. Thank you brave soldiers for making America the greatest country in the world!

ElevenBravo
01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Good presentation.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and Im sure he is re thinking a few things himself...

Now, my comments stem from a 3rd party that was not involved, so I have the easy part. Being accurate, thats not the easy part.

Casual observations from 16 years of Infantry experience, but I claim none of it to be in actual combat (I will always be honest about my service):

1) Advancing while not having cover, not smart.

2) Advancing while not having concealment, not smart.

3) Calling "Im Hit" is... Call of Duty, I think in real life we scream "MEDIC!" for priority attention.

4) The din of battle is a bitch. Calling "Im Hit" or "I need an MRE" or *anything* will almost always go un noticed due to..
the din of battle. I myself, kept a whistle with me. I think it is safe to assume, even peepz that were not Boy Scounts,
know that 3 short + 3 long + 3 short is the universal "SOS", or I need fukin help now! The sound of a whistle will out
bay the din of battle unlike a human voice which has limited volume or commanding tone. That is why... many times...
a WHISTLE is used to signal for Bravo team to shift fire while Alpha team sweeps the objective. Just a common sense
observation...

Getting hit in combat sux, not being noticed that you got hit... sux harder.

In no way are my observations intended to belittle the soldier in the video, Ive been there, in the situation
where adrenalin is in control 100% and thought process accounts for zero%. It is what it is, and shit happens.

EB

Stormfeather
01-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Good presentation.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and Im sure he is re thinking a few things himself...

Now, my comments stem from a 3rd party that was not involved, so I have the easy part. Being accurate, thats not the easy part.

Casual observations from 16 years of Infantry experience, but I claim none of it to be in actual combat (I will always be honest about my service):

1) Advancing while not having cover, not smart.

2) Advancing while not having concealment, not smart.

3) Calling "Im Hit" is... Call of Duty, I think in real life we scream "MEDIC!" for priority attention.

4) The din of battle is a bitch. Calling "Im Hit" or "I need an MRE" or *anything* will almost always go un noticed due to..
the din of battle. I myself, kept a whistle with me. I think it is safe to assume, even peepz that were not Boy Scounts,
know that 3 short + 3 long + 3 short is the universal "SOS", or I need fukin help now! The sound of a whistle will out
bay the din of battle unlike a human voice which has limited volume or commanding tone. That is why... many times...
a WHISTLE is used to signal for Bravo team to shift fire while Alpha team sweeps the objective. Just a common sense
observation...

Getting hit in combat sux, not being noticed that you got hit... sux harder.

In no way are my observations intended to belittle the soldier in the video, Ive been there, in the situation
where adrenalin is in control 100% and thought process accounts for zero%. It is what it is, and shit happens.

EB

yup. . .

ElevenBravo
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Gat dam, Im getting mad reps yo, someone agreed with what I said!

EB

mitunnelrat
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Yes, but did he "like" it? That really tells the tale. ;)

(And I can get away with asking cuz I really don't know... Tapatalk doesn't have that feature)