PDA

View Full Version : Bug Out Bag Philosphy

The Stig
05-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm going through a major change in philosphy on BOB's and wanted to run it past the group to see if I'm super awesome or completely screwed up.

Hopefully this will spur further conversation on the topic.

So here goes....

My first BOB's were set up as long-term sustainment bags. I was going to live off the land, fight zombies and go all Wolverine. Clearly I got my head out of my ass on that game plan.

The second attempt was more aimed at having bags that would take some of the misery out of miserable but were still heavily rooted in the bizarre foundation of TEOTHWAWKI scenarios.

This is what I've come up with:

Basic premise: You can never "live off the land" with what you can carry on your back, therefore, build BOB's around more realistic scenarios. Have your heavy sustainment supplies, that could be used both short and long term (for those pesky zombie attacks), staged at static locations.

In other words, for our geographic area, our BOB's should be oriented around hurricane evacuations, leaving in a hurry because of forest fires/chemical spills, etc. These are shorter term events and should be geared more for survival than "fighting". I might even ditch the backpack's all together and go to plastic tubs to increase what can be transported.

Heavy supplies, like food to outlast the effects of major weather events, or ammo for fighting off the North Koreans, should be statically staged at the house and other locations.

Maybe this is an even more clear way of saying it: your kit for pure survival should be for survival, while your kit for fighting should be solely for fighting. Trying to have one setup that can help you deal with your house burning down AND going all Freedom Fighter isn't as effective.

So for us, I'm thinking:

* A couple "grab and go" kits for dashing out the door. These can be in backpacks, plastic tubs, gymbags, etc, but whatever the container they are just supplies for living.

* Fighting rigs strictly set up for fighting

* Heavy items like food water, generators, etc all pre-staged in the garage. The items will be stored in easy to transport containers appropriate to the item (in backpacks, plastic Jerry cans, plastic tubs, whatever). This means they are easy to access for SHTF events where we are in the house, and can be easily transported should we need to leave.

So the BOB's won't have scads of ammo, short swords, and legacy seeds. They'll have clean underwear, first aid kit, important documents, weather radios, paper maps, water filters, etc. Probably going to add more common tools, water filters, etc.

So the fighting rig won't have diaper cream and MRE's. I figure if things have gone haywire to the point I'm donning a rig and an AR, I want the most effective fighting setup I can have.

Since the idea that we're going to disappear into the hills, live off the land and fight the UN troops is the stuff of novels (now there's an idea....) specialized gear is making more sense to me now than pretending I'm going to load up the family truckster and never return.

Thoughts?

Stg1swret
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Seems to be spot on. I came to the same conclusion about 6 months ago. I have a full combat rig, a GHB , and an 96 kit for each of my loved ones. Since my location currently precludes Bugging out, all my major supplies are at home. I plan on seeing the "golden hoarde"assing by my location withing 72 hrs of a major SHTF event, so I'm hunkering down and riding it out.

LUNCHBOX
05-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Here is my three cents....A "bob" for survival is just that. I hike/camp alot and I have everything I need to go out for however long I want (tent, cooking utensils, basic clothing, upgraded med kit, sleep system-you get the idea) now granted I would run out off food/ammo the longer I'm out but the basics are there. I think if your bugging in then the sky is the limit on gear/supplies. If you are bugging out then you have to know your intentions. You might take a hand saw rather than a fullsize axe...etc, etc.

I do agree about stashing your needed gear in prime locations. I don't even think I would carry all my cash/pms' or sensitive paperwork. (IMO) I would also bury the extra gear before I would leave it with someone else that I trust not to use/take, I wouldn't want to find it or them gone later when I need it. So, In my opinion....I will try to stick with one pack each family memeber if I have to roll out.

mitunnelrat
05-27-2011, 01:13 AM
I think you're on rock solid ground with this approach. I was thinking along these same lines again today, since I'm continually tweaking my own loads to reduce weight and bulk.

RedJohn
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
You're definitly on the right track. BO stands for bug-out, not survive all type of situations. Like I mentioned many times, mine is a 3-day survival only that I must be able to carry fast.

Grumpy Old Man
05-27-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been using bags for a number of years for various things: flyfishing bag, hunting bag etc. For camping I have my goods in wooden boxes (I got in this habit when I was buckskinning one weekend a month and everything needed to be period correct). A lot of things are in containers pre-positioned in my horse trailer. All these are what I consider my INCH supplies. For me a bugout bag must be light enough for me to carry comfortably. As my name implies I ain't as young as I used to be, therefore my bob philosophy has been for me to go lighter, have the dogs carry more, and have my retreat AO pre-stocked. Although in any bugout from where I am, the horses will have to come to, so.....what I really have in my truck is a GHB and I'm only 2 miles from work.

RedJohn
05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
so.....what I really have in my truck is a GHB and I'm only 2 miles from work.

And if there is a bridge within these 2 miles that collapsed, this return home could be longer. No matter the distance, you are right, a GHB is necessary. To me, though, GHB and BOB are the one and same bag.

bacpacker
05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Lots of good ideas along with the OP.

I look at things somewhat like Lunchbox. We keep our big backpacks loaded with gear we would need for a multi week bacpacking trip, with food for 10 days. Our main BOB's are mostly along those lines. We each have a bag that would stay with us no matter what. Other things will change, depending on the scenario and are layed out or being worked on for easy retreival. Seems like that is always being worked on.

Fighting gear is needed and available, but in my mind that is more of a defensive set up. No way the wife I and will do much more than that.

Much more thought to be given this one.

cwconnertx
06-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I've got a molle vest that is centered around waking up in the middle of the night, so it has flashlight, fire extinguisher(yes a smoke detector might be going off), important documents, yes a pistol holster as well. It also has a pouch with important documents and an umbrella in a grenade pouch (it might be raining if I have to leave), it has car keys, a bottle of water, etc. Its geared up on a sudden wakeup where I don't know why. (it has a machete, multitool, and gas shut off wrench too, don't forget the gas shut off wrench!)

I also have a full combat setup, and another geared around survival in the woods.

There just isn't one setup that will do everything. I don't want front, rear, and side SAPI plates trying to survive in the woods in 100 degree texas heat, I also don't need SAPI plates if the house is on fire. However, I sure as hell don't want a fire extinguisher if the UN blue helmets need fighting off. You have to be adaptable.

The point about long term survival is spot on, you can't carry the food for even a few months on foot, so you need to stash is, have multiple locations, etc.

LUNCHBOX
06-14-2011, 02:42 AM
I think we all agree that food stashing if possible is a must....

But I think having 2, 3 or even 4 different bags is overkill. This of course is my humble opinion. I feel a small bag if you have to roll out is not geared enough to do the right job. I understand that you only expect to be gone for a couple days but what happens if it turns into a longer run. I would guess that a small bob would/could weigh around 20-30 lbs. I would add another 10 lbs to that and be more prepared.

Tent, poncho, liner, food, water, mat/pad, few loose items, med gear, you get the idea. Think about the things you would put in the smaller B.O.B. and see if its worth it to you.

I also run a vest/carrier with combat related items that I don't consider when I am on the go. Its weight but its a weight that I would not give up.

HighSpeedLowDrag
06-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Looks good. Now I'm not sure if this is a "given" or coupled with food or meds but a bottle of multi-vitamins are a must imo. A small bottle has easily almost 3 months worth of one a days and you have to assume that food could be limited in sources so your going to lose nutrients and if a short term situation suddenly turns long term this will spiral multiple health problems even if your in great health right now. Shelf life is great also (roughly 2 years).

Depending where you live you should have an idea of the best locations around you to bug out to, and like everyone is saying have a stash or know what food and water sources are around so you can plan accordingly (unless there is a contamination threat). Also if you have an idea of the surrounding population you can try an gauge whether those sources of water/food will be picked clean fast. I'm hoping to buy some land outside of town and have the heavy stuff buried out there so I can just focus on carrying essential i need in case I get stuck for a bit between point A to point B. I try and carry the minimum to sustain me for the first ten days (hence my vitamin obsession).

Weapons: one tactical knife, one sidearm and one rifle or shotty(slugs/buckshot to cover various ranged combat) as much ammo that i can carry. Right now for my sidearm I have a G32c, my only concern is how easily it will be to find more ammunition if I run out. If I had a more common handgun this would be less stressful.

Not sure if anything i said was helpful, new here and have not had a chance to catch up on other posts. Perhaps I will try and do that before I post in the future.

bacpacker
06-17-2011, 01:30 AM
HSLD I think your on the right track. You gotta know whats around you, water espically. The way we're looking at it, we will Bug In unless a chemical leak, nuc emergency, etc. If we do leave here we will probably be traveling pretty light unless we have good advance notice. The wife and I will each have a good knife, Me a Glock 17, her a glock 26 for compatable easy to find ammo. I'll have a AR in .223, right now she will have a .22 rifle with at least 1000 rounds. If we are able to drive off the remington 870 and my savage in .308 will find a hole as well.

We look forward to what all you have thoughts on. Good stuff so far.

Fatty
06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Recently my philosophy has morphed into a 2 bag + LBV system. I'm still working up the 3 seperate bags for each of my vehicles, however those are seperate from my bugout bags.

dragon5126
10-15-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm going through a major change in philosphy on BOB's and wanted to run it past the group to see if I'm super awesome or completely screwed up.

Hopefully this will spur further conversation on the topic.

So here goes....

My first BOB's were set up as long-term sustainment bags. I was going to live off the land, fight zombies and go all Wolverine. Clearly I got my head out of my ass on that game plan.

The second attempt was more aimed at having bags that would take some of the misery out of miserable but were still heavily rooted in the bizarre foundation of TEOTHWAWKI scenarios.

This is what I've come up with:

Basic premise: You can never "live off the land" with what you can carry on your back, therefore, build BOB's around more realistic scenarios. Have your heavy sustainment supplies, that could be used both short and long term (for those pesky zombie attacks), staged at static locations.

In other words, for our geographic area, our BOB's should be oriented around hurricane evacuations, leaving in a hurry because of forest fires/chemical spills, etc. These are shorter term events and should be geared more for survival than "fighting". I might even ditch the backpack's all together and go to plastic tubs to increase what can be transported.

Heavy supplies, like food to outlast the effects of major weather events, or ammo for fighting off the North Koreans, should be statically staged at the house and other locations.

Maybe this is an even more clear way of saying it: your kit for pure survival should be for survival, while your kit for fighting should be solely for fighting. Trying to have one setup that can help you deal with your house burning down AND going all Freedom Fighter isn't as effective.

So for us, I'm thinking:

* A couple "grab and go" kits for dashing out the door. These can be in backpacks, plastic tubs, gymbags, etc, but whatever the container they are just supplies for living.

* Fighting rigs strictly set up for fighting

* Heavy items like food water, generators, etc all pre-staged in the garage. The items will be stored in easy to transport containers appropriate to the item (in backpacks, plastic Jerry cans, plastic tubs, whatever). This means they are easy to access for SHTF events where we are in the house, and can be easily transported should we need to leave.

So the BOB's won't have scads of ammo, short swords, and legacy seeds. They'll have clean underwear, first aid kit, important documents, weather radios, paper maps, water filters, etc. Probably going to add more common tools, water filters, etc.

So the fighting rig won't have diaper cream and MRE's. I figure if things have gone haywire to the point I'm donning a rig and an AR, I want the most effective fighting setup I can have.

Since the idea that we're going to disappear into the hills, live off the land and fight the UN troops is the stuff of novels (now there's an idea....) specialized gear is making more sense to me now than pretending I'm going to load up the family truckster and never return.

Thoughts?

Was gonna trim the quote but as it's an older thread and one I feel is too important and needs to be revisited regularly, I won't.

In Short, (and not to be snide or sarcastic) Welcome to the real world Boss! For YEARS I have been getting irritated with people who refused to listen to the real premis of a BOB. Long and short, it is THE MINIMUM you may need. and the base that you would add other kits to. In short, a personal first aid kit a survival kit, handgun, couple spare mags and spare ammo (a box not a case)a decent fixed blade knife and a good multi purpose folder such as a swiss army to cover what the medium sized fixed blade is to big for, a pair of socks, maybe a pair of gloves for work or seasonal purposes depending on your location, some 550, deet if your region calls for it, toilet paper and sanitary supplies (if female) and some form of emergency rations and possibly a few quarts of sealed water, a flashlight and something for fire starting. The idea is to equip yourself with an augment to what you are carrying normally. If you normally carry a hand gun, you don't need it in the bob, but the ammo should remain. Thats a BOB. The time it would take to grab anything bigger could cost you your life. Mean while build your larger bags and kits. BUT KEEP IT MODULAR! Sleeping bags and tents are only needed if you are in a cold season or region, food is more important. An axe for firewood is a luxury, and so are stoves... So set your kits up in a hierarchy of what to grab first, and what to grab last you can always stop and repack the vehicle later if you are using one, if not you just grabbed what is most important and left the rest behind. Also packing gear in a vehicle this way, buries the most valuable in terms of need under the "convenience" items so if someone trys to rip you off they will take what you NEED the least, first. But for some reason people want to make their BOB an everything bag, not realizing that doing this is simply putting themselves at risk.
Quite frankly Bugging out, when looked at in a stark and realistic manner, is more often than not, going to be a matter of disaster than act of war type situation. Unless you live on the gulf or eastern coasts, or Hawaii, you will have minimal if any warning to bug out. The rest of us in the US really wont have the advanced notice to move out, Even a blizzard in the snow regions, wouldnt give cause to move. So again the BOB HAS to be set up for speed and self preservation as a BASIC kit not even a 72 hr kit, as a 72 hr kit would quite literally be stage two, and a BOB is pre stage 1

faster
10-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Bill Moreland lived off the land, with less than 10 lbs of gear, not even a gun, axe, sleeping bag, cabin, for 11 years in ;the Idaho wilds. :-) We have much better gear, don't have to deal with 14 ft deep snows, and need not last that way for more than a year. Pop a cow, jerk that 400-500 lbs of meat, get a few bags of grain stowed away and you are good for a year, no problem, don't need to stick your neck out at all. Just because you don't start with much stuff doesn't mean that you have to remain helpless. Moreland ran into the woods with nothing at all. He stole stuff from campsites and cabins. He lived by snaring deer, with telephone wire that he took down from between the fire towers (1930's).

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
You need to brush up on your Bill Moreland history and get it straight. Some of your facts are not.

sidewinder
10-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Let's get specific about this topic.

If you need to evacuate your location because of a forest fire, hurricane, tornado.....would you go to a designated shelter?

If there was civil unrest and an evacuation was required...would you go to a designated shelter?

If the government said you must evacuate to a designated shelter...would you go?

Taking any weapons to a designated shleter will probably get you arrested.....or at least detained...maybe confiscated.

I think different bags for different scenarios is a good idea. And having an "all around bag" is a good idea.

Will you need to have your own shelter..i.e..tent and sleeping bags? Will you need food and water stuff? Will you need a gun?

I'm not really in favor of going to a designated shelter for any reason. So where do you go? Will you be walking or driving?

I'm not crazy about the driving aspect if SHTF. Too many idiots that aren't ready for anything will be out looking for you and your stuff. Probably with guns.

Walking into the nearby abandoned strip mine sounds like a good idea. But setting up a camp can be dangerous too. Now you still have to be on guard.

I have 4 animals that I don't really want to abandon. So taking a hike with 3 cats and a dog isn't going to cut it. I could drive into the strip mine. And so can everyone else.

I still don't have a clear cut plan of attack for every scenario. Too many variables to take into consideration. I have lots of half assed ideas.

ravensgrove
10-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Pop a cow, jerk that 400-500 lbs of meat, get a few bags of grain stowed away and you are good for a year, no problem, don't need to stick your neck out at all.

This is making me chuckle...you're going to a) pop a cow...and b) jerk 4-500 lbs of meat. First of all, that's a small cow...moving right along...if the cow is alive it probably has someone stewarding it, but just for sake of argument let's say you imagine to not get shot by farmer Bob...now you, are going to single handedly kill, drain of blood, clean and jerk an entire (the word is steer by the way) with the contents of your BOB? Without being noticed by the zombie hoardes you previously said would be roaming around and why you bugged out to begin with, right? You do realize the sheer volume of smoke you will be creating by jerking an entire steer outside, in the open?

Thank you for this...I can now go to bed laughing myself to sleep.

twain
11-03-2011, 12:19 AM
u r wrong. Many men, all over the world, have lived off the land (alone, too) for years. If shtf, you only have to do so for a year, at most, because nearly everyone will be dead. That will free you up to move wherever you wish, forage up whatever gear you need, and plant small, hidden, scattered garden plots. The game will all be gone in a month, all the fish near land will be gone in another month, in 2 more months all the edible plants will be gone, including the pines (for inner bark). Then cannibalism will be commanplace. People with smarts will have buried 55 gallon (metal) drums full of legumes, grain, sealed cans of Crisco, dried fruit and venison jerky. A year's supply costs about $700 per person, if you go at it intelligently, and that includes the drums. You need about 1000 lbs of food per person.

ravensgrove
11-03-2011, 02:42 AM
The game will all be gone in a month, all the fish near land will be gone in another month, in 2 more months all the edible plants will be gone, including the pines (for inner bark). Then cannibalism will be commanplace.......You watch too many Dawn of the Dead movies my friend....depending on where you live some of this may be true, but over most of the country where game is still relatively ample...very untrue. The idea that all the game will be eaten in a month and all the fish near land by 2 months is so far fetched its almost moronic.....by 4 months all edible plants eaten and pine all used even for inner bark...seriously? Where are you getting your information, its so outlandish its almost laughable.

Now....if you are talking nuclear disaster or something that takes out game...it's take you out too most likely, last time I checked most humans also have lungs, hearts, nervous systems....and would be just as susceptible to any catastrophic event that would take out all the game on the continent.

The only thing you said that was relatively true is that yes, for thousands of years mankind has lived off the land, on every continent, and can do so again...assuredly without becoming cannibals. What is decidedly untrue is that a lone wolf mentality will get you very far. Tribalism will save you....BOB paramilitary road warrior...not so much.

Sniper-T
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I keep two bags packed. One in my truck designated as my GHB. As I stated elsewhere, I work an hour drive from home, so it would be a solid day of walking. I wear sensible clothes (including footware), and dress according to the seasons and weather.

So my GHB is pretty basic, contains some trail mixes, water, spare socks(2), a couple garbage bags, firestarter, lighter, etc.

I always have some cash on me. And a knife.

My BOB is just that... it is a grab and go, get the hell out now bag. a few major forest fires in the last couple years caused some widespread evacuations near me (but didn't include me). People were given 5 minutes notice. So in this bag I have 2 complete changes of clothes, 3-4 days of meals, some important paperwork, my water filter, and not much more.

All my camping stuff is in the garage by the door, and takes less than 2 minutes to load. I have a camping tote, with up to a months worth of food (if supplemented).

So given 5 minutes notice, I can be loaded, with both the dog and the cat (and the wife), retreat into the wilderness, and live comfortably for as long as necessary.

GunnerMax
12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Sorry for the necro, but my BOB is just getting started, with only 3 pieces in the mail. I have a pure fighting setup, and will, in the end, carry my pistol with 8 mags of 15 rounds, my Mosin Nagant M91/30 with 300 rounds, and an 8+1 pump shotgun with buck, slug, buck, slug loadout, with extra ,ammo and BREACHER ROUNDS by federal (frangible slug) to take out locks and doors. I plan on the basics, which will include, but not limited to: first aid kit, food, 5L of water, maps, compasses, fire starting, wood cutting, meat processing, TP, cold weather gear (if anywhere close to winter) etc. I live in an apartment complex with 175 units, so cacheing, "hoarding" food/supplies, raising a farm/animals, etc is not logical. So, I have to survive in an urban enviornment... we cannot bugout due to traffic, tunnels, and the hoarde of people that will leave the city. Thoughts?

mitunnelrat
12-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Ok, I was hoping a more urban member would chime in, but since no one has I'll take a stab at it for you, Gunner. Keep in mind I operate in a more rural environment, but I feel there are some things which are universal to any BO, so I'll try applying them to your circumstances. To do so, I'll need to ask some questions.

First, do you have a pre-selected Bug Out Location (BOL)? As stated earlier in the thread, more BO's will be the result of a natural disaster or man-made accident than any act of war or terrorism. Without a BOL you're effectively setting yourself up as a refugee. With a BOL you'll be able to pre-stock some equipment and supplies (maybe even weapons) you aren't confident you can amass at home. Have you identified the most likely threats to your area? Whether you have or have not, the next step is to determine how far you must go to escape the problem. I'd recommend finding a willing friend or family member within that "safe zone", bringing your concerns of <specific, realistic event> up with them, and putting a storage tote or two there if you can.

I would strongly urge you to find some creative solutions to home storage though. If the situation permits I would have to believe you'd be in a much better position to BO if you can wait out the initial stampede. Also, with a specific destination within a known destination, you'll have a much better idea of the exact gear you'll need, and in what volume. You'll be able to pre-plan routes and know if water re-supplies are available or not, and what you'll need to access the source. I've seen some urban residents will carry a silcock key to access spigots on commercial/ industrial buildings, I.e.

From there, you can decide what defensive measures and ammunition you'll need to carry. The fighting load you mention is above and beyond what most folks I talk to feel they need. Have you determined how to transport all of it on foot? Is the weight manageable or is it going to wear you out in short order? Is the action on the Mosin smooth, or sticky like many of the variants I've owned? If its sticky, would it be better to stage it for static defense? For the shotgun, can you articulate a need for every shell variant? Would a lighter, quieter, less bulky pry bar (like countycomms EOD Breacher Bar) be a better option than carrying breaching rounds?

Getting back to transport, especially if you must carry two longarms, have you considered a game cart? Some collapse down and store fairly small, and will save your back, or your wife's.

As for the pack's contents itself, I can't highly enough recommend reading John D. McCann's "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" and also REI's online article on "The Ten Essentials of Backpacking," They'll be excellent guides in selecting components to help keep pack size and weight down. I've been ribbed, and rightfully so, for carrying everything but the kitchen sink in my BOB. There will be some big changes in my load come my next outing, and they will reflect everything I'm passing on here.
That leads me to my next point though. I know you said you and your wife like getting outdoors. Once you have a jit assembled I think you'd do well to find time for a test run or three, in conditions you expect to encounter, to shake out what works and what doesn't.

Otherwise, I feel there's some excellent info already in this thread. I couldn't encourage you more to look at The Stig's and Lunchbox's thoughts to see what you can use or adapt for your own situation.

Hope some of that helped.

mitunnelrat
12-05-2011, 08:58 PM
One part up there should read "known distance". Proofreading and editing from mobile is the suck

The Stig
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Sorry for the necro, but my BOB is just getting started, with only 3 pieces in the mail. I have a pure fighting setup, and will, in the end, carry my pistol with 8 mags of 15 rounds, my Mosin Nagant M91/30 with 300 rounds, and an 8+1 pump shotgun with buck, slug, buck, slug loadout, with extra ,ammo and BREACHER ROUNDS by federal (frangible slug) to take out locks and doors. I plan on the basics, which will include, but not limited to: first aid kit, food, 5L of water, maps, compasses, fire starting, wood cutting, meat processing, TP, cold weather gear (if anywhere close to winter) etc. I live in an apartment complex with 175 units, so cacheing, "hoarding" food/supplies, raising a farm/animals, etc is not logical. So, I have to survive in an urban enviornment... we cannot bugout due to traffic, tunnels, and the hoarde of people that will leave the city. Thoughts?

What is your physical condition? The weapons and ammo by themselves are a lot of weight to slog around.

I'm a bit confused. You are saying you are likely stuck in an urban environment but are planning to hump all the above gear to somewhere else? Or is that "bug in" supplies (meaning you wont be physically carrying them somewhere)?

realist
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
It is interesting that a lot of people when they begin prepping, they begin by getting ready to bug out for the hills with everything on their back. After some rational study they realize that this is not possible. If you still have your first BOB, with all the original equipment, in your closet then there is a problem. I can’t tell you how many times I have revised, replaced or replenished my BOB. I read something, it hits nerve and I go out and add or delete. You need to be realistic in what you can bring with you and it is a good idea to test it out.

Being in an urban environment can have its problems. A BOB is for just that, to bug out, but you need to have a plan and know where you are going. If you don’t have a place to go then you need to look at bugging in. If that is not an object then there is the potential that you will become a refugee without proper planning.

So since you said that you need to survive in an urban environment you need to study and know that environment. You said that you live in a 175 unit complex. Is there anyone that you can depend upon to support you, watch your back? Who are your neighbors, will they be of assistance or will they be your adversaries? Are you in a high crime area, you need to check? What environmental issues are nearby, refinery, fuel storage or manufacturing that could be a threat.

I suggest that you consider volunteering to assist the public safety sector. Consider a becoming involved in CERT or maybe the Red Cross. By doing this it will give you an understanding of how the system works. It should put you in the position to get updates about what the situation is before the general public. There are some jurisdictions that will inoculate the first responders and their families before the general public, this will ensure they show up for work.

The one thing that I have always done is have my truck well stocked. I look at my vehicle as much as an extension of my home. I consider my truck as a mobile supply depot. It has food, water, shelter, clothing, weapons and ammunition. Yes I have my BOB with the basics so in the event I have to go on foot. This would be for a short distance to get home.

There are lots of things that need to be considered. Everyone’s situation is different and they have to decide for themselves what they need to do. All you can do is use the information here as a guide that you tweak for your own purpose.

mitunnelrat
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Good catches on the risk assessment and volunteer work, realist. I didn't even think of that.

realist
12-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Volunteer work educates you on how the local government works. You make contacts that may come in handy in the future. If you are truly prepping you have got to know how the infrastructure in your surrounding area works. The population in my county is about 1/2 million so it is not overcrowded like a lot of areas back east. I volunteer for the Haz Mat team and this gets me in a variety of locations without anyone questioning me because they generally do not want to be there themselves. This could be critical in a SHTF situation.

GunnerMax
12-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Well I am in pretty dang good military shape. I leave in less thana month for overseas, so my plan is incomplete, and my BOB (due to the wifes unco-operation) will be left unfinished until summer.

The Stig
12-07-2011, 09:37 PM
It is interesting that a lot of people when they begin prepping, they begin by getting ready to bug out for the hills with everything on their back. After some rational study they realize that this is not possible.

Well said and you are dead right. Often times this is because people automatically equate shtf with EOTWAWKI scenarios. One they put some rational thought into the matter, and accept that SHTF events cover a broad spectrum their preps become more well rounded. Eventually they make the leap from living off a backpack for the rest of their lives to actually prepping.

izzyscout21
12-07-2011, 11:21 PM
while I still maintain somewhat of a get home bag in the car, my focus has shifted from having bug out bags to more static preps. Now I have to worry about how many of you yahoos are going to show up at my door.......all are welcome, btw.....:)

TroubleShooter
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
It is interesting to go back , I have found some of my prior preps per Y2K and earlier.....The changes in techology which changed your preps, the learning curve and of course the increase in funds and knowledege....All a factor in evloving where most are today....

Stormfeather
12-12-2011, 07:03 AM
while I still maintain somewhat of a get home bag in the car, my focus has shifted from having bug out bags to more static preps. Now I have to worry about how many of you yahoos are going to show up at my door.......all are welcome, btw.....:)

I pretty much did the same thing as you did Izzy, geared my stuff from Bug Out Bags to what it is currently being static preps. Oh, and Im going to need that address from you so my family and I can be part of the yahoo's that show up!

LUNCHBOX
12-12-2011, 07:17 AM
I am still geared for the bug-in mode, allthough it will be temporary at best. I will still be on site for a few weeks at least. (Then we're on our way to "Yahoo-ville")

izzyscout21
12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I pretty much did the same thing as you did Izzy, geared my stuff from Bug Out Bags to what it is currently being static preps. Oh, and Im going to need that address from you so my family and I can be part of the yahoo's that show up!

I'll be sure to get you a grid.:)

Stormfeather
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
I'll be sure to get you a grid.:)

8 or 10 digit? Cause my land nav skills are pretty good to go!

izzyscout21
12-13-2011, 12:39 AM
whichever you prefer.

bring your guns......ALL of them....