PDA

View Full Version : 79 1 ton 78/79 Bronco project still in feasibility stages.

Metrocruiser
12-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone I hope you all had a nice weekend.

My wife hates me. I've been glued to the monitor all weekend looking at broncos and a matching trailer after I read that other thread. It started a fire under my ass.

I had a 1/2 ton many years ago. Broke the 9" replaced it with a posi broke that then replaced it with a Detroit locker.

I had just sourced a d60 front and rear out of a 78 F350 and was going to upgrade them in my bronco.
Had the leaf shackles steering rods and drop down components to make it all work. Was going to put 38-40" tires on it.

Met my wife in 96 and the truck became a permanent resident of a leaking roof garage. It rains a lot up here. After 9 years in that environment, it didn't survive. I had to scrap it.

I still have the d60's.

I was never keen on leaf spring front axle. After researching one ton broncos last night I just saw some awesome stuff. One ton coil overs with huge articulation. This is what will most likely be the deciding factor over choosing a 90's turbo diesel landcruiser 80 series. Along with the pre 1980 emp issues as well.

Anybody own a landcruiser or a bronco?

Dropy
12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I knew a guy when I lived in florida name Bronco John. he was an amazing mechanic. His specialty was broncos that could crawl over other vehicles!! He was a big fan of fully welded tube frames and military front and rear axles.

Metrocruiser
12-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Those bronco guys are a handy friend indeed.
I've know one for 25 years but he's still stuck in the 70s and doesn't surf the net.
I am going in to a custom 4x4 shop soon to get a consult on this build. That's where the feasible part comes in lol. They take babies and organs as payment i heard.

Dropy
12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
then I recommend you pay with the neighbors bratty babies!

Metrocruiser
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi guys
This is like the setup i am dreaming about.
I think in order to make it happen i will have to buy someone else's project. It will be too dawn expensive to have this built from the body down.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZIZbMF0Kact0czTVeL0aECLQUVU_s-ohkVtJGLzgK4U6-X1jw

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-05-2012, 04:32 AM
That's an interesting lookin rig. I used to have a 79 F150 4x4, I did a stem to stern rebuild on that one had the 351"M"ichigan motor, dropped a 500cfm 2 brl holley on there and the damn thing was pullin 16mpg all day long with 33" tires. Sold it to a young Seal, Kid drove it from Great lakes to BUDS (San Diego) then to Team 2 in Dam Neck, Va. Not a single problem, never should have sold it to that little SOB.......not bad for a Ford. So how heavy Duty a truck are you going to do here? What gear ratio? Coil over springs......what weight? 3/4....1 ton? Transfer case and tranny? What about power plant?

Metrocruiser
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
That's an interesting lookin rig. I used to have a 79 F150 4x4, I did a stem to stern rebuild on that one had the 351"M"ichigan motor, dropped a 500cfm 2 brl holley on there and the damn thing was pullin 16mpg all day long with 33" tires. Sold it to a young Seal, Kid drove it from Great lakes to BUDS (San Diego) then to Team 2 in Dam Neck, Va. Not a single problem, never should have sold it to that little SOB.......not bad for a Ford. So how heavy Duty a truck are you going to do here? What gear ratio? Coil over springs......what weight? 3/4....1 ton? Transfer case and tranny? What about power plant?

Hi Brr

Planning to 1 ton it (got them), upgrade the suspension to allow more travel, cut out front and back just under the headlights and tail lights to fit in angled winch bumpers to allow better approach and departure angles, 38" tires, 12K warn winch (got it), skid plates galore for starters. The rest would be cosmetic stuff to keep wife happy if there is any budget left over lol.
fabbing expenses, driveshafts, coil and shock hoops, custom bumpers, skid plates, marry the front D60 to radius arms,
interior/exterior upgrades, seats, seats in back with legal seatbelts for kids, autogauge meters, custom roof rack, drive beams - rear and side lights, audio/video system (probably use an iPad with dock built into dash), CB, dual gel batts, 1500w power inverter (got one), dc air compressor, static storage compartments for bug out supplies and guns all hidden from sight, alarm system

Metrocruiser
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I have found a prospective Bronco.
http://www.rivotech.com/bronco/78drivers.jpg

Evolver
12-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Nice rig even without the R. What do they want for it?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Hey, man I didn't get to see the picture! Where's the picture! I can't properly make a crappy comment without a picture!...............but it sounds like you have a serious plan!

Metrocruiser
12-10-2012, 01:25 AM
I can see the pic, you can't?

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice rig even without the R. What do they want for it?

No 'R'??? you can't have that... if you buy it that is the first thing you'll have to replace!!! That 'R' is critical!

Without it you won't know where to Find it Dead...

bwahahaha

Seriously, that is a nice looking rig!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I have found a prospective Bronco.
http://www.rivotech.com/bronco/78drivers.jpg

Funny when I try to quote his post it shows a tag in here of the picture, but on the site/thread/post I don't see a picture................."Riddle me this Batman!"

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it's cause your in Canada, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Funny when I try to quote his post it shows a tag in here of the picture, but on the site/thread/post I don't see a picture................."Riddle me this Batman!"

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

WOW it just showed up, my provider must be FUBAR, OK time for my eval...............Now I;m getting the "R" jokes! Actually now you can call it a "FOD" like most yankees pronounce it anyways. Or as we knew in the Navy (forgein object damage) the guy probably used that F to pay for that cow catcher in the front because they are in such high demand........... seeings that they fall off all the time. I hear they're like gold up in Canada, eh?

OK seriously, sweet find, it looks pretty much intact. How about rust? Is the price right? The tires are round, at least you know you can tow it home. So are you going to be the frog on the lily pad and jump on this thing or what? It looks like a pretty good deal so far from what I can see, provided the mechs are good.

Hey if you want to buy any "R's" I know a guy in Canada..................

mitunnelrat
12-10-2012, 01:26 PM
A ford, found on anything dead? Oh no... I see you're one of "those people" who just don't want to admit these trucks are the Favorite of Rural Drivers! There's a reason GM and Chrysler compare their trucks to the Fords ;)

Nice rig Metro, I had a '94 and wish I still did.

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
The only reason they compare them to Chevy and Dodges, is because there is no comparison to a Toyota

;)

mitunnelrat
12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
You got it backwards ;) And why would I want a toy when I can get the real thing? :D

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
why wouldn't you want a Toy? all boys need toys. Toy's last forever!

mitunnelrat
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll concede that point, but I'd still prefer a real truck :p

Metrocruiser
12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi guys
Im in a bad situation. I sourced this truck which is in California. Checked my provincial regulations about importing modded trucks. There could be issues with headlights heights, tires extending out past the fenders, not oem seat belts omg.

Absolutely no rust. Detroit lockers front and rear both just rebuilt. Chromolly axles on all 4s, 9 inch lift (this is one of my flags. The back leaves have blocks instead of leaf to diff ) modded

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Guys around here bring em up all the time. it's really no biggie. Idea is, to keep it simple...

go to a wrecker and buy a set of normal sized tires. toss them on, and 90% of your issues will disappear. get it in Canada, and then make the final couple mods to make it legal here (speedo needs to be in KM not miles prevalent), seatbelt, if applicable), etc. little things.

Once it is a legal truck here, you can mod it to your delight.

bacpacker
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
why wouldn't you want a Toy? all boys need toys. Toy's last forever!

Exactly T! Thats all I've drove since mid 80's (trucks I mean). Never have had one lay down on me yet. Current truck is only 2wd, but suits my needs.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi guys
Im in a bad situation. I sourced this truck which is in California. Checked my provincial regulations about importing modded trucks. There could be issues with headlights heights, tires extending out past the fenders, not oem seat belts omg.

Absolutely no rust. Detroit lockers front and rear both just rebuilt. Chromolly axles on all 4s, 9 inch lift (this is one of my flags. The back leaves have blocks instead of leaf to diff ) modded

DUDE tHIS IS A NO BRAINER.......Throw the tires on a trailer, take Snipers "TOY" tires and put them on until you get back and have them check it out. The head lights will be lowered, the wheels will be tucked in and you're good to go! Then when they're done, you can give Sniper back his toy tires and you can put the real ones back on, see I knew you hired me as a consultant for a reason. Problem Solved.......carry on............seriously how hard can this be Metro? OK it's in California and they are "almost" all idiots there (except for Grumpy and I'm sure there might be a few others) but really man this is doable.

Metrocruiser
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Dudes, its a no go.

Talked with RIV and they said no lifts or mods, it can only be a stock truck. they said this truck would be denied at the border unless it was made to be stock as the OEM had made it in 1978.

Damn

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 06:52 PM
One other option... buy it as a 'parts' truck.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you may have to shop a little North of the border...

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1979-Ford-Bronco-4X4-W0QQAdIdZ428353807

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Ford-Bronco-W0QQAdIdZ424096028

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh, so it's ok to do all that stuff to your truck in Canada. But you can't bring a truck from the US into to Canada that had all that stuff done to it. Let me guess.....because you are taking money and jobs away from Canadians. So anything you bring into Canada must be worked on and modified in Canada right? Maybe America should act this way.............eeeeewwww could I go on a rampage with this one or what?

Metrocruiser
12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
This is the truck, hes ready to let it go for about 6500 i think. maybe less, i never got to the negotiagion stage with him. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehicles-trailers-sale/1098949-1978-ford-bronco.html

I was thinking it was turnkey and ready to go, id drive it as it was until or if i broke a diff, then replace with the D60

Now i will try to find a stock rust free one for 2k or less and then pay with my left nut to have it modded out lol. up here in Canada lol

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Well I guess you keep lookin I feel your pain. I was lookin long and hard for mine. They will turn up eventually.............uh, really, just pick a good one, don't get in a rush.

Metrocruiser
12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
As usual the wife has changed her mind. BOV is on hold now, she says whats we gots is good enough for now. Only possible issue is that it is a newer suv and it is not emp resistant :(
I hate walking and carrying my stuff and her stuff and the kids stuff...................

Secretly, I will keep looking for that pristine 79 Bronco

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-15-2012, 02:58 AM
sorry to hear that man........but thing do change, she'll be whining when the big one hits!

ladyhk13
12-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Dh just read me your post....sorry about your loss Metro. BUT, you can drool over my avitar any time you feel the need if it will make you feel better :o
That's a real bummer. Funny, I was the one who asked HIM to buy me mine and then HE has been slaving like a dog redoing all the interior for me and it's beautiful! Don't mean to make ya feel bad or anything................ok, just had to slap ya around a bit.

Metrocruiser
12-15-2012, 03:20 AM
lol, I get slapped around alot.
wife, kids, dog, plumber, get in line next time why dontcha

meanwhile..........

~~~~~~~~~~~devious laughing~~~~~~~~~~

I have secret planssssssss.......

ladyhk13
12-15-2012, 03:28 AM
aha! just make it a surprise for HER!

Sniper-T
12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
LH, how are you making out with the pedal issues? blocks or elevator shoes?

ladyhk13
12-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Haha! They actually work pretty well except the gas pedal is not right yet. It is small and not at the right angle yet...will have to do some more tweeking me thinks. The brake is good. Now I need new seat belts that go higher to reach over top of the new seats because of course where I need the seat to be set is exactly where the belt comes out and so it presses against it and it's a pain in the butt. These vehicles were made for tall people.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the answer to your question is "handicapped pedals" if you can believe it. They are made for people between 4'10 and 5' and that would be me.

Sniper-T
12-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I had to google that^ lol

http://www.amsvans.com/mobility-equipment/driving-aids/gas-brake-pedal-extensions

Don't think of it as being short... just enjoy all the extra space behind the seat! ;)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Those are very similar but nowhere near the price. The one's I bought have even more adjustments to them.

ladyhk13
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I had to google that^ lol

http://www.amsvans.com/mobility-equipment/driving-aids/gas-brake-pedal-extensions

Don't think of it as being short... just enjoy all the extra space behind the seat! ;)

Yeah, I'll really enjoy all of that extra space back there alright! Gives me more space for my hair to fly :) These trucks were not made for short people...I feel left out of everything.

Sniper-T
12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
maybe you have to trade it in for something smaller... but equally badass?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://sledaddicts.webhost4life.com/centralmini/image.axd%3Fpicture%3D2010%252F4%252Forange_mini_t ruck_tracks.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sledaddicts.webhost4life.com/centralmini/&h=480&w=640&sz=61&tbnid=1XQfIsU17NzivM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__sZJEeqVmLAk1lLMjCHuUbiy9yGY=&docid=nyT-ZwB7dW4VVM&sa=X&ei=Bq7dUJPoIdCtqQHE5YEo&ved=0CHEQ9QEwBg&dur=5821