PDA

View Full Version : Manitoba Wolf

Sniper-T
12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
This guy was caught about 15 miles from my place:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/wolf.jpg

from here:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/t....-180478121.html

Manitoba Conservation officials believe the report of a Birds Hill-area man who says he recently trapped and killed a wolf within 25 kilometres of Winnipeg's downtown.

The mature wolf, which had apparently killed a number of pet dogs belonging to area residents, was trapped several days before Remembrance Day southeast of Birds Hill Provincial Park near Garven Road and Provincial Road 206.

Photos of the animal, estimated to be about 70 kilograms, and the man who caught it have circulated on Twitter and email. Manitoba Conservation was at first hesitant to verify the photos -- it says too many other bogus ones circulate on the Internet -- but now believes they are real.

"This one I think is going to be legitimate," Ken Rebizant, the manager of the big game unit with the wildlife branch of Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship, said Wednesday.

The trapper, who lives in the area, declined to be interviewed.

Rebizant said sightings of wolves in the Birds Hill area and the rest of southern Manitoba are rare.

"We probably get around three to five reports of wolves being in the very southern end of their range in Manitoba," said Rebizant. "By southern end, I mean the southern Interlake and south to the U.S. border."

He said more common areas for wolves in the southern region is in the Sandilands area to the Minnesota border, Spruce Woods Provincial Park, Riding Mountain National Park and occasional sightings in the Turtle Mountain area.

Manitoba's estimated wolf population is about 4,000, with hunters and trappers taking about 500 each year.

Rebizant believes there's been an increase in the wolf population during the past two decades, an increase he attributes to a downturn in trapping because of lower pelt values. At the same time, more people are reporting seeing them because of the emergence of the Internet and mobile devices.

"The other thing, too, is deer populations have been healthy in the province," he said. "Their prey base is good."

Wolves also prey on beaver, elk and moose.

While there have been no reports of a wolf feeding on dogs in the Birds Hill area, there have been reports of such behaviour in Thompson, Rebizant said. "Wolves are opportunistic. They will take an easy meal."

He added the province has brought in a trapper incentive program -- $250 per wolf -- in hunting areas that have been closed to moose hunting. The province wants to increase the moose population by reducing predator numbers.

"Our wolf population is healthy," he said.

The wolf population in Minnesota is also healthy. The state held its first regulated wolf hunt this fall. It closed last Sunday with 147 wolves being harvested.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources initially set a statewide limit of 200 wolves for the early season.

The Minnesota agency issued 3,600 permits to early season wolf hunters and 2,400 permits for late-season hunters and trappers. The second season runs Saturday to Jan. 31. Since hunters fell short of the early season's 200-wolf quota by 53 wolves, the DNR will increase the late-season quota by 53, meaning the total harvest for both seasons cannot exceed 400 wolves.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

In other sightings, cougars on prowl

THERE have been two confirmed sightings this year of the one of the rarest animals in the province, the cougar.

"Both are based on trail cameras," said Bill Watkins, who manages the province's cougar-surveillance program. "One was on the edge of Riding Mountain National Park and one in the Interlake last month."

Watkins said that, in most cases, cougars spotted in Manitoba are young males that have made their way here from the northern U.S. states where the cougar population is more established. They've most likely been pushed out by older males.

Both North and South Dakota have recently increased their hunting quotas for cougars, or mountain lions as they're called there, because of the high numbers, he said.

But in Manitoba, Watkins estimates there might only be a dozen cougars, and none in Birds Hill Provincial Park.

"People around Birds Hill are absolutely convinced there's cougars living in the park, but we've never, ever confirmed one in that area," said Watkins. "The closest confirmation is Stead, which is to the northeast."

He also said his office gets photos of large paw prints from people who think they were made by cougars. But most are made by large dogs, coyotes or wolves.

"People see claw marks and automatically assume that it's a cougar because it's got big claws, but they forget, if you own a domestic cat, they retract their claws when they walk."

Watkins asks if Manitobans are using trail or remote cameras -- they're triggered by movement -- they should place it near a fresh deer or elk kill.

"If anyone picks up a cougar on their trail camera, please let us know," he said.

"I suspect there's hundreds of photos out there that people just aren't telling us about."

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 22, 2012 A2

izzyscout21
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Good Lord, that's a big dude.

Grumpy Old Man
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
That is one big canine Sniper! Have you ever bagged one?

Sniper-T
12-07-2012, 05:03 PM
never one that big, but yeah, I've probably killed over 100 in my life.

When I was a kid, my dad used to take us out ice fishing to a remote place infested with them. we'd 'blind in' and fish for the day, and bait them in with the fish guts/blood. An average day would net a dozen or two. The hides weren't worth much back then, but the goal was always to make enough to pay for the trip (gas for the trucks, the snowmobiles, and the chainsaws, food, bait, etc)

msomnipotent
12-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Either that guy is really short, or that thing looks like a lion. I had no idea they were that big. The ones in our zoo look more like coyotes.

Cougars are spreading out everywhere. My father saw one dead on the side of a road a few miles from his house with a cop standing over it scratching his head like he didn't know what to do about it. He is only an hour or less southwest from Chicago.

Stormfeather
12-08-2012, 05:03 AM
holy bejezzus. . .that thing is huge

robsdak
12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
+1 on the BIG part. i had a Malamute/Wolf Hybrid that weighed in at 110lbs and looking at that picture made Beau look like a puppy.

speaking of 'Cougars', we have the Black Panther here in Florida and it's nice to see the numbers coming up. not that i have any real data or proof, other than i am seeing them in places that they weren't before.

izzyscout21
12-08-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm going to have to go back and watch "the Grey" again now..........

Dropy
12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
WOW. Here we go again with people stepping in to "balance" the ecology. More likely to screw it up some more.

That is a BIG wolf. ME, I am a wolf person and I never want to see one dropped simply for pleasure or financial gain. A wolf getting too used to humans is a danger and needs dealt with though.

Sniper-T
12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
There is a bounty on them (and coyotes), right now, so in addition to what you would earn for the hide, you also get paid to shoot/trap them.

There are just way too many around here right now.

robsdak
12-09-2012, 09:38 PM
WOW. Here we go again with people stepping in to "balance" the ecology. More likely to screw it up some more.

That is a BIG wolf. ME, I am a wolf person and I never want to see one dropped simply for pleasure or financial gain. A wolf getting too used to humans is a danger and needs dealt with though.

i tend to agree. i am not a big fan of killing just to be killing. if they are problematic i am all for thinning the herd, but doing it for money not so much.

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 12:14 AM
The money is the incentive to get more people killing them. In the last year, the deer population has been so decimated, that the hunting has been restricted from up to 6 per person, down to 1-3, depending if you were willing to travel to hunt. Areas that have been abundant with deer, fowl, rabbits, etc, are now almost devoid, pets are not safe outdoors, and in certain areas children are not allowed to play outside without supervision.

A friend of mine works for wildlife control, and last year, they culled over 4000 coyotes, and over 1000 wolves, which is in addition to what hunters and trappers legally take. He figures that we may have put a small dent into their numbers. The moose population has been all but destroyed on the entire Eastern side of the province from the wolves, to the point that it is closed to all hunting, in the hopes that they will not become extinct. I've seen pictures of packs of wolves, numbering in the hundreds, it is estimated that a single pack like this will consume 2-3 moose per day.

Why are their numbers so nuts, you ask? because, about 6 years ago, the market for their fur fell through the basement, with all the PETA bitches, etc. With a hide worth nothing, and the amount of work involved trapping/hunting/ skinning/ stretching/ curing/ marketing. no one bothered. and it allowed the population to sky rocket. The only people happy right now are the insurance companies, as the number of deer/vehicle collisions are at an all time low.

You want a really scary thought for SHTF??? it isn't going to be the MZB's and roving gangs of thugs that you will need to be worried about. Once the sheeple start dying off in numbers, and there is an abundance of 'food' around, there will be a serious surge in the predator population, which will be by large unchecked by anyone.

mitunnelrat
12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
This looks as if it won't be a very popular opinion, but I would have no compunctions helping to cull their numbers. I view things more as a "circle of life" than being part of a food chain. Dirt grows plants that feed the herbivores, and the omnivores, which feed the carnivores, who may taste good themselves, or not, and if not they still provide furs which can help clothe and protect humans (and is one reason I'd love to drop a fur bearer that size, wow!), which has led to sales of the furs through human industry. The only flaw or error I can see in this cycle is the invention of burial vaults and coffins, which prevent the decomposition and absorption of our bodies into the dirt, which grows the... you get the idea. I really need to get my last will and testament done so I can be cremated and spread in forest.

But yeah, I don't see it being too many more years and MI will be in the same position. From what I'm reading, wolf numbers are already growing in the northern portion of my peninsula, and coyotes are already a huge problem in my AO.

Good luck up there, T.

Metrocruiser
12-10-2012, 01:54 AM
I was going to mention the Grey as well. Those were some big ass wolves in the movie and I thought it was just Hollywooded to make them into big monsters. Low and behold, they realy do get that large.

Sniper, do they get bigger than that poor guy?

I'm going to have to go back and watch "the Grey" again now..........

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
This one was estimated at 75 kg. or 165 lb. The current Canadian record stands at 235 lb's. Which is about another 1/3 bigger.

According to my DNR friend, if they can get another good cull on the wolves this year, they feel the numbers will be back at a mangeable level, and they'll remove the bounty in all but the most problematic areas. Their goal is around 4000 animals in population.

Coyotes on the other hand, he feels will be culled and possibly have a increase to the bounty, for at least another year or two. FRom the local paper:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/a-crash-course-in-hunting-coyotes-139567873.html

realist
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
They are soooooooo nice a soft. I would love to have one as a rug. They truly are a killing machine. If you want to clear out the wildlife in an area all you have to do it introduce a couple of wolves in the area. Their only predator is man and if we are held in check the population will run wild. They have decimated the deer and elk population in portions of Montana. When they are done they move on to another. They have recently had sightings of a wolf in Northern California. I pity the poor guy who kills that one because they will be jumped by the twenty or so Fish and Feathers guys hiding in the bush watching it....... This wolf is reported to have come from the Montana/Idaho area.

helomech
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I read a article about killing wolves and coyotes that states if you kill the alpha male or female you will have a population explosion. As long as the alpha male and female are alive they are the only ones in the pack that are allowed to breed, but if you kill the alpha then all in the pack start to breed until a new alpha couple take back over. We don't have any wolves, but I kill ever coyote, bobcat, wild dog or cat I see.

robsdak
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
yeah, my above comment is from the stand point that they are 'thinning the heard' for money. i had no idea that there is/was such a problem up there. down here the only problems we have where i am are from poachers,hogs and feral cats. most won't let outsiders on their property to hunt because a few have no respect for the property.

yotes, haven't become a problem yet, but i can see it coming.

mitunnelrat
12-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Since we're on the topic I'm actually pretty keyed up about it right now. One of my sisters is "talking to" a guy who apparently lives to hunt and fish. He just lent me a foothold trap and walked me through placing a dirt hole set. Awesome.

Sniper-T
12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Double check the regulations where yu are. Not many places allow leg hold trapping any more.

mitunnelrat
12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Its still good to go here.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10880-31600--,00.html

It is illegal to:

Use any kind of a trap other than a foothold, body-gripping or conibear-type trap unless specifically otherwise provided.

I actually have a couple traps of my own already, but I'd never set them, and when I was asking him some questions on getting them prepped properly he offered to bring a couple of his that already were, and gave me a field tutorial on setting them. I'll be walking out back shortly after this to go check it.

How are you guys catching them up there then? Snares?

Sniper-T
12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Power snares and body grippers

mitunnelrat
12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
lol. I just got a visual of a large canine sniffing at a HUGE body gripper... Maybe that Victor #440 I've heard about? :D

ETA: and the idea of a #110 was even funnier

Sniper-T
12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
From what I heard, it was a Victor 440 that took this guy. Had a log-cairn type of otter set, with the trap at the entrance, and the bait in the back. wolfy stuck his nose in too far!

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Beaver+Otter+Traps/+440+CTM+(RBG)+Double+Spring+Round+Body+Grip+Trap

Eta: this is just the local rumor. There has been nothing offical about the type of trap, or set.

mitunnelrat
12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Wow! lol... Here I thought I was making a pretty good reference to a non-existent product as a joke, and they're real! I just learned something.

And a 12" spread on that bad boy! I can see how it would be able to work, the tension on those springs has got to be astronomical.

Sniper-T
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I personally find it hard to believe that that big wolf coundn't pull his head out. Unless it crushed his trachaea or something.

mitunnelrat
12-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll definitely have to defer to you on that, since much of this is still just "academic" for me. I just recall that MI has restrictions on size and placement of these traps to protect hounds, so I figured a #440 would be capable of doing the job. Your qualifier makes sense.

helomech
12-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Double check the regulations where yu are. Not many places allow leg hold trapping any more.

Really, I though it was legal most places. It is in Texas, and Louisiana

Sniper-T
12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
slowly become less and less so...

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/trapping/humane/index.html

Taz Baby
12-13-2012, 03:07 AM
Sorry but my spirit animal is a Wolf and I think it is just wrong to shoot ANY animal unless you are going to eat it or it is going to eat you. But then that is just my Cherokee way.

Kodiak
12-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Damn! I would hate to run into that beast out in the woods, my big ass would be up a tree in a hurry.

Sniper-T
12-13-2012, 01:37 PM
It is the eeriest feeling when you are out wandering around in the bush, and you come back out to your own tracks and you find a set (or several sets) of wolf tracks following you!