PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Stove Ideas

Gunfixr
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Went on the hunting trip this week. It turned out a bust, but only on the hunting part.
Our camp was one of those "instant garage" tents you set up, uses steel poles and tarps tied over it on the tops, sides, and ends, with options to leave off what you want to make it open ended or open sides. We had two thirds of it closed up, with the last third only having a roof. This gave us a "cabin" area with a front porch.
For heat, we had a wood stove. A home made one the guys whipped up out of what was at hand.
It started with a 30 gallon steel barrel. Make sure it doesn't have any flammable residue in it. One end had already been removed, so a piece of plate was drilled and the top of the barrel drilled so that a hinge could be screwed onto the plate and barrel. This served as a flat surface for cooking, and the hinge allowed for opening up to put in larger pieces of wood than would fit through the door opening. Later, after some other modifications, it was realized that this would be unnecessary, and the lid should ideally be welded on. An opening was cut in the side, with the piece removed becoming the door. Steel about 3/4" or 1" wide was screwed to the barrel around the opening to act as a door stop, and to help close the gap around the door. Closing all gaps helps to control leaks, both draft leaks, which take away your control of the burn, and smoke leaks, which keep you from filling your abode with smoke. This was also a reason to just weld down the lid, instead of hinging it. Weight had to be kept on the top, to keep down the smoke level in the tent. A hinge was screwed to the door panel and the barrel, and a short piece of small angle iron was screwed to both the door panel and the barrel. The door hinges closed, and the piece of the angle iron sticking off the door sits on the piece on the barrel. A hole drilled into both to line up once the door is closed allows it to be latched closed. A row of about 1" or so holes was cut into the front of the barrel just over the bottom, about 4 or 5 of them, below the door opening. These are the draft holes, to feed the fire fresh air. There is no control with this setup, so it consumes wood at a pretty good rate. A flue hole is cut into the back side rather near the top. It's size is determined by the flue and chimney size to be used, ours was 6", but 4" should be plenty. 6" was what was around. The flue was screwed to the back of the stove. Some fire bricks were set int he bottom of the barrel, arranged to allow a grate to sit on them. This is where the fire is built, on the grate. Fresh air comes in the holes below the grate and feeds the flames, and ash collects in this bottom area. The whole thing sits on something non flammable, high enough so that heat transfer to whatever makes up the floor doesn't become a problem.
It was discovered that while it put off heat, the top did not get hot enough to cook with. Too much of the fire and heat was turning directly into the flue and up the chimney, bypassing the top. A coffee can with one end removed, and a hole cut into one side was fitted into the flue opening inside the stove, with the side hole facing upwards. This forces the heat and smoke which will go out the chimney to first go up and hit the top of the stove, before turning down into the flue and going out. Now it cooks very well. This now prevents large pieces from being put in the stove, so the hinged lid is now no longer useful.
To bypass welding the lid on, short pieces of angle iron could be used spaced around the top of the barrel to screw the lid down onto the top. The top is made form a piece that is square, and larger than the stove body itself. This allows pots to be set off to the side, away from the main heat, where food can be just kept warm.
Basically, all that is needed is the barrel, or pieces of steel that can be put together to make the stove body, the top (and bottom if assembling from pieces), a heavy duty hinge, a flue adapter, some flat bar and angle iron and sheet metal screws. A way to cut a hole in the stove body, and to cut the flat bar and angle iron is needed, as well as a way to install the screws. 3 or 4 fire bricks, and a piece of grate are also needed, as well as a chimney. We used a piece of flexible chimney liner, which is like a piece of heavy duty flexible duct. We had the stove sitting on two concrete blocks, but it was on a dirt floor, so I don't really know if that would be suitable for all situations. With more angle iron, legs could be fabricated and screwed onto the stove body.

Gunfixr
12-08-2012, 09:44 PM
How does this translate into an emergency stove?
Well, it has been an idea in my head for some time (since spending pretty much a whole winter with no heat 2yrs ago) about how to put a stove in a house without any provisions for one in times of emergency.
My idea was to either open a window, or knock out half of one, and install a plate into the hole with a stove jack in it. Then, a stove could be set up in the room with the chimney simply going out the window. Precautions for heat not to set the building on fire would be taken, and you would then have a source of heat and a place to cook indoors so long as you had wood, in almost any abode.
I, and the builders of this stove will be working on improvements to this design, after having seen it in action. When I come up with a working model, I'll post plans. During discussion on this, it seems my friends had much the same idea.

apssbc
12-08-2012, 11:18 PM
How does this translate into an emergency stove?
Well, it has been an idea in my head for some time (since spending pretty much a whole winter with no heat 2yrs ago) about how to put a stove in a house without any provisions for one in times of emergency.
My idea was to either open a window, or knock out half of one, and install a plate into the hole with a stove jack in it. Then, a stove could be set up in the room with the chimney simply going out the window. Precautions for heat not to set the building on fire would be taken, and you would then have a source of heat and a place to cook indoors so long as you had wood, in almost any abode.
I, and the builders of this stove will be working on improvements to this design, after having seen it in action. When I come up with a working model, I'll post plans. During discussion on this, it seems my friends had much the same idea.

I dont see why this would be a problem. The only thing to keep in mind is to get the chimney above the roof peak. Or if you have and low pitch to get it up enough to measure out 4-6ft from the side of the chimney cap to the roof. This will give you enough cerance and not mess up the draft from the chimney. Also dont forget you will need support for all that chimney pipe so youl have to secure it to the side of the house.

ANEURYSM
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Gunfixer you talking bout a stove to heat with or emergency cooking , or duel purpouse?

Ive seen some portable stoves made from old ammo cans and a really cool one from an old 20# propaine tank.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/MuleySniper/cabin/001-2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/MuleySniper/cabin/003-1.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/MuleySniper/cabin/004-2.jpg

Gunfixr
12-11-2012, 02:32 AM
This one is dual purpose.
All you really need for that is a stove that has a flat top, as they all give off heat.
The ammo can stoves are neat, but a bit on the small size for this.
Basically, I'm just describing a stove that was thrown together from materials that were laying around for the purpose of both heating and cooking in a small garage sized tent.
Such a stove would also serve to heat and cook in a house, although it may not heat the whole house very well, depending on the size of the house.
It was to be a somewhat temporary thing, and could use some improvement, but for being thrown together worked remarkably well. It was already made when I arrived.
I had been thinking about something like this for the house for some time, and this stove is close to what I could use.
Yes, the chimney would have to be set up correctly, and precautions taken to keep from setting the house on fire from having the stove too close to something flammable, but since I have yet to build one and work on setting it up, I didn't see the need to go into that yet.
This idea is by no means finished, it is in transition.

Sniper-T
12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
make sure you blok it up properly if you are putting a barrel stove inside your house. The steel isn't that thick on them, and I'd hate to think of the bottom burning out and dumping your fire/coals/embers on your livingroom floor.

I get the emergency possibility thing, but if that is the case then get some emergency possibility fire bricks to make a secure base

Gunfixr
12-12-2012, 02:06 AM
My plan is to actually build a stove, and it will be of heavier materials than a barrel.
The fire will not rest on the bottom. It shouldn't anyway, as there needs to be a place for ash to collect.
Mine will probably have legs on it.

greg48
12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
around here back in the 70's the barrel stoves were very popular. put some fire brick in the and they'll last a very long time. there are some farm stores around here that have a "barrel stove kit", you just provide the barrel, come with door and legs etc...