PDA

View Full Version : Summer Driving

The Stig
05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Anybody prepare their cars/trucks in a special way given that we're going into summertime?

Anybody have different driving habits in the summertime?

ak474u
05-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Not really just radiator drain and fill, and making sure there's always a jug of coolant/water mix on board just in case. I'm going to eventually put a spare fan that I can turn on and off with a switch because I frequently get stuck in traffic and the would like to control temps a little better when sitting still

alpmco
05-26-2011, 04:59 PM
One thing I used to tell the girls in the office every spring and summer ... remember to change the air in your tires. You have to replace the winter air with summer air. Amazing how many fell for that!

Coolant. That's funny! I have a '99 GMC truck I bought new in 1998. The first time I changed the coolant was last fall. I had 114k miles on it.

Stg1swret
05-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Only thing I do is swap out windshield wiper blades at the end of spring.

bacpacker
05-27-2011, 12:10 AM
I keep extra water with us. Esp. if going out of town. Empty out any winter stuff, shoel, cat litter, etc to reduce weight.

RedJohn
05-27-2011, 07:54 AM
In Florida, there is not much difference between winter and summer. Nothing special to do here.

The Stig
05-27-2011, 12:12 PM
In Florida, there is not much difference between winter and summer. Nothing special to do here.

Are you back in Florida now?

RedJohn
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Are you back in Florida now?

Unfortunately not yet. Here, I don't have a car, so no problems.

izzyscout21
06-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I keep extra water with us. Esp. if going out of town. Empty out any winter stuff, shoel, cat litter, etc to reduce weight.

ditto. extra water, oil, freon, and washer fluid and squeegee for all the dang bugs that I hit. My windshield looks like a modern art masterpiece during the summer. I also rotate out the food i keep in the car more frequently during the summer. I don't want to take a chance on the high temps in the car ruining the emergency food.

bacpacker
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Gotcha on the "modern art" Windshields are not clean this time of year. Good idea on swapping the food in the GHB's. I usually do that about every 3 months. May do that every month or 2 from May till Oct. That should take care of the heat.

piranha2
06-01-2011, 11:52 PM

I do this...